Defensive Carry banner

Dont' talk to cops - even if you are innocent - this is a must see...

8K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Anubis 
#1 ·
First and foremost, this is not cop bashing in any way. What it is, is some of the best advice you can get and why - presented by a defense attorney AND a police officer that has interveiwed (they don't use 'interrogation' any more.) over 1000 people.

You only need to watch part 1 and part 2. There are parts 3 and 4, but they appear to be exactly the same as part 1 and part 2.

part 1:
YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

part 2:
YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2

#4 ·
I have seen these before, but definitely worth repeating...good vid's...:hand10:

The importance of a 'refresher' viewing can't be underestimated.

#5 ·
Well, I have mixed views on that issue.

You only have one opportunity to make a good impression.

And the officer asking the questions is going to make up his/her mind quickly based on the information and facts presented.

Sure, if you have the “extra funds” it’s always wise to have an attorney present, but if it’s a no brainer simple issue, and you have a friend there that can witness as to what is said, I’d go ahead and answer the officers questions.

#9 ·
My concealed carry instructor who is both a lawyer and a cop told us all...

"When the police arrive tell them "I was in fear for my life", "I want to sign a complaint", and last, "I want to talk to a lawyer". That's it. Period.

Because, unless this is something that happens to you all the time, you are in no state of mind to know whatever you might say to the police will help or hurt you if at a later date this whole thing winds up in court.

At least this is what I'm going to do if "God forbid" I'm in that position.

#10 ·
talk

Besides being an instructor I am a licensed mental health professional and critical incident stress debriefer. When I teach about the aftermath of a shooting (or any crisis event for that matter) I talk heavily about psychological and physical reactions to a violent event. During that time your body and mind are not working as they should so anything you say or do is going to be muddled up. That is what a debriefing does - reorient to the real. I also tell them that this is a normal reaction to an abnormal event - heard on TV the other night (for what it's worth) that 97% of LE never fire their gun except on the range. Our percentage is probably much lower. If you talk during this time, your judgement is off, sense of time, sight, hearing, coordination etc. If LE hears you say someting, they won't take this into account, just what you said..... so be smart and (excuse the pun) "hold your fire." You'll be glad you did. I have a standing offer with those I teach, first the lawyer and then if need be call me. LE has a department shrink, but civilians have nothing. I hope to help in that manner - have not had to yet but the offer is still there.

#13 ·
In the practice of law, a statement to the police is called...

A CONFESSION.

I'd say more on this topic, but it's been discussed ad nauseaum, so I'll summarize and prevent everyone's time being wasted:

a) Don't talk to the police;
b) No, talk to the police, but give a brief statement;
c) You likely won't give a brief statement, but go off at the mouth;
d) Any lawyer worth his salt will be able to explain what you say as induced by stress;
e) Laywer says "You don't know what you are talking about, those statements are admissable as statements against interest and as excited utterances and they are given great weight by the prosecutor and judge.";
f) i. You just want people to hire lawyers, ii. Its different in Texas. iii. Joe Horn gave a statement and was fine;
g) Joe Horn got lucky;
h) Ayoob says to make a brief statement;
I) Invoking Ayoob's name is not a conversation ender, just engenders more debate;
j) Ayoob sucks;
k) Ayoob is G0D;
l) Keep the thread nice or it will be closed;
m) Have an attorney's number in your wallet and have an arangement with him to come out if TSHTF;
n) That costs money;
o) Lawyers suck, they should come out for free if it's needed because it's a second amendment matter;
p) It's not a second amendment matter, it's a criminal case;
q) It's not a criminal case, its a self defense case!!;
r) Self defense is a justification defense in a criminal case;
s) Lawyers still suck, and it's not a criminal case!!;
t) Whatever...;
u) My CCW instructor says to make a brief statement!!;
v) Your CCW instructor is probably not a lawyer, and if he is, he aught to know better.
w) What does a self defense case call out for a lawyer cost?
x) Too much, and lawyers suck for charging money for the callout...;
y) You will need a bondsman the next morning;
z) Bondsmen are ok because you pay them and they get you out of jail, but lawyers suck because they demand money to keep you out of jail.
aa) Hey, have you seen this video...

I think I covered everything...

#19 ·
I have watched this before, is all good info, there are a few bad apples out there amongst the LEO's and you never know who is just trying to get you in trouble.

#23 ·
I think that a lot of people giving advice on what to say in the aftermath of a shooting are ignorant of the realities of the situation and like to pretend that their ability to shoot a tight group, run a gun smoothly and generally raise hell on a range or a force on force class translate into knowing the in's and out's of the aftermath of the situation, the consequence of statements (oral or written) and the casual brush off of conserns with the phrase "Any lawyer worth his salt aught to be able to..." (If your case involves drawing that gun, salt costs about $5,000 to get me interested...otherwise, I hope you luck out with the public defender...) show those people do not have your best interest at heart.

I think people aught to take the $$ saved up for their next gun and get themselves to a class on self defense and the law.

Ayoob has had great success in his teaching, and although I disagree with him on the consept of saying anything, if you are going to talk, do what he says.

