Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With?

This is a discussion on Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn't like it ,but the gun beats no gun any day. I'd also remedy the situation as soon as humanly possible. Knowing that your ...

View Poll Results: Would you rather carry a gun you have never shot or would you go without a firearm?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is irresponsible to carry a weapon you have not personally tested, I would go without the gun.

67 24.54%
  • It's better to be armed with an unfamiliar weapon than to be defenseless, give me the gun.

206 75.46%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With?

I wouldn't like it ,but the gun beats no gun any day. I'd also remedy the situation as soon as humanly possible. Knowing that your gun will go bang when you need it is priceless.

2. Remove Ads

I have been around guns all my life so knowing the ''how to'' of operating it is not an issue. I would really be concerned about the functioning of the gun though.
    I answered no I would not carry because the correct answer is not there. As hard as it is to get ammo you can find it at least in small quantities in my area anyway. Even if I only put 50 rounds through it at first I would feel much better. I would rather pay a premium price to test it than to leave it to chance.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I have been around guns all my life so knowing the ''how to'' of operating it is not an issue. I would really be concerned about the functioning of the gun though.
    I answered no I would not carry because the correct answer is not there. As hard as it is to get ammo you can find it at least in small quantities in my area anyway. Even if I only put 50 rounds through it at first I would feel much better. I would rather pay a premium price to test it than to leave it to chance.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

By the way, stores in Waco have both 9mm & .40. Selection isn't great, but between two stores, I can feed all my guns (including my AR).
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I also had to choose to carry the unfamiliar gun. If for what ever reason I did not have a gun I knew, I would feel much better with that gun than unarmed because if something does go down I'm not built for hand to hand fighting, hell I'm just not built for it. Also as was said earlier, at least if the gun fails I still have a club

*edit* Forgot to mention that I would make it my top priority to get to know that gun asap.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Having a little mechanical knowledge, and a military background with function checks, I would pretty much feel comfortable with it.

Before I shoot any gun, ever; I will "rack" the full magazine through the gun, slingshot style. All the way back, released from full pull. If it jams here, it will likely jam on the range. There is obviously more kinetic energy in blowback from a round, but that would mainly affect ejection.

The slide doesn't "bounce" from the back. There is some transfer from the shooter, but most of the energy going forward is the spring, which can pretty much be effected by a full sling-shot pull.

Long story short, a good function check is always in order, but get to the range ASAP.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    IMHO -- the options are a false dilemma.
    And that is the fun of it... it makes us think.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    If I carry it, I have time to check how it works; when you have studied many different guns, you know most of the systems.

Now, if in the middle of a bad situation, I am unarmed (unlikely) and I can put my hands on a gun, any gun, you bet I'll take it.
    That's a really good answer, why didn't I think of it.???

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    The OP said something about "new gun owners"

I cannot condone a person carrying a firearm without basic training in functioning and safety. That includes live fire in my book. Hundreds of rounds...

This whole topic is sotra mute anyway- if you can't find any ammo, what are you going to put in it?!?! You will just be carrying around an empty gun aka "expensive rock"

How do you know the gun will fire or if it does fire will not jam on you? I will not carry a gun I have not fired and tested extensively to my satisfaction
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With?
    If I had no choice, yes I would.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    If the choice is carry it or nothing at all, gimme the gun.
    Me too. Although, if I had a day or two notice, you can bet I would have put 50-100 rounds through it.

rottkeeper is right though,
    ...the correct answer is not there...
    This issue isn't all black & white.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    And we have a winner. I have been around guns all my life. I would have no problem with any semi or wheel gun. It is kind of like a car if you can drive a ford a chevy is no problem. Now someone who has never shot before is kind of scary......but you know how many people get their permit and do just that?
    I think this is just what many of us were thinking. I'd trust myself to handle something unfamiliar, but there are lots of people nowadays actually carrying something they don't know all that well yet.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Give me the gun, it may not be tested, but it still can be a deterrent or even a rock with a handle.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

After answering the question I had to rethink my choice.

As much as I would prefer to fire ANY handgun I carry, I would carry a gun I had not fired if I had no other alternative. Not carrying a handgun now is not an opion. I still would feel uncomfortable carrying a handgun not knowing how well it functions. It's kind of like looking at a nice car without taking it to a mechanic. You don't know what you are getting or how it works.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Gimme the pistola!

It certainly isn't the best scenario. I definitely believe in training and practice. If I'm facing death or grave bodily harm however, I'd prefer to take the chance that my brand new, high quality firearm will perform as intended.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links