So what's the "official" policy?
Short version please.
This is a discussion on The Sheriff, CCW Policy, And The Republican Party within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Things are getting interesting in Orange County California The Sheriff, CCW Policy, And The Republican Party | Red County The issue of concealed carry weapons(CCW) ...
Things are getting interesting in Orange County California
The Sheriff, CCW Policy, And The Republican Party | Red CountyThe issue of concealed carry weapons(CCW) policy has reached the inner sanctum of the Republican Party here locally in OC. It has been bubbling up ever since the new sheriff decided that she was going to implement her own views regarding this policy after she was appointed sheriff last year. Last month, an effort was mounted by Bruce Whitaker of the Central Committee to pass a resolution of no confidence against Mrs Hutchens' CCW policy. It narrowly missed getting the necessary two thirds vote to take up the issue under suspension of the rules by three votes, 24 to 16.
The issue now resides in the party's Resolution Committee. Chairman Scott Baugh appointed me as the new chairman of the committee at the last meeting. The political "hot potato" is now in my lap. It is my job to call a meeting of the committee and report back what happened to the Executive Committee. I have chosen the date of Saturday April 4th at 10am at a place TBD. My intention is to have the meeting be as open as possible and let as many Republicans as possible come speak their piece on this issue...this includes the sheriff, should she desire to come down and explain her policy to the committee. As soon as the location is nailed down, I will be sending her an invitation to speak. I have to say that going into this, alot of central committee members are very disturbed by her stated policy of narrowly interpreting the law that gives her wide discretion about issuing permits. This issue cuts to the core of our civil liberties and Constitution. It should be an interesting and lively meeting.
The members of the Resolution Committee are: Allan Bartlett(chairman), Kristine Alonzo, Mark McCurdy, the Honorable Thomas Fuentes, Pat Burnes, Craig Alexander, and Marcia Gilchrist.
So what's the "official" policy?
Short version please.
Guns are bad, people with guns very bad. Concealed Carried guns are the worst.
She's revoked peoples CCLs for literally no reason.
I would think a couple of high dollar law suits by those who have had their right to carry illegally revoked would be a good starting point. How much liability is the city placing itself in by condoning her actions?
Even though I live in Colorado, I've been a member of California Concealed Weapon (CCW) Forum for over a year & have kept up to date on that situation as it has unfolded over the last several months. This is what really happened:
- As you know, California is a May Issue state & CCWs are issued by your county sheriff on many stringent criteria, among which, "Good Cause" is one
- Orange County is a very conservative area
- Michael Carona, the elected sheriff, gets indited on several corruption charges BUT, he had a very reasonable policy of CCW issuance, the best in the state for such a large (3 million people) metropolitan county. Carona resigns in the face of the indictment.
- County Board of Supervisors (BOS) appoints Sandra Hutchins, a retired, former assistant Sheriff from Los Angeles County to serve the unexpired term (about two years) of Mike Carona. In Los Angeles County, only celebrities & the rich or influential are issued CCWs.
- During the interview process with the BOS for the sheriff job, Hutchens is asked about what her CCW policy would be. She tells the BOS only that she would follow the law. To the media she says she doesn't see any major changes in the issuance of CCWs.
- She is appointed sheriff from a list of about a dozen candidates and the very first thing she does is send letters out to about 400 CCW holders (Orange county only had about 1,100 CCW holders to begin with) telling them that their "Good Cause" for carrying a concealed weapon is no longer good enough and their CCWs will be revoked unless they can supply a better "Good Cause".
- Instead of just taking it lying down, the CCW holders have banded together and formed a PAC, OCCCWS | Together We Win and is challenging her ruling.
- The county BOS became alarmed and tried to dissuade their newly appointed sheriff but to no avail. When the BOS asked her why, she said that the indictment of the previous sheriff called to question his issuance policies i.e he issued to contributors & cronies, so she was forced to review all the CCWs. Research has shown that only 94 CCWs issued by Carona were issued to anyone who contributed to his campaign.
- She has adamantly clung to a 32 year old letter, calling it an opinion, written by the then California Attorney General regarding "Good Cause". The letter had nothing to do with issuance of CCWs but she cites it as Gospel, stating that she is required to follow the law.
- Meanwhile, many other counties in SoCal, like Kern & San Bernadino continue to issue for no other reason other than self defense.
- The Orange County (OC) citizens say she is applying Los Angeles county methods to OC and they don't like it.
- A whole litany of blunders by Hutchins is now in the news out there, including:
- Using SWAT officers in plain clothes to harrass CCW holders at a BOS meeting
- Spying on the most vocal BOS members who disagree with her position on CCW
- Refusing to comply with Public Information Requests
- The CCW revocation of the former California Republican Party Chairman
- The sheriff's new command staff, her hires from LAPD & LASO, were caught sending derogatory text messages to each other about the CCW holders AND individual BOS members on county owned 'Blackberries'.
It is just unbelievable what she has done to honest, law abidding CCW holders, just because she disagrees with the policy of the previous sheriff and just because she can.
Postscript on Former Sheriff Carona: He was acquitted on all charges except one, witness tampering (he tried to talk someone who he thought was a friend, out of testifying against him). He is appealing this conviction and may well win it.
An armed populace are called citizens.
An unarmed populace are called subjects.
I'm so glad I left California!!!
Sounds like they need to impeach their Sheriff to me. I don't see how you need a "better reason" than self defense to get a carry permit. Corruption in law enforcement though... nothing new unfortunately. Way to go giving the LEO's that do a good job a bad rap Sheriff.
AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
"Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."
I grew up in California and moved away due to employment. For almost 25-years I missed it. Now, I’m soOoo glad I don’t live there.
I would sooner move to another country that doesn't allow guns than move to California. I've been to Australia a couple of times and it's beautiful!
Sorry but I have issue with California laws concerning guns. I have actually had to give up a few jobs as a welder because they were in California.
I am so glad I "escaped" from the PRK (Los Angeles) in the 80's; no desire to ever go back.
The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
The second rule: "Bring enough gun"
jfl (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)
The only reason someone may reside in CA is because they used to live in IL...
It's a trifecta...
CA May Issue
Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Life Member
I saw this Sheriff and the BOD on TV. The female BOD that were there seemed to be Nancy Pelosi wannbes. Very liberal. The two were onboard with the Sheriff.
Heavily Medicated For Your Protection
Kommiefornia is no longer part of the US IMO.
I hope I never have to go there for a gig.
My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks