Going to the beach...help me with laws.

This is a discussion on Going to the beach...help me with laws. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I live in WV, I am going to Ocean Isle, NC/Myrtle Beach SC in July, and need to know the CCW laws for VA, ...

OK I live in WV, I am going to Ocean Isle, NC/Myrtle Beach SC in July, and need to know the CCW laws for VA, NC, and SC. I know I can probably link up on the other available sites, just wanting to know about any of the quirky rules and regs out there.

Thanks In advance
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

In South Carolina...DO NOT carry in any place that serves alcohol...especially restaurants. If stopped, present your permit whether asked or not.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Same is true for VA and NC, don't carry if they sell alcohol.

Go to handgunlaw.us and click on each state that you are going to visit. It will pop up a .pdf file that you can print and peruse at your leisure. Each file will give you a good idea of what you can and can't do for each state.

Do not conceal a 460 magnum in a speedo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

You might get a lot of attention from the ladies though.

Main difference I can see from WV other than the one about restaurants that serve alcohol is Hospitals,Churches and government bulding

SC is a little more strict than NC and VA so definitely pay particular attention to that states laws. I remember when I got my permit the instructor telling a story of how he had to pull over at South of the Border (in SC) to put his weapons in the trunk due to the state laws.

In the event that you get pulled over for speeding in NC, you have to tell the officer up front that you are carrying (not true in VA).

I'm sure there are other differences that you will need to know but theses are the ones that I know of.
    "If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise I won't miss" - Jack Bauer

Is it a nude beach ???

Quote Originally Posted by jopa11 View Post
    SC is a little more strict than NC and VA so definitely pay particular attention to that states laws. I remember when I got my permit the instructor telling a story of how he had to pull over at South of the Border (in SC) to put his weapons in the trunk due to the state laws.
    Huh? In SC, we can legally carry a loaded firearm in the glove box or console without a permit. If you're carrying a bag full of guns ... sure, it's probably best to put it in the trunk, but that holds true pretty much everywhere. In NC, having a gun out of view but within reach is considered a concealed weapon, so it better be in the trunk unless you have a permit.

I've actually found NC to be a little more strict, mainly due to the "assemblies" and "public gatherings" clauses in their handgun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

dukalmighty beat me to it!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

No thong either....

VIP Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Same is true for VA and NC, don't carry if they sell alcohol.
    In VA you can carry in a resturant that sells alcohol -- it just nees to be OC, not CC.

If just driving through NC, most of the rest is about the same. However, if spending any time at Ocean Isle, NC, there are a couple of gotchas to look out for -- 1) Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged; 2) Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon.
    Last edited by DaveH; April 1st, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spacing
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    In VA you can carry in a resturant that sells alcohol -- it just nees to be OC, not CC....
    True, but since this thread is in a concealed carry discussion I worded my answer in that vein.

Links