My first "carry" out in the "World. . . "

This is a discussion on My first "carry" out in the "World. . . " within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually, it was pretty much a "non-event." Thought I'd make a run down to "Wally World," but decide that would be just toooooo cliche'! Didn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Actually, it was pretty much a "non-event."

Thought I'd make a run down to "Wally World," but decide that would be just toooooo cliche'! Didn't really need anything from there, anyway. But there was a few things I wanted to get from the local gun shop!

Already had on my jeans and a dark T shirt, so I put on my "cover" shirt after donning my Blackhawk cf SERPA paddle @ 3:30 and Fobus paddle mag carrier @ 8:30, with my Glock 23 (.40 S&W, 13+1) in place.

About that cover garment, it's a Wally World special, $9.95. A kind of full-cut, square tailed, almost Hawaiian shirt. Fits kind of loose and doesn't stand out in my area. This one isn't one of the bright, loud patterns, it's actually black with a tan print that is some sort of bamboo pattern.

I have 3 of them, that dark one, and two brighter colors. What I've found out is, the all cotton version is probably the better choice than the synthetic ones. Only have the one cotton shirt and it doesn't billow in the breeze as easily as the synthetics do, and the cotton seems to "print" less, as the synthetics tend to want to drape over the form of the gun. (I'll be buying more of the cotton shirts.)

What I learned from reading on this Forum and from "carrying" at home and in the yard, the wind problem can be dealt with by hooking my thumb in the top of the jeans' pocket, with my little finger securing the cover shirt. It doesn't look as "obvious" as it sounds. I do have to make sure when the pinkie finger grabs the edge of the shirt, that it isn't pulling it tight, making a "print" where there wasn't one. That "trained finger" grasp the front edge of the shirt without pulling down on it.

So, the synthetic shirt wasn't my best choice, but the cotton one had some blood on it (mine,) and needed washing. (Nothing terrible, just a minor disagreement with one of my cats, we're friends again.)

Off I went to the gun store!

This gun shop has a sign on the door, "No loaded weapons allowed inside, CCW permit holders exempt." It's the one I bought my G23 from, and my wife got her G26 here as well.

As I entered, one customer was leaving, so only the owner and one guy behind the counter was there. Both have seen me in there more than once, but neither knew I'd gotten my permit.

I saw NO indication that either of them suspected I was carrying!

OK, it is possible that they did, but didn't feel the need to ask, or they were just assumed I was legal. But I've spent enough time in there to have seen how they react to people who come in, they do a "quick-scan" every time. I'm convinced that my concealment was good.

"Can I help you with anything today?"

"Yes, I was thinking I might want a double mag carrier, or maybe another single. . . I'm not sure."

"OK, what's it for?"

"This," I said, as I reached back with my weak hand and pulled my one spare mag from the carrier and placed it on the counter.

"Oh!" The counter man stiffened just a bit, then seemed to relax. "Uh. . . OK, uh, that's a 40 cal, isn't it?"

No, I didn't scare him with that move, it was slow and deliberate, with my right hand resting on the counter top. He just didn't expect a loaded magazine to be pulled out and placed on the counter, I guess.

It was at this time that I told him I'd gotten my CCW and would have my wife get with them to see about taking the required course they offer so she can get her permit. Now both the counter man and the owner were smiling again. I think they have us on their list of "good customers." When I come in, I may or may not buy something. If she comes in with me, its a sure thing money will be spent.

He did have the spare mag, but didn't have a double carrier in stock. I decided to come back next week and get that double carrier.

While there, I bought another box of carry ammo, this time it was Winchester Ranger, 155 gr. JHP. I'd been using Federal 180 gr. HST JHP's, but noticed that I shot better with the bulk 155 gr. (I think) from Wally World, in the white box, than with the heavier Federal stuff. I'll try the Winchester ammo at the range and see how it does.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with my "first carry" experience. I was able to walk without hearing the theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" playing in my head. I didn't have an embarrassing "I got made" story to tell. And I did do it in a gun shop, not at Wal-Mart!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Welcome to the world of CC. It becomes a very relaxed part of your life as time goes by. One thing I would have done is simply told the counter man what kind of gun I needed the mag carrier for, not pulled one out. I don't touch the gun or mag unless I absolutely need to. Why make anyone nervous if you don't have to?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Glad to hear you had a good experience mike, I usually use a flannell shirt for cover in cooler weather, somtimes I use a hooded sweatshirt a couple sizes too large for a cover garment. The cotton prints I use in warm weather usually don't garner me a second look either .

havegunjoe,

I do understand and appreciate what you are saying. Nicely put, too.

What happened probably wasn't quite as dramatic as I made it sound, but your caution is quite correct. Thanks.

He did take a double carrier off the wall and I tried my mag in it. The carrier was NOT the right size. I'm sure I could have gotten the new magazine first, then asked about the carrier.

I almost bought a second single carrier, rather than wait for the double to come in. It would be nice to be able to "spread the load," and I wasn't sure about how easy it might be to draw from a double. After talking to the people at the store, I decided that the double should be just as easy to draw from, compared to two single's, after all, should I ever have to draw that 3rd magazine, the
    2nd would already be out of the way, in the gun.

