Carrying in Georgia..

This is a discussion on Carrying in Georgia.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my CCL from Florida and know it reciprocates to Georgia. Is there, in English, a web page I can read knowing what/where I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in Georgia..

Carrying in Georgia..

I have my CCL from Florida and know it reciprocates to Georgia. Is there, in English, a web page I can read knowing what/where I can and cannot do in Georgia? I plan on taking my 12g to an open firing range also while I am up there.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor

just be careful of public gatherings, even the parking lots are public gatherings :(
    you can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, but unlike fl you cant drink at all.

you are welcome to CC or OC here :)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA

+1! Any other questions, ask away.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I am headed to Waycross and Atlanta so wish me luck. I am not a drinker so that will not be an issue.

What about places like the Coke factory/Braves Stadium, Georgia Aquarium?

This code section does not forbid the carrying of a loaded handgun in any private motor vehicle by a person who is not licensed, but also who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, in an open manner and totally exposed to view. For those who are not listed as ineligible for a license (found below in the "Firearm License Carrying" section) may also place the gun anywhere inside the vehicle.
    If I understood the law correctly I can carry a loaded gun anywhere in my vehicle open or concealed(also does that mean concealed in the vehicle such as glove compartment or center console or concealed anywhere such as a bag or on my person) without a license even though I am from out of state as long as I am not ineligible to get a license.
    Please correct me if I am wrong

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    I am headed to Waycross and Atlanta so wish me luck. I am not a drinker so that will not be an issue.

What about places like the Coke factory/Braves Stadium, Georgia Aquarium?
    The stadium is off limits due to the Public Gatherings law.

Georgia Aquarium prohibits firearms (and knives and lighters, matches, straws, gum, fishing poles and manners, IMO) and they have security who wand you and check any bags.
    Some people have reportedly carried without being discovered. If they find it you will have to take it back to car.

One thing I would carry is a flashlight. I carried that and a small folding knife that was in the camera bag. In Atlanta when the lights go out you want a light. Trust me.

And try to go when they open, on a weekday if possible. When it gets crowded, which it does quickly, it sucks there.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    If I understood the law correctly I can carry a loaded gun anywhere in my vehicle open or concealed(also does that mean concealed in the vehicle such as glove compartment or center console or concealed anywhere such as a bag or on my person) without a license even though I am from out of state as long as I am not ineligible to get a license.
    Please correct me if I am wrong

Thats a good question I've never seen asked before. It is true that a Georgia resident can carry anywhere in the car without a GFL as long as they are not ineligible for the GFL. However, being from out of state you would not be eligible for a GFL (Ga does not issue nonresident Licenses). Even if you have a SC License, Ga and SC do not have reciprocity so that wouldn't help.

My best advice would be to log in over on Firearm Discussion • Index page and ask your question.

Or maybe someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to answer. I'm eager to see other's thoughts on this.

you must be a GA resident to carry anywhere in the vehicle or have a license with reciprocity like NH(its cheap to get and will give you GA carry)

also something to note GA license is NOT a CCW, you cant carry anything but a Gun on a license here. knives are not preempted and people have been arrested for carrying a knife while they are legally carrying a gun :(

if you do carry a knife never say its for offense or defense
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

Sponsor
    FL and GA have reciprocity also

Yeah I plan to get a NH permit but right now it is questionable if I will get my SC approved and back before my trip at the end of may so getting the NH before then is probably out of the question.
    So as an out of state traveler where in my car would I be legal to carry in Georgia.

What's considered a PUBLIC gathering?

If you have to pay to enter, isn't that considered private, simply because not everyone in the general public may attend?

Truly curious, thanks.

Edit: NVM, Public gathering is defined in the law.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post

If you have to pay to enter, isn't that considered private, simply because not everyone in the general public may attend?

Truly curious, thanks.

The Public Gathering law is the biggest, by far, problem with Ga carry laws. There are some places that are mentioned specifically, but there are plenty of places that are not and it is left up to the LEOs, the prosecutor and the judge to determine what is a PG and what is not.

Whether you have to pay or not doesn't matter.
    Offlimits:
    -Sporting events, to include kid's t-ball games, races, possibly practices.
    -Parades, festivals, fairs, community activities
    -concerts, including spur of the moment ones that pop up in places like Savannah.
    -It has been said that if there are more than two people standing around talking then that in itself can be considered a PG.

State Parks are legal, as are city and county parks. However, should there be a chili cookoff or car show in that same park it is then a PG and you can't carry.

For those unfamiliar with the history of Ga's carry laws, the PG law was passed to prevent blacks from carrying in town or pretty much anywhere that the locals did not want them to carry. That is why it is so subjective. Originally LEO could arrest blacks for carrying in the same place that whites could get away with it. As the anti-carry movement has grown the law now is used to arrest and harass anyone who chooses to carry a weapon, depending on the officer who responds.

More than one Ga Sheriff testified in front of lawmakers this year that they would like to see the PG law go away because their officers have no idea where people can legally carry in Georgia.

HKR
    From the back of my Georgia Firearms License:

For the purpose of this code section, public gatherings shall include, but shall not be limited to...........

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post

Truly curious, thanks.

McDonalds is the only place ever to be held on appeal to not be a public gathering

theres n0othing in the law that says if you pay then it isnt public, if i was a juror i would see it that way. heck if i was a juror i would use jury nullification and find them innocent the GA state constitution says they can regulate the manner in which they are borne not the places.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links