Just Spoke to DPS

This is a discussion on Just Spoke to DPS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just spoke with a man at the DPS CHL office to inquire about my application and was told they are not intering apps in ...

Thread: Just Spoke to DPS

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Just Spoke to DPS

I just spoke with a man at the DPS CHL office to inquire about my application and was told they are not intering apps in the system for 4 - 6 weeks. Has anyone spoken with a DPS rep recently?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    ouch, first I've heard of that
    so are you saying since they're behind on processing that apps aren't being entered or that for some other reason the process is suspended for a time period?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Yeah, I called them after 40 days waiting and they told me just to wait. After 43 days i finally received my pin# so im still waiting.
    ""If you dont like America than get the hell out"".

Quote Originally Posted by zachgry View Post
    Yeah, I called them after 40 days waiting and they told me just to wait. After 43 days i finally received my pin# so im still waiting.
    I recieved my pin # via email. I sent mine in 3/9/09. It hasnt been a complete 4 weeks yet. What does your status say on the DPS web page? Mine still says Cetificate/License not active.

just be patient lads, it will come, I got so anxious it was driving my wife nuts!once you get your pin # you can see the progress
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Mine and my wife's came in on day #60. Day #1 was when I knew from registered mail that it was in the office. 60 days, as advertised.

I just put a call in to my CHL instructor to see if he has heard anything about this 4-6 week hold. I will let you know if I hear anything.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

That sounds fishy to me. Maybe the dude just wanted to get off the phone. I have never heard of them just halting the processing for 4 to 6 weeks. They are back logged enuff as it is. Could you imagine if they just shut it down?

Be patient young grasshopper it will come.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    just be patient lads, it will come, I got so anxious it was driving my wife nuts!once you get your pin # you can see the progress
    I got my pin # 3 1/2 weeks ago and my status is still No License/ Certificate active. I had a class A misdemeanor in 2001 (non domestic violence), but was told by my instructor that since it has been over five years I should be good to go. I sent a copy of the judgement with my application also.

Don't be so antsy, men.

The Florida state legislature had to approve $3.5M in emergency funding to process the backlog of 180,000+ new applications received in the fourth quarter of 2008.

The law in Florida states issue within 90 days, the current time period for receipt of license is approximately 86 days.

While the longer than usual wait may be annoying, the good news is that so many new CC permits are being issued now, we will have a much greater group of voters to fight anti-gun legislation.

I suspect that Texas is in the same boat, a tremendous increase in the number of applicants far beyond anything that they had staffed up for.

I will say that it is really good day when it arrives in the mail.

Capt. Art

mkh
    Just got my Florida CCW today - 92 days from mailbox to mailbox.

I just got off the phone with my Texas CHL instructor. He said that he has not heard anything about a 4-6 week processing halt at Texas DPS. He is having problems getting blank proficiency certificates to use in his classes. And he did report that demand for his classes has continued to sky rocket. He is far busier now than he was last fall -- and last fall he thought demand for CHL classes had gone through the roof. Demand continues to increase. So no doubt they are just buried over at DPS.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

I will just be happy when my status changes to "Processing Application". Then I'll know that they are atleast working on mine. It would appear that they havent even opened my packet yet which is BS considoring it has been a month!

From what I have been told by people in your same postition (meaning with a class A Misdemeanor) you better not hold your breath. The guy that lives down the street had a class A, not domestic violence, and waited 7 months for his!!

Quote Originally Posted by wine6978 View Post
    From what I have been told by people in your same postition (meaning with a class A Misdemeanor) you better not hold your breath. The guy that lives down the street had a class A, not domestic violence, and waited 7 months for his!!
    Atleast he got it. I would be pretty unhappy if I was rejected after paying 300 bucks.

Links