Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With?

This is a discussion on Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a semi-real scenario for the new gun owners that are joining our ranks. Many people are buying concealable handguns but cannot find ammo ...

View Poll Results: Would you rather carry a gun you have never shot or would you go without a firearm?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is irresponsible to carry a weapon you have not personally tested, I would go without the gun.

67 24.54%
  • It's better to be armed with an unfamiliar weapon than to be defenseless, give me the gun.

206 75.46%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Carry a Gun You Have Never Practiced With?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

This is a semi-real scenario for the new gun owners that are joining our ranks. Many people are buying concealable handguns but cannot find ammo to practice with. So let's have your opinion. Which would you do?

Which would you do?
    Which what would I do?
    Carry a gun I haven't practiced with? Short answer....nope.
    Is dry firing practice? Maybe, and it's good to do once in a while. If you can afford a gun, then you can find ammo, or a friend that reloads. I don't think there can be many excuses here. Not meaning to sound too harsh.

kpw
    If the choice is carry it or nothing at all, gimme the gun.

I agree with RamRod that you can find ammo if you really really need to...but, if for some reason there really is absolutely no way to get my hands on more than one mag of ammo, I'd have to carry and deal with it.

But I agree that there has got to be some options somehow...
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Hope I never have to decide for real.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

jfl
    If I carry it, I have time to check how it works; when you have studied many different guns, you know most of the systems.

Now, if in the middle of a bad situation, I am unarmed (unlikely) and I can put my hands on a gun, any gun, you bet I'll take it.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Carry something I haven't personally seen go "BANG"? I think not.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

not too much of a choice here.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I was visiting a vendor today and stopped in a gun shop for which I have not yet visited. They had a remarkable selection of pistols and a decent amount of ammo. Actually more ammo than I've seen at the other places I usually get it. I bought a 100 rounds of Federal JHPs.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Good responses. Around here, I honestly do not know a place where you can buy .40 S&W or 9mm ammo. Eventually it will come to be available but for now, it is totally scarce.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Carrying a gun that I have not personally verified will go bang without any malfunctions is not my first choice, but if stuck with no other options than yes I would.

That being said, I was fortunate to gain a more than average education on firearm function and techniques at a very early age. It is not something that I would neccessarily recommend for everyone. I just know that for myself personally, I can be comfortable with the pros and cons to making that decision.

However, if you are new to purchasing a firearm, make sure you can afford/find the ammo to go with your choice. Otherwise, you should look at a different firearm that you can meet the ammo needs.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I'm pretty confident in my ability to shoot. I'd familiarize myself with the pistol, take it to the range use a few shots to check the zero, then into the holster it goes.

I don't usually follow up one of my posts with another post, but I see now that you've posted a poll, and I voted. If you want to guess my vote, here's what I have to say and in my opinion about this choice:
    It's better to be armed with an unfamiliar weapon than to be defenseless, give me the gun.
    Don't kid yourself, and I think it's an unfair choice simply because it may be chosen in haste. Sounds good, but I'd say you would be more likely to be killed in a defensive scenario with that gun you're unfamiliar with and strapping it on right out of the box. I'd rather take my chances in CQB hand to hand as a newbie. I'm familiar with quite a few variations of pistols and may be able to operate most blind folded, and just by feel. Your basic novice would be better off assessing situations and getting used to having a sixth sense before going in with a pin in one hand and a grenade without in the other IMO.
    Besides...if you can't find practice ammo, where are you gonna find carry ammo?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't usually follow up one of my posts with another post, but I see now that you've posted a poll, and I voted. If you want to guess my vote, here;s what I have to say and in my opinion about this choice:
    Don't kid yourself, and I think it's an unfair choice simply because it may be chosen in haste. Sounds good, but I'd say you would be more likely to be killed in a defensive scenario with that gun you're unfamiliar with and strapping it on right out of the box. I'd rather take my chances in CQB hand to hand as a newbie. I'm familiar with quite a few variations of pistols and may be able to operate most blind folded, and just by feel. Your basic novice would be better off assessing situations and getting used to having a sixth sense before going in with a pin in one hand and a grenade without in the other IMO.
    Well put!!

I'd like to add, if it's a semi you have the feeding issue to deal with as well. If you don't know the gun, you probably don't know the ammo either.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Personally I have never carried a firearm that I have not fired around 500 rounds through. When you need it most is not the time to find out something is wrong!!!!

Several years ago I went to the range with a friend and his brand new Stag model 1 AR. When he attemped to fire, nothing happenend.
    When he went back to the gun shop, they found the firing pin under the rack where the rifle was displayed. They think some idiot either took the gun apart by mistake or possibly even deliberately. Don't trust your life to an unproven firearm.
    NRA life member.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links