Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With?

This is a discussion on Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by McPatrickClan;1091986 Yes, I know you can have it shipped to your house and with a little hunting, you can find a decent ...

View Poll Results: Would you rather carry a gun you have never shot or would you go without a firearm?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is irresponsible to carry a weapon you have not personally tested, I would go without the gun.

67 24.54%
  • It's better to be armed with an unfamiliar weapon than to be defenseless, give me the gun.

206 75.46%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With?

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan;1091986
    Yes, I know you can have it shipped to your house and with a little hunting, you can find a decent price (in most cases). [B
    But there are a lot of people who are not aware of this and when they find that Wal-Mart and the big box stores are all sold out, they will be faced with the choice I put in the original poll. [/B] I don't like it either but it's a reality with the cost of ammo being what it is & the supplies being amazingly low, even in a place like Texas (where I live).
    If they are not aware they need to learn, responsible ownership does not mean just learning how to take the gun out of a box and holster it. Look at the number of new members that join here to acquire knowledge of handling, safety and how to and how not of ownership.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Yes, I'd carry the unfamiliar gun. If I'm confronted by a BG, I have a better chance to get him to flee if at least he knows I'm armed.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

A buddy let me borrow his Sig 229 for the weekend so that I could carry IWB because I'd like to purchase one. I carried it to the store, even though I had only shot it once-several months ago. This is a store that I frequent and feel safe. I would not have carried this weapon in to an area where I had never traveled before.
    Mykel

more later...

With so many people buying .380 and short 9MM autos, both of which I personaly have had real ammo issues (Function, FTFs) with, I would be leery of drawing a weapon in a last ditch effort (only time you can draw a gun in Tennessee!) and finding it doesn't function as advertised. I would even be leery with one of my revolvers if it were new. I have had snubbies spray all over the place without the right ammo. Answer is no. I won't carry a gun until at least one and preferably 10 range sessions with it.
    Drawing a gun with the hope it will scare somebody away means you need to take a serious look at your laws as to self defense. You also need to study up on criminal psychology. the only guy you will scare away probably wasn't a real threat to begin with. Guns are for shooting, not for scare tactics!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Now if it were a good buddy of mine I would most likely carry that gun. If it were someone who I did not know that well, I would have reservations about carrying a strange gun.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have before in the past just to get a feel of what it would be like to carry the gun I have never fired before. I occasionally carry my S&W 642 during quick trips to the store and maybe a drive thru for a bite to eat. I often wear sweat pants and a t-shirt while lounging at home, and if I must go out I just take my 642 with me and its something to have just in case I need to defend my life from a threat.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

If I need a gun,

If I need a gun, in a SHTF situation I would rather have an untested gun that I don't know how to use than an empty hand. If I can't get the safety off at least I can use it as a hammer!
    Any gun is better than the safe queen you foolishly left at home.

However as a matter of choice I would want to shoot any gun I plan on carrying.
    I would make sure to shoot a gun before using it as a carry gun.

PM
    If it is a SHTF situation; I am unarmed; I can get a gun; yours, someone elses or I am offered one --- you bet I will take a gun any gun. I can point and shoot and I bet that I can get close with the first shot --- Now I will be waiting an bit longer to engage targets so as to get them up close but hey it is a gun I have never shot.

Now, a non SHTF situation most likely not.

For this reason I did not vote in the poll.

For a personal EDC, nope. no way. If i'm in the middle of a furball then I'll take whatever i can get!
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

I voted yes, although it's a very unlikely scenario for me. I have several guns to choose from for carry, and practice with all of them. When I buy a new gun, I fire at least a couple hundred rounds through it before I will carry it.
    However, if the choice was between not carrying and carrying an unfamiliar gun, I'd carry it. Besides, I'm not a newbie, and have handled and fired many different types of handguns over the last 40 years. T think I could figure it out.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    We've all gotta start somewhere. If I were a non-gun owner and had an epiphany that I should purchase a gun and carry it, then hopefully I would have sense enough to look into how to safely handle and use it.

I do own several handguns and I generally don't carry one unless I've shot it to test it's function and become familiar with it. I have carried a new revolver that I had previously only dry fired. I carried it while I was fishing and I also took a familiar backup gun. But I don't think I'll ever carry a pistol without confirming that my choice of ammo feeds reliably.

The real question is not whether the operator can operate the pistol. The question is: ("Would you trust your life to a weapon that you have not proven to reliably operate mechanically with the ammunition currently in its magazine/cylinder?") In other words, do you trust the gun to function if you have never range fired it with several rounds?

I have, unfortunately experienced this problem for real. Not under life threatening conditions, but a real experience none-the-less. I purchased a small .380 ACP pistol that I really wanted to EDC. I bought an expensive holster and spare magazines (also high dollar!) for this pistol before firing it. After two years of sending it back to the factory gunsmiths and trying every different .380 ACP round I could find, I still cannot get through 1 magazine without a FTF! I have a "Gunsafe Queen" along with some pretty expensive accessories!

There was no "limp wristing" here, I have fired competition for over 40 years. The gun just is not reliable. It happens, I had a Colt Officers Model .45 20 years ago that was the same way, while at the same time I had 5 other Colt 1911s that were completely reliable. It just happens, and I will not trust my life to any gun, regardless of make, until I have fired at least 100 rounds through it with out problems.

Pulling out a gun is not a psychological ploy, it is an open challenge to be a priority target. The gun better go bang until I run out of ammo!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

If I need a gun, I'd rather have one I've never fired than none at all. And if the gun DOESN'T work, I'm no worse off than if I didn't have the gun to begin with, but if the gun DOES work, which is more likely, then I'm in a MUCH better position.

That being said, I agree with most everyone else. The likely hood of ME only having a gun in my posession that I haven't tested when the SHTF is pretty darn near zero.

But at the same time, I can see that happening with the ammo crunch in my area. I haven't been able to find any practice 9mm ammo for over a month. And I'm hard up for money so I'm VERY hesitant to buy a box of 20 defensive ammo for $25+ just to test a gun. That's the best price I've seen on defensive ammo lately. If I bought a new 9mm or a .380 for pocket carry, I don't know how long it will be until I can find any practice ammo. Defensive Ammo would be hard enough to find.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    If the choice is carry it or nothing at all, gimme the gun.
    + 1
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sure - I personally would. If the only given choice was have a loaded but, "untested" high quality firearm or no firearm at all.

The chances of a chambered first round malfunction in a semi-auto are pretty minute/remote.

I'll take an effective first shot and then an already "in hand" bludgeoning instrument.

Any high quality revolver...absolutely.

I'm not sure if a total newbie to firearms would be best served by having an untested firearm. An untested firearm in the hands of a totally untested shooter might not be such a great idea.
    Much depends on Lady Luck on how that might work out.

For the exact same reasons QKShooter mentions, I'm of the same opinion.

But I am not a novice or inexperienced and have unarmed combat skills as well.

As the OP mentioned with the number of newbies coming on board... I would caution a person who is new to guns not to use an untested gun.

It also goes without saying that of course, I would prefer to use a tried and tested weapon, but since that wasn't an option and I am not new to guns, I voted for the carrying the untested gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links