Defensive Carry banner

OK, heres a curveball...

4K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  miklcolt45 
#1 ·
Today i went into a convenience store in North Andover, Ma. They had a Postal contact center put in since the last time I went in there. It is a USPS office inside a convenience store. My question is, can i legally carry into that store to get a Coke or something? I was very confused about the legality of it all. The worst part is that there is a Dunkin Donuts in there and it the only one in the area with a parking lot big enough for my truck. I soooo need coffee to get through the afternoon.

#6 ·
Absolutely legal. Saying it's a federal building would be like saying the front of Wal-Mart is federal property because it has a USPS mailbox installed. The Feds don't own the building or provide the workers, they just take a commission of the sales.

If I had one nearby, I'd do all my USPS business there....but i don't.

D

#8 ·
I'm not saying break the law, but when running in for a Coke, concealed is concealed...:yup:
I doubt the the 'postal police' are wondering about your CCW in the middle of a hardware or drugstore...OMO

Stay armed...get on with life...stay safe!

#9 ·
I would call the local police or the state police barracks in that area and ask them. IMO

#13 ·
I don't think it's any more of a post office than dunkin' donuts is a police station.

You can look up the law as plain as they can. Unfortunately, you know the answer you're going to get---and it's been proven time and time again, if you call the LEO's you'll get an opinion. If you really want a better answer, consult an attorney.

#10 ·
I sometimes wonder about walking past the bank branch in front of the Walmarts. The rules can get convoluted and down right silly, now, can't they.
oldogy

#12 ·
I never thought about that till now, I frequently use a bank that is inside of a Safeway that I also shop at frequently. I guess I'm fine as long as i dont cross the invisible line on the floor that separate the two. :blink:

As for running in for a coke, I dont think there would be any problems with that but I'm no lawyer so.... hold me to that :icon_neutral:

#11 ·
[re USPS office] My question is, can i legally carry into that store to get a Coke or something? I was very confused about the legality of it all.
Nobody in authority has ever, once and for all, come down on the side of right, on this question. And, the confusion ceases the moment a USPS official turns the police loose on you. For those reasons, I do business elsewhere.

#14 ·
My Little Experiment With PO Carry

I Live in a small town (pop 10,000) and there are NO signs at the PO.

I carry my driver's license & my CC permit in a small folder in back pocket.

A few months ago I walked into the PO (unarmed) to get stamps and I swear that the devil made me do it!

When the clerk asked me for ID to validate my check, I reached in my back pocket and "accidentely" handed her the CC permit instead of the driver's license.

She didn't blink an eye.

Upon handing it back to me, she said, "This has a lot more information than a driver's license. Even your SS number. Be sure you don't lose it."

I like to call that, "Tickling the tail of the dragon."

...Skye...

#15 ·
In the town that I work in, we have a pawn shop that sells guns, guess what it also has? A mini Post Office inside!

If they can sell firearms in the same area, how is it breaking the law carrying into the pawn shop?

#21 ·
It's a bad time to find out if it's alright to carry there after you're dead. Nobody knows I have a firearm but me. I tell nobody. If you broadcast it, they will lay a trap for you. My inclination on carrying somewhere like this is my well being is my business and protecting it is foremost. I just quietly carry and done it for over 5 years, never had a problem.

These stop and go stores are too dangerous regardless of who's in there to take chances. :danceban:

#23 ·
The answer to this is simple. Example:

Airports have gov't employees (TSA). TSA offices and TSA rented space are considered their property, thus Federal Property. The whole airport is either public (local gov't) or private property.

The airport is not a federal building, and according to Federal law, you may carry there. (with the obvious exception: sterile zones).

#26 ·
IANAL, but I would think your good to go. As others have said, the building is not owned or leased by the USPS, and the employees are not considered USPS employees.

Just to throw something out that goes with this question. If someone comes in and robs the store, are they going to be charged and tried in federal court?

#30 ·
We have a USPS Contract office in Parker. It is not an official Gobm't building, not UPSP employees either. They are CONTRACTORS.
I drive 5 miles further past the actual post office to do any business with the contractors so that I do not have to disarm before going in.

If your contract office in the convenience store is the same kind of arrangement, I'd say carry on! Get your Coke, & stamps, and be safe.

#32 ·
There's a flower shop nearby like that, I went in a few days ago and got my wife a 2 dozen carnations and 2 books of stamps...all with my Kimber on my hip and didn't even think twice about it. The same lady helped me with the flowers and them went over to the USPS counter and got the stamps so.

#34 ·
Here is what the law says in Idaho (straight from the AG's site)...

"You may not carry a concealed weapon in a courthouse, juvenile detention facility, adult correctional facility, prison, jail, public school or private school."

It says nothing about banks, post offices, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.