Does that sound right?

mm

paknheat,

Some suitably-sized flannel shirts will be on my "to buy" list, next winter. I know some think that the untucked Hawaiian shirt "screams GUN!"

I guess in some areas, that would be true. But where I live and in the circles I tend to move in, it would easily be regarded as "Urban Camo."

mm

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Welcome to the CCW world, around here no one seems to notice or pay attention to someone carrying...
    I carry a full size pistol most of the year, exceptions being summer carry of G32 IWB with shorts/tanktop combo....
    I'm sure it would be safe to guess that in a high speed mag swap your #2 mag would be on it's way to the ground as you are bringing #3 to the magwell...
    Practice, practice, practice...
    It makes all the difference.....
    God Bless...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Congrats on starting to carry. It'll get more natural feeling after a while, just don't let it become complacent-see "Where's My Gun" thread.
    Enjoy carrying.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Only thing i wouldnt have done as said above was the mag thing..

Administrator

Thumbs up Great madmike !

So glad that your "packing in public" was a NON event.
    That's just exactly the way it should go.
    Non events are GOOD.

Congrats on how you handled yourself.
    Good show!
    Try to carry as often as possible.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I agree with havegunjoe...I wouldnt show that i was carrying unless i had to. Some people are nervous about it, including people who are around guns. you'll get more and more comfortable with it as you carry more

Thanks, guys.

Having talked to both the people who were working in the gun shop, I had a pretty good feeling for how they would react to my being armed. Like I said, I've seen them deal with customers in the past, some unarmed, some armed, and some that I could not tell.

That said, the lesson being pointed out is NOT lost on me. I have the "concealed" thing worked out fairly well. I'll definately work on the descretion thing.

I will be in and out of that shop on a semi-regular basis. Today, the boss told me that they will have an indoor range in the near future. We talked about the two other indoor ranges in the area and we share the same views of them. I'm thinking his will be the one my wife and I will use as our "home range."

Tomorrow is another "work day" for me. The next three days, actually. So I won't be posting much, but I'll certainly take the time to read.

mm

Ahh Work is now fun But a indoor range is good

I have to agree with the previous posters that I would not have pulled my spare mag out in response to the shop employee's question. Here's why:

1. It could be cause for alarm on their part. If the person didn't know whether you were right or left handed, the motion of retrieving the mag could just as easily have been drawing a gun. People familiar with guns tend to recognize that motion.

2. It would be simpler just to give the make/model rather than make him read it off the mag. If you want to check the fit, bring along a spare mag that you can retrieve from a pocket in a non-threatening manner.

For what it's worth, maybe check and see if you like two single pouches vs. a double pouch. They usually take up less room on your belt, and give a little more flexibility in working around belt loops, etc. YMMV, of course. Plus, this gives you an excuse to go back to the gun shop.

Sounds like your first excursion went well. Congrats! Remember, the folks at TheForumNamedAfterYourPistolTalk won't consider you official until you make that trip to Wal Mart. While you're there, you can pick up a 100 round value pack of WWB for your 23.

I hadn't heard of your windy day technique. I'll have to try that - thanks.

SSKC

Assistant Administrator
    Great Mike - glad you too found the windy day ''thumb trick'' worked well - also sometimes even elbow tucked against gun is discrete.

I think re that mag - not a biggie but - possibly ideal (so you could check fit properly) would have been to have had an empty mag in a WalMart bag and plonked it on counter - ''anything to fit this"?

Coupla weeks ago I went in to a semi local trading post and half read a door notice on way in - it was new. It read something to effect of ''please unload firearms before coming in''. It only really sank in as I got fully inside so - just carried on! They never had this before.

It was much more a ''request'' notice than a mandate so I didn't concern myself unduly. No one was any the wiser while I was there anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OK, as long as we are telling “first” public carry stories; my first carry was actually at church. Yah, well I attend a Baptist church (for now) and ya know, Baptist love their guns almost as much as Lutherans love their beer. (I grew up in a Lutheran church up in Michigan, so I speak from experience on this one.) Our (Baptist) Pastor speaks fondly of how safe he feels while preaching knowing that at least half of the men in the congregation are carrying and willing to rise to the occasion if congregational protection is needed. (They all, except me, are LEO’s.)
    But today, I went to the bank to do a little financial business, (1911 on the hip, under my red plaid cotton flannel shirt. Fits in here in Colorado this time of year.) Business completed, I exit and on the way out the door, as I pass through the left of two doors my gun (under my shirt) hits the right door frame with a loud BANG! (Not a discharge.) I instinctively put my hand on my gun (over my shirt,) and look back to check if all parts are still with me. Realizing I am still on camera somewhere, I just keep moving out to the Jeep and figure I’m going on to my next errand unless one of our town’s finest arrive to ask questions.
    I gotta remember that with that little 1911 on my hip, I’m just a little wider than I used to be.
    The fact is, as I have gotten used to carrying, no one really knows I’m carrying. My wife knows I carry, and even she asks, “Honey, are you carrying your gun right now?” And my answer: “Yes dear.”
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links