Moved

This is a discussion on Moved within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Moved from Florida to Georgia got my Georgia drivers licence as required within 30 day's. Then found out my Florida CCW is invalid here now ...

Thread: Moved

Moved

Moved from Florida to Georgia got my Georgia drivers licence as required within 30 day's. Then found out my Florida CCW is invalid here now that I'm concidered as a resident. Applied for my Georgia CCW told it would be 3 to4 week's wait if the probate judge decide's that I can have it not happy abit on having that be a decision soly on his own. Anyone here ever have a problem getting CCW in Geogia. Thanks for any input

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not from GA, but it shouldn't be a problem. GA like FL is a "shall issue" state. To deny you a license they must show cause for the denial. Unless you have something in your record that is a denial factor in GA you should receive your permit without any problems.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

are you 100% sure?

Quote Originally Posted by flor1 View Post
    found out my Florida CCW is invalid here now that I'm concidered as a resident.
    Georgia is not one of the states which recognizes only FL permits of FL residents.

If I am not mistaken you can OC in Ga, so why not do that in the interim

Quote Originally Posted by Bprepared View Post
    If I am not mistaken you can OC in Ga, so why not do that in the interim

Georgia requires a valid permit to carry, regardless of mode (So you need a permit to carry open or concealed). Once you have a permit, they don't care how you carry.

Just to add a bit more light to what Zigziggityzo had to say.

"Carrying a pistol without a license: You must have a license to carry a handgun, openly or concealed, outside of your own home, place of business, and motor vehicle. If you are carrying a handgun to or from your home or place of business and cross over any property not owned by you, then you would be in violation of carry a pistol without a license if you did not have a license. This law only applies to carrying handguns and does NOT apply to rifles or shotguns, so a person could carry a rifle or shotgun openly, not concealed, in public and not be in violation of the law. The only exception to this law is no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner. Violation of this code section is a misdemeanor for a first offense and a felony for a 2nd or subsequent offense.(16-11-128)"
    EDC: Glock 30 IWB Tucker Gunleather - Silent Thunder
    Ruger LCP - BUG in front or back pocket

"In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!"

Quote Originally Posted by PackinTiger View Post
    Just to add a bit more light to what Zigziggityzo had to say.

"Carrying a pistol without a license: You must have a license to carry a handgun, openly or concealed, outside of your own home, place of business, and motor vehicle. If you are carrying a handgun to or from your home or place of business and cross over any property not owned by you, then you would be in violation of carry a pistol without a license if you did not have a license. This law only applies to carrying handguns and does NOT apply to rifles or shotguns, so a person could carry a rifle or shotgun openly, not concealed, in public and not be in violation of the law. The only exception to this law is no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner. Violation of this code section is a misdemeanor for a first offense and a felony for a 2nd or subsequent offense.(16-11-128)"

Thanks, PackinTiger!

Quote Originally Posted by flor1 View Post
    Moved from Florida to Georgia got my Georgia drivers licence as required within 30 day's. Then found out my Florida CCW is invalid here now that I'm concidered as a resident. Applied for my Georgia CCW told it would be 3 to4 week's wait if the probate judge decide's that I can have it not happy abit on having that be a decision soly on his own. Anyone here ever have a problem getting CCW in Geogia. Thanks for any input
    It depends on the county. The probate judge can't deny without reason but some will delay as long as possible. Getting my GFL was one of the best interactions I've ever had with government officials. $15 application fee, $29.25 for digital prints. I was told the wait would be 10 to 14 days. I received it in 3 business days with a letter listing states that GA has reciprocity with.

You can find lots of GA info at georgiapacking.org including a License Process by County database. Good luck!

Links