Have you ever been "made"?

This is a discussion on Have you ever been "made"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a discussion earlier from a new member who was concerned about a "bulge" that he thought made his gun visible. The discussion was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been "made"?

Have you ever been "made"?

I saw a discussion earlier from a new member who was concerned about a "bulge" that he thought made his gun visible. The discussion was split between those who assured him that nobody really pays attention to funny bulges in clothing in our society (esp. with cell phones and PDAs), and those that thought this could be a serious issue. I am wondering how many of you have ever been "made" while carrying? Let's rule some things out:

-- Don't include being "made" by friends or family who already know you are active concealed carry
    -- Don't include being "made" while at a gun store or at the ammo counter or a gun show or entering or leaving a gun range
    -- Don't include being "made" if you mentioned it in conversation and someone overheard

If you have ever had a stranger detect that you were carrying in public I would love to hear about it. And to learn some things:

1) What kind of holster were you wearing? IWB, OWB, shoulder, smartcarry/thunderwear, appendix, pocket, etc.

2) What kind of gun, especially gun size (full/1911, compact, sub-compact, pocket)?

3) Was the person who detected you a LEO or security guard?

4) Was the person who detected you another CC?

5) Why do you think you were detected?

6) Did this cause you any problems and how did you handle the situation?

Thanks from a "newbie" who wants to know....
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

2. Remove Ads

Never been "made".
    -- Don't include being "made" by friends or family who already know you are active concealed carry
    I think my girlfriend touches it once in a while when we are out in public just to see my reaction. (my concealed pistol)

Never been "made". I open carry sometimes though.....
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Never been "made".

I think my girlfriend touches it once in a while when we are out in public just to see my reaction. (my concealed pistol)
    Glad you clarified what was being touched Ram Rod
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

VIP Member
    Never been "made".
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Never been made!! Never told either. My wife and my son (also CCW) are the only ones who know.
    Last edited by toaster; April 1st, 2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added line
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Do me one other favor on this discussion. If you have never been "made" and would like to mention that, please mention how long you have been carrying. I am especially interested in those who have been CCing for years rather than months, weeks, or days (like myself).

VIP Member
    In Arizona, practically every man, woman and child carries a gun; concealed or otherwise, so nobody really cares.
    Regards,

My license is for a concealed deadly weapon, not a secret deadly weapon so I carry in quality holsters and try my best to wear appropriate clothing and do not give it another thought.

What you are not aware of are the people who notice you are carrying but don't care or say anything.

Only time I've been made in almost 5 months of carrying (yeah, not long I know) was by a good friend (guy) who gave me a playful punch to my side while hanging out at his house. I totally didn't expect it and his knuckles cracked into the slide of my XD, since I don't work out enough to have 007 quality abs, I had a little explaining to do. He understood my CPL reasons and agreed completely! Other than that I've been good so far, fingers crossed.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

Yes, my son pulled up my shirt once at Sam's Club just as I was going in the door. The cart return dude saw it and didn't seem to think much of it. I had my Sig 239 in a IWB at the 4 oclock. What can you do? Stuff happens. Good luck.

P.S. Thats once "that I know of" in over ten years.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Never
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Well I've only been made once so far that I know of, although I haven't been carrying for to long. As for what i carry i was wearing my iwb holster with my Bersa Thunder 9 UC and the 3:00 position. What happend was that i was at my local dairy store it was my turn to checkout. The checker was pretty friendly and nice until I pulled out my wallet and gave her my card. Next thing I know she gives me a funny look and stops talking to me and proceeds to check me out as quickly has humanly possible. When I got my card back and put it in my wallet I realize im printing really bad. I just gave her a smile, fixed my shirt, grabbed my stuff and left.

Not that being made really bothers me, but i did decide that im going to keep my gun at the 4:00 position to avoid that from happening again. Also being so thin I believe i need to find a diffrent holster that will help me keep it concealed because seemingly no matter what i do "I" can always seem some printing, but then again who doesn't think that when they first start to carry .

Never been made that I know of, been carrying since 92. I've made plenty of people,never said a word to them. Most recently was at Kroger, the guy in the self checkout in front of me lifted his arm,and his OWB and pistol were out.
    I would imagine that someone sometime had to "make" me after all these years. I just don't think that it's something that anyone who doesn't know you will mention.Except for little kids, they'll say anything. Out of politeness and likely because unless you are committing a crime, people just assume that you are either LE or have a permit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links