Otherwise, remove the opportunity to say something really, really, stupid and remain silent.

(This advice is not for people who know "Texas is different...", people who's CCW instructor told them what to say, people who have a pre-printed card which states "If I have given you this card I have had to defend innocent life..." or those of you who have studied law at the University of the Internet School of Law.)

Oh, yeah...one last thing...

If anyone is giving you advice on what to say in the aftermath of a use of force situation, ask them if they have every been in or handled the aftermath.

I'm sure you are going to find a lot of people talking about a situation which they have never experienced as a participant, or as someone paid to intervene.

#21 ·
Thanks to OP, the video was worth the watch.

My CCW instructor informed me to sing a little song when questioned by LEO after a SD shooting:

"WELLL! III! I SAID THAT III! SO MANY AMENDMENTS! IN THE CONSTITUTION! OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! I CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE...i can only choose ONE! I plead the fif. I plead the fif! FIVE! one, two, three, four, FIF! Anythang you say? FIF! Go ahead and ask me a question. FIF!"

(fyi, from Dave Chappelle's "Plead The Fif")

I just find it odd that a few on this forum who give praise to this defense attorney would turn around, and say one of the problems today is scumbag attorneys getting their clients off.

FYI...as to sighting who or when on this forum would so this...the 5th.

#24 ·
Mitchell:
I actually agree with both of your posts, I just thought your "list" was hilarious (mainly because it's true). I honestly don't know how I'd react or what, if anything, I'd say in the aftermath of a shooting because I've been fortunate enough to never find myself in that situation.

In an ideal situation, I'd be having dinner with Alan Dershowitz at the moment I had to use my weapon and he'd represent me pro bono, beginning with a statement to the responding officer(s). In reality, I'll have to do the best I can and scramble to find the best lawyer I can afford.
Jack

#25 ·
Y'all have convinced me.
"Officer, I mmph hmmhph hmmf ermmfph hmhph!"

#31 ·
I have two loaded magazines but only one mouth. Therefore, it may be wise to do twice as much shooting as talking...

But seriously, even in a traffic stop, don't talk to the police. All the information they need is on your DL, registration, and insurance card. I was a police officer in the Navy and have seen many people self-incriminate. Don't be one of them.

Mel

#33 ·
You know good and well that it doesn't matter if he lands inside the doorway, outside the doorway, or halfway in between.

Heck if he has stolen something from the house, I can chase him down and shoot him if he does it after dark. :comeandgetsome: Even in the back. I would have to look for it, but there was an incident pretty much like that last year or so in my county.

No charges, nothing, the authorities simply stated the homeowner was perfectly within his rights to keep them from taking his property.

God I love Texas. And folks with common sense. :image035:

#35 ·
It is not a matter of living in the "real" world or not. If you don't think Texas is the real world, you should come visit sometime, heck you might even like it here. It is a matter of knowing what the laws of your state are, and knowing what the attitudes are of the people in your community.

Fortunately there are some people who still have a belief that the police are not necessarily out to get you for doing something that is within the law, and their communities give them reason to hold to this. Unfortunately there are many who do not live in an area where this holds true. I hate it for ya'll but its your choice where to live and what button to push come election time.

It has been a while since I viewed the video that was posted earlier, but if I remember correctly the officer tried to make it clear there was no desire to incriminate an individual who had done nothing wrong. That if you were in the interogation room, he already had enough information on you before you got there.

#36 ·
It has been a while since I viewed the video that was posted earlier, but if I remember correctly the officer tried to make it clear there was no desire to incriminate an individual who had done nothing wrong. That if you were in the interogation room, he already had enough information on you before you got there.
That's my recollection. He said that, in 20+ years of interrogation, he had released suspects based on what they told him. So, like the law professor said, what you say can be used against you but it will virtually never be used "for" you.

The idea that talking can get you in trouble is an old one. Here's the short version of a Nigerian folk tale with this theme.

A hunter goes into the bush. He finds an old human skull. The hunter says: “What brought you here?” The skull answers: “Talking brought me here.” The hunter runs off. He runs to the king. He tells the king: “I found a dry human skull in the bush. It asks you how its father and mother are.”

The king says: “Never since my mother bore me have I heard that a dead skull can speak.” The king summons the Alkali, the Saba, and the Degi and asks them if they have ever heard the like. None of the wise men has heard the like, and they decide to send guards out with the hunter into the bush to find out if his story is true and, if so, to learn the reason for it. The guards accompany the hunter into the bush with the order to kill him on the spot should he have lied.

The guards and the hunter come to the skull. The hunter addresses the skull: “Skull, speak.” The skull is silent. The hunter asks as before: “What brought you here?” The skull does not answer. The whole day long the hunter begs the skull to speak, but it does not answer. In the evening the guards tell the hunter to make the skull speak, and when he cannot, the guards kill the hunter in accordance with the king’s command.

When the guards are gone, the skull opens its jaws and asks the dead hunter’s head: “What brought you here?” The dead hunter’s head replies: “Talking brought me here!”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.