Visiting Colorado, anything I need to know?

This is a discussion on Visiting Colorado, anything I need to know? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'll be visiting CO for about a week and am wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for. I'll be ...

Thread: Visiting Colorado, anything I need to know?

Visiting Colorado, anything I need to know?

Hey guys,
    I'll be visiting CO for about a week and am wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for. I'll be mainly south of Denver, but will most likely spend some time there too.
    I will be traveling from MI, and may travel through IL, IA, NE.
    These states do not recognize my MI permit, so it will be assembled and locked in the trunk. If I go south a bit, I can travel through MO, and KS that DO recognize my MI permit.
    Any advice?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

I'm headed there tomorrow as well, Near as i can tell the laws seem very similar to what we have in KS. With the exception of the assault weapons ban in denver proper, but that doesn't affect anything i'm doing.
    "That's just like your opinion, man." -the dude

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Keep it concealed, don't go out drinking with it on(you can carry in a bar here), and stay out of courthouses and federal building which I sure you don't plan on visiting anyway.

Don't open carry in Denver. Use common sense. Don't worry about printing. Bring long johns and shorts. The weather changes fast.

Semper Fi

+1 BkCo1. Be sure to bring appropriate attire. Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep some supplies in you're trunk in case you get stranded... not that it will snow that much... just sucks to be stuck in the cold with a car that won't run. Our laws here are pretty simple. You may want to read Colorado Statue 18-1-704 as it deals with the use of force including deadly force in defense of yourself or others.

Here is a link to it.
    18-1-704

And here is a link to all of the Colorado Revised Statutes... just for your benefit.
    Colorado Revised Statutes
    Just click on the big blue link in the yellow box.

Also if your interested in 18-1-704.5 which is use of deadly force against an intruder, which should apply to you even if you are staying in a hotel I think... but don't quote me on it. "any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling"
    18-4-705.5

I hope you find the information useful.

And enjoy your visit!!!
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Welcome to Colorful Colorado. I think you will find it much warmer here than in Michigan but the weather changes quickly.

Here, anyone, who can legally own a handgun, may have a loaded handgun in their vehicle while traveling on any public road.

You may not carry in buildings or real estate of public schools K-12, any state buildings where metal detectors are deployed at each entrance e.g. State Legislature & Court Houses, and of course, no Federal buildings.

You may carry anywhere else: banks, hospitals, stores, restaurants which serve alcohol (you may even have a drink while carrying but I don't recommend it). Places like Coors Field, Invesco @ Mile High, The Pepsi Center have manned metal detectors at the entrances so you might be denied entrance if you are carrying there.

Signs prohibiting carry in establishments open to the public mean virtually nothing. If you are discovered carrying, you may be asked to leave; if you don't, then you are guilty of trespass.

We also have the Castle Doctrine or the "Make My Day" law as it's referred to here. Basically, anywhere you are residing, your home, a friend's home, your hotel room, your area in a camp ground etc., is your Castle and you may defend it. You may also "Stand Your Ground" as long as you are in a place where you are legally allowed to be. Check the links the others have posted regarding these items

In all, Colo is very gun friendly. Enjoy your stay; leave your money!
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Thanks for the clarification on that Ken. I wish my state representative was gun friendly. District 7.

Hey Ken you seem to know more, are you allowed to carry in a bar if you're not drinking? I get mixed answers on this.

And one more thing.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    You may not carry in buildings or real estate of public schools K-12, any state buildings where metal detectors are deployed at each entrance e.g. State Legislature & Court Houses, and of course, no Federal buildings.
    If you are going to a school or any of the places listed. Just leave your gun hidden in your vehicle. A gun in a vehicle on the property is allowed as long as you don't take it out.
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on that Ken. I wish my state representative was gun friendly. District 7.

Hey Ken you seem to know more, are you allowed to carry in a bar if you're not drinking? I get mixed answers on this.

And one more thing.

If you are going to a school or any of the places listed. Just leave your gun hidden in your vehicle. A gun in a vehicle on the property is allowed as long as you don't take it out.
    Not only are you allowed to carry in a bar but you may also imbibe. The law says you may not carry while intoxicated (paraphrasing there) but it doesn't state a specific BAC level as does the Motor Vehicle Code for driving.

Yes, you may park & lock your vehicle w/your loaded hand gun in it on public school K-12 property. You just can't carry it there.

Thanks a ton Ken.

I heard this story about CCW in Colorado:

Before Colo became Shall Issue, it wasn't that difficult to get CHLs in most counties. They decided to go Shall Issue AND make all the carry laws uniform throughout the state.

Early in 1999, the then, mostly Republican Legislature & Governor, put together what amounted to the best CHL statutes in the country. It had no restrictions on places you could carry except of course those pesky Federal places where no one can carry.

Then Columbine happened. The whole package was quietly put away. No legislator had the huevos to touch it.

Finally, in 2003 some legislator got up the nerve to re-introduce it but Republican Governor Bill Owens, who was running for his 2nd term, caved in to the who wanted carry in schools prohibited. Owens went back to the Republican legislators and told them that school carry was a deal breaker and he wouldn't sign it unless it was changed.

The also wanted a state wide database* of all CHL holders implemented. This database was only supposed to last until 2007 but a funny thing happened; the Dems took control in 2007 and decided to keep the database, indefinitely. They [the Dems] also enacted the restriction whereby Colo would only honor CHLs for the state of the holder's residence. e.g. No longer could Calif. residents use their Utah non-resident CCWs in Colo.

Fortunately, the Democrats have payed attention to what their pollsters have been telling them: "Don't try to take away Shall Issue; don't try to put any restrictions on guns & ammo or you'll get un-elected very quickly."

*Not all counties provide the names of CHL holders to the database but most do. It's up to the sheriff if he/she wants to submit the names.
    Last edited by KenInColo; April 2nd, 2009 at 01:34 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Ken seems to have you covered on the laws so I will just say welcome to Colorado and enjoy your stay.

Semper Fi

Welcome to a great state.

Thanks for all the great info. I Actually DID pack long johns and shorts. Michigan weather can change pretty quickly too, so I am used to it somewhat.

I only wish that NE, IA, IL had similar laws.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Oh a GREAT website for Colorado gun law info is:

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Gun Law FAQ

Lots of great info, check em out~

Links