What!? No reciprocity?!

This is a discussion on What!? No reciprocity?! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If New York were part of the United States it might recognize licenses/permits issued by other states....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What!? No reciprocity?!

If New York were part of the United States it might recognize licenses/permits issued by other states.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    If New York were part of the United States it might recognize licenses/permits issued by other states.
    New York is the sole reason for the Federal Transportion Act beause they cut New England from the rest of this country so like or not they must accept car carry under the guideliness of the Federal Transportion Act. When I have to visit New England I drive right on through NY with my guns and I don't even stop to take a piss or buy a can of soda. Tough **** if NY doesn't like it and I heard they're nasty about it.

When I started the thread I had been perusing handgunlaw.us and had noticed many states that were recognized by several states, but there is a statement that they do not recognize any states permits. To me this is a slap in the face and shows an arrogance and "audasity" that is un-acceptable.

I know thet there are states that are conciously trying to establish reciprocity with as many states as they can. However, I feel that those who do not recognize other states and at the same time enjoy the others reciprocity shows a sad state of affairs and attention should be brought to the subject.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Kentucky recognizes any valid state permit whether they recognize our's or not. You're welcome California.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    <snip>
    Having my CCW permit in North Carolina I enjoy reciprocity in 30+ states.

I have perusing handgunlaw.us and see many states that do not honor any other states permits/licenses, while at the same time many of the other states honer theirs.
    Use caution when reading that site, the info is not all that accurate. It says my state has reciprocity with Wyoming, but that stopped as of March 1 as I understand it. It is now April and if I based my travels using that site I could be in a world of trouble.

Like they say, where the government is involved things get screwed up. We need to get a permit that works in all states like a drivers license. I can't believe that this can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by community View Post
    politicians are crooks, liars, and cheaters.

Please. It's grossly unfair to those groups to compare them with politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    "If a person is covered by the LEOSA, then "notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof," he or she may carry a concealed firearm in any state or political subdivision thereof. See Title 18, USC, Section 921, which defines "state" to also include the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and U.S. Possessions. Thus, the LEOSA-qualified person does not generally require a state-issued permit for carrying concealed firearms.

However, there are two types of state laws that are not overridden by the federal law, these being "the laws of any State that (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park." This does not mean that LEOSA-qualified persons are prohibited from carrying concealed firearms in such areas, but only that they must obey whatever state laws apply on those two points. They are free to disregard all other state and local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms.

The LEOSA overrides state and local laws, but not other federal laws. Thus, LEOSA-qualified individuals must continue to obey federal laws and agency policies that restrict the carrying of concealed firearms in certain federal buildings and lands.

Whether or not a person is covered by the LEOSA depends entirely on whether or not he or she meets the definitions in the federal law for either "qualified law enforcement officer" or "qualified retired law enforcement officer." It does not matter whether or not a given individual is defined as a "law enforcement officer" under the law of his state; only the definition in the federal law applies."
    The problem with LEOSA is that the law was very poorly written, and requires the cooperation of various departments and states, and there is no agency to enforce it. I was told that the local authorities at the NY and NJ airports contiguous with NYC that they would probably arrest me if I entered their states with a firearm (conforming with all the airline firearm transportation regulations, of course), LEOSA or no LEOSA, law or no law. I don't know what the actual on the ground experiences are there but I don't really want to be a test case proclaiming my innocence from Rikers Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Use caution when reading that site, the info is not all that accurate. It says my state has reciprocity with Wyoming, but that stopped as of March 1 as I understand it. It is now April and if I based my travels using that site I could be in a world of trouble.
    For the most part, Handgunlaw.us links directly to the source, i.e. to the applicable state website. In the case of Michigan, it links to the Michigan Attorney General website, which lists Wyoming as one of the states recognizing the Michigan permit. When you click on Wyoming, it links you directly to the Wyoming AG's site which lists Michigan as one of the states it recognizes.

If that's not accurate, the issue is with Wyoming's AG, not handgunlaw.us.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member
    Think that's bad? Take a look at California.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Don't honor my permit? Don't get my $$. Whether a business that posts a no guns sign or a state...

HKR
    Wasn't there a fairly recent ruling on LEO's right to carry in all states?

If my memory serves it came about because some off duty LEOs got in a fight with some bikers in Sturgis.

Stay home,guard your stuff!
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I live in Nebraska (one of those non-reciprocal states) and I just emailed my state senator to see if the topic of reciprocity has been raised, and if not, would she be willing to do so (she's a retired LEO, so I hope she would). Like just about everyone else on the forum, I see no harm whatsoever in states granting reciprocity to CHP holders from states with training standards that meet or exceed those of the home state. That said, I don't think that states should jack their training standards unrealistically high to "excuse" them from having to grant reciprocity, either. I haven't done much research on the subject, but I would imagine that there is some sort of federal legislation or guidance on the minimum training requirements for a CHP.
    If I'm off-base on that last part, please feel free to straighten me out. Thanks, and I appreciate all the "pearls of wisdom" that are out there. I've picked up a few already, so hopefully there are plenty more where those came from.
    / / / / pkv / / / /
    "There are three kinds of people in the world: those who learn from the mistakes of others, those who learn from their own mistakes, and those who feel compelled to urinate on the electric fence." -- Unknown

[QUOTE=dlclarkii;1095849]It's called state rights and it's why we had a war in 1863. But I wish CCW was recongized by interstate commerce.

If it was regulated by interstate commerce, there would be no carry! Check out all of the other interstate commerce laws regarding firearms, ICC is one of the major ways of Gun Control!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links