How do you disarm before going into a gun free zone?

This is a discussion on How do you disarm before going into a gun free zone? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, My CCP has not arrived yet but I'm thinking through some scenarios in advance. What do you all do when you have to go ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you disarm before going into a gun free zone?

Hi,

My CCP has not arrived yet but I'm thinking through some scenarios in advance.

What do you all do when you have to go into a business or school where you are not allowed to carry - Do you stash your gun in a lock box in your car/truck? Center console, glove box, hidden holster?

How do you disarm without the others in the car getting a whiff?

I often get takeout from restaurants that sell alcohol, seems like this issue will come up frequently for me.

I'll be carrying a full sized 1911 in a CrossBreed SuperTuck, so removing the holster might be a bit of a job while seated.

Thanks!
    tm

I keep mine in one of these: In Car Gun Safe

I have the cable wrapped around the bottom of my seat and its pushed between the seat and the center console.

I just take the gun and extra mag out and put it in the box and keep my holster on.

As far as taking it off without anyone noticing, I just look around and if there isn't someone standing right next to my truck they will not know what I am doing. Most people are too busy with what they are doing and/or oblivious to notice what you are doing inside of your car.

If I have to take it out, I do so while in the truck. Like heavymetalman said, most speople are too busy going about their own lives to worry about what anyone else is doing.

I usually goes into the hidden compartment and the truck is locked. I leave the holster on. I too have a Supertuck for my 1911. I don't believe that I have ever been spotted.
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

Locked in a gun guard in my truck, it is attached to a cable locked to my seat mount.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    I do the same thing.

Although I bought the same safe as the COM one here at Midway:

MidwayUSA - Secure-It Large Pistol Security Box 9-1/2" x 6-1/2" x 1-3/4" Steel Black

VIP Member
    It depends, if I am alone I lock it in a COM and lock the truck. If my wife is with me I just stick it in the center console. I leave the holster on and reholster when I get back in my truck.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    +1 "Heavymetalman", I use the same lock box under the seat. A few weeks ago I went to a university for a basketball game so I removed my holster also. To run in and out of a place I leave the holster in place.

Semper Fi

I place it in a holster that I keep in my truck door pocket. I rarely have to do this but it has always worked well for me and the door offers good visual protection when doing this.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post

I have the cable wrapped around the bottom of my seat and its pushed between the seat and the center console.

I just take the gun and extra mag out and put it in the box and keep my holster on.

As far as taking it off without anyone noticing, I just look around and if there isn't someone standing right next to my truck they will not know what I am doing. Most people are too busy with what they are doing and/or oblivious to notice what you are doing inside of your car.
    +1. We have COM's in both cars. Both safes are keyed alike.

FWIW, before getting the COM's, I never felt uncomfortable leaving it in the center console for a quick stop. No doubt the COM provides an extra measure of security though.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    I keep a nice face towel or two in the car at all times. I can easily drape that over a pocket (or waist band if I IWBd) and remove a weapon without anyone seeing what I took from my pocket. I quickly wrap the gun in the towel and no one sees.

I have had one time when someone walked up to shake my hand while I was doing this, but he quickly got the idea that I didn't want him to come closer---and never asked why; he probably thought I spilled cola on my pants and was cleaning up.

I had to enter a gun free zone once while riding my motorcycle,I just field stripped my gun and took everything but the receiver into the facility with me,since the receiver is the "gun"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I keep a nice face towel or two in the car at all times.
    I do the same thing. I keep a couple of towels from the gym in the car. I can use it to drape my gun or hide my cell phone while I am in the gym or at a rest stop.

However, I make sure it is one nasty towel. I use it to wipe up spills and even grease that gets on the car. I want a car-surfing thief to see the nasty towel and assume no one would leave anything of value under that old rag.

Even though we can afford better, the missus and I drive very modest vehicles. There's no sense profiling around town in a righteous whip just to show off to people you don't even know. I drive a beat up old Honda and don't worry about attracting undue attention downtown, nor worry about leaving my ride with a valet.

In my service job I'm always in & out of places all day long, from 3-6 every day. I always disarm at hospitals, schools, and educational locations. As far as bars and chain restaurants (Applebees, Chilis, TGIF, etc) I always carry. It's a close call with Michigans 50% sales alchohol rule, but I work late and it's a competing harm thing to me. My life is worth the difficulty of breaking that one, the school and hospital stuff would go badly I think, so I (grudgingly) accept and respect that.

Oh yeah, my EDC XD9 rides in a Supertuck, when I do disarm I leave the holster attached and just remove the firearm... Too much work otherwise!
    Last edited by Openroad; March 31st, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

Living in Florida that almost never happens

When it does, I just put the pistol in the center console, and leave my OWB holster on. Or if Iím pocket carrying the little 380 Kel-Te I leave it in the nemesis holster, and put them both in the center console.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    " he probably thought I spilled cola on my pants and was cleaning up."
    Or perhaps he thought you were in the middle of rubbin' one off!

Sorry man, just couldn't help it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links