Florida handgun law for vehicle

This is a discussion on Florida handgun law for vehicle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what is the law for carrying a handgun in the state of Florida. I am 18 years old and own a handgun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Florida handgun law for vehicle

Florida handgun law for vehicle

I was wondering what is the law for carrying a handgun in the state of Florida. I am 18 years old and own a handgun can i legally carry it with me in my vehicle i read the info below i found and will post but it says something bout-(Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private
    conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.)

Does that mean I can only carry rifles and shotguns and no handgun or what that kinda confused me. Does that mean a shotgun or rifle can be anywhere in the vehicle and the handgun must be securley encased.

What does encased mean and can it be loaded or unloaded one in the chamber how does this work.

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not
    a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon
    for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the
    firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
    Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private
    conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed
    to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be
    liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons,
    including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

anyone

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    No, you can carry your handgun...

It has to be in a console, a glovebox, or other case, I believe...

I'm sure someone smarter than me will pop up any time now...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Ok thank you very much basically that line says a handgun must be not visible and securley encased a rifle or shotgun can be viewable and be able to seen by someone and its not against the law for shotguns and rifles but it is for handguns they cant be visible right?

A handgun must be securely encased. e.g. Loaded, one in the pipe, in a holster is OK. I would not leave it on the front seat, momentum makes it fly when you least expect it. A door pocket is fine but that alone is not securely encased.

IANAL
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

are you allowed to posses a hangun @ 18 in florida? i thought it was 21 unless otherwise supervised by someone over 21? not sure but doesn't hurt to ask

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    are you allowed to posses a hangun @ 18 in florida? i thought it was 21 unless otherwise supervised by someone over 21? not sure but doesn't hurt to ask
    You can lawfully own a handgun at 18 in Florida.

You cannot buy one from an FFL until you are 21.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    I was wondering what is the law for carrying a handgun in the state of Florida. I am 18 years old and own a handgun can i legally carry it with me in my vehicle i read the info below i found and will post but it says something bout-(Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private
    conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.)

Does that mean I can only carry rifles and shotguns and no handgun or what that kinda confused me. Does that mean a shotgun or rifle can be anywhere in the vehicle and the handgun must be securley encased.

What does encased mean and can it be loaded or unloaded one in the chamber how does this work.

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not
    a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon
    for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the
    firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
    Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private
    conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed
    to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be
    liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons,
    including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Thanks
    Hi.

Since you're looking at Florida laws, let me suggest that you buy a copy of Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms. You can get the book from his website: Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

Mr. Gutmacher is an attorney and avid shooter who really understands this stuff and breaks it down into easily understood language.

If you own a gun in Florida, you should have this book, IMHO.

Matt
    Yetiman likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    No, you can carry your handgun...

It has to be in a console, a glovebox, or other case, I believe...

I'm sure someone smarter than me will pop up any time now...
    Nope, Im sure thats correct. It must be in a glovebox or console. There is no 3 step law or any such nonsense.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Anyone have the under 21 law, regarding handguns in Florida...

mkh
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...n%2025#0790.25
    Ch 790.25 (3) (l)
    A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person's manual possession;

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...20001#0790.001
    Ch 790.001 (17)

"Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

See Gutmachers take on this here - The Orlando Gun Lawyer: Search results for vehicle
    rolyat63 likes this.

mkh
    I should explain that even in a snapped holster you can't have the weapon on your person.

For more info check out the guys over at Florida Concealed Carry Forum

You may own a handgun in FL at 18. (Just got my daughter one for her birthday.) You cannot carry it, since you cannot receive your CWFL until you are 21. You can have it in your car, securely encased. As has been noted, that means in closed glovebox or console, or in a snapped holster.

Now, make sure you keep your insurance and registration someplace OTHER THAN where you keep your firearm. Although we would love to hear about your encounter with SO, FHP, or some other LEO when you reach for your papers and they see your gun, for YOUR sake, I would avoid such an event.

+2 to buying, reading, re-reading, memorizing parts of Gutmacher's book. It could save your butt!

Edited to add: You can carry it open while hunting, fishing, etc.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; April 3rd, 2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Add clarification
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    You may own a handgun in FL at 18. (Just got my daughter one for her birthday.) You cannot carry it, since you cannot receive your CWFL until you are 21. You can have it in your car, securely encased. As has been noted, that means in closed glovebox or console, or in a snapped holster.

Now, make sure you keep your insurance and registration someplace OTHER THAN where you keep your firearm. Although we would love to hear about your encounter with SO, FHP, or some other LEO when you reach for your papers and they see your gun, for YOUR sake, I would avoid such an event.

+2 to buying, reading, re-reading, memorizing parts of Gutmacher's book. It could save your butt!

Edited to add: You can carry it open while hunting, fishing, etc.
    Both excellent and correct advice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you have your CWP in Florida, you can carry concealed while driving correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links