Odd question

This is a discussion on Odd question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I am from NC and new to the Forum, and I have some fairly peculiar questions. I have never much been one for ...

Thread: Odd question

Odd question

Hello all, I am from NC and new to the Forum, and I have some fairly peculiar questions.
    I have never much been one for handguns, mostly because of a lack of exposure and finances, and have to date much preferred (and been highly effective with) a blade or nonlethal (with as few mechanical, and thus fallible, parts as possible) deterrant. I have recently begun experimenting with what I see as "unconventional" devices, such as nonexplosive (dispersive with no fire or boom-boom needed) smoke/pepper bombs, small weighted chains/ropes, bolos, caltrops, etc. I have never had much issue with LEOs regarding my choices of self-defense devices, aside from not being able to get a consistent answer regarding my balisong, and I would very much like to keep it that way. Here's where I need some clarification: what classifies an object as a "weapon" (legally), what then classifies said "weapon" as "nonlethal" or "less than lethal", and what legal issues might I have in carrying multiple such devices, either/both concealed or openly?
    Also, just out of curiosity and because I can't find an answer anywhere else, what is the maximum size of fixed-blade pointy-cutty thing that can be carried openly in NC, and under what conditions?

2. Remove Ads

Im not entirely sure, but i think you should be able to find your answer here. http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/nc.txt

Also if anyone else is wondering about your state you can look it up here KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS

Cool

For non-lethal, try pepper spray or the disorienting strob lights.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    This is a tough one at best. I can't give and solid info for NC, but be careful many States classify things based on your use and intent. example:

A razor "box cutter" is a tool if you are a construction worker or work for UPS. If you are not a construction worker, it is a deadly weapon. If you use it in a fight, it is a deadly weapon.

So all of the things you carrying may be concealed dangerous/deadly weapons based on your intent to carry them as weapons.

Having your concealed carry license gives specific legal protection to carry a firearm. In my opinion, it leaves you on much clearer legal ground. The cost training, licensing, firearms, and ammo is manageable. Do you best to work had and save and you will make it.

VIP Member
    You can go to handgunlaws.us and check NC for concealed carry regulations. Here is part of it pertaining to knives:

A. Carrying Concealed Weapons
    North Carolina law strictly controls the ability of individuals to carry weapons
    concealed. Except under the limited concealed handgun permit provisions of state law, described in Sections III. B and III. C of this publication, it is unlawful for any person in North Carolina, except when on his or her own premises, to willfully and intentionally carry concealed, either on or about his or her person, any "Bowie Knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stungun, or other deadly weapon of like kind.” Specifically exempted from the requirements of this law are ordinary pocket knives carried in a closed position. An ordinary pocket knife is defined as being "a small knife,
    that is designed to be carried in a pocket or purse, which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle. The knife must not be capable of being opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action." N.C. Gen. Stat. 14-269
    Whether, in a given case, a weapon is concealed from the public, is a question of fact to be resolved by a jury. By using the phrase "concealed about his or her person," this law makes it illegal to have a weapon concealed not only on a person, but also within a person's convenient control and easy reach.
    As far as pepper spray it is legal for a non felon to carry pepper spray, but I believe there is a size (amount) limit on it.

In NC a knife is a weapon and can not be concealed with or without and NC CHP.

Thank you for your input, mes freres. It has been quite informative, especially from archer51.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    In NC a knife is a weapon and can not be concealed with or without and NC CHP.
    Same in TN. No knives over 4 blade lenght, and no clubs. With the intent to go armed. So, long fillet knive OK if your fishing. And base ball bat ok if your headed to a game or practise. And you cannot get a permit for these. Only hanguns

Links