Has anyone tried and received permission

Has anyone tried and received permission

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried and received permission within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone tried and received/been denied permission to carry concealed on Corp of Engineers property? I asked about CCW from a lake office and was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Has anyone tried and received permission

  1. #1
    Member Array showmebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Salida, Colorado
    Posts
    141

    Has anyone tried and received permission

    Has anyone tried and received/been denied permission to carry concealed on Corp of Engineers property? I asked about CCW from a lake office and was referred to a person in KC who said I could apply to the District Commander for permission. I first have to send a letter with written justification for CCW to the lake office and they will then forward it to the District Commander.
    Thoughts?


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,287
    I hope that you have a great reason for CCW...Good Luck!

    Keep us informed, I would be very surprised to see that approved...depending upon your reason, of course.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array AllAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield, Kakalaki del Sur
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I hope that you have a great reason for CCW...Good Luck!

    Keep us informed, I would be very surprised to see that approved...depending upon your reason, of course.
    Indeed!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,883
    Does anyone know if there are codified or statutory guidance for the commander, or is it totally discretionary? Is there a definition somewhere of an acceptable reason? Or do commanders in different areas get to make different decisions?

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    You might use the old you might run into terrorists and if you are armed engage and annihilate them before they can carry out their mission reasoning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  6. #6
    Member Array Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    192
    When you say property do you mean land as in levies, flood plain projects, etc. or do you mean federal buildings. Federal buildings are a no no but land unless it's say a military base etc doesn't seem to fall under so much scruntiny.

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array SIGP250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MO - Rock Ranch
    Posts
    2,465
    It is a matter of need. I have had clearance to carry under military rules. MILCOM , now expired, at some bases in Europe but only one in the USA. It is a case by case clearance. It is probably not worth the effort unless needed or active.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

  8. #8
    Member Array showmebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Salida, Colorado
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    When you say property do you mean land as in levies, flood plain projects, etc. or do you mean federal buildings. Federal buildings are a no no but land unless it's say a military base etc doesn't seem to fall under so much scruntiny.
    I'm talking about lakes, boat launching areas, public use areas. Not the Corp lake offices. While it is doubtful that I would ever be checked, I can't take the chance to risk it.

  9. #9
    Member Array FLSquirrelHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FL, The "Stand Your Ground' State
    Posts
    383
    Please ask, and mention Heller. Get the answer in writing and send it to NRA-ILA.

    As for those who say it isn't worth the effort, let me disagree unless you can't affor dthe price of postage. If we don't press for the exercise of our rights, then we will be hard-pressed when we need them. Tell me how a DOE boat ramp is safer than a county boat ramp? Not, so why would you carry at a county boat ramp? And if you don't carry on a county boat ramp, then why carry on a county road, ... see where this leads?

    If I were the Commander, I'd refer it to legal and ask for a reason to deny it. I wouldn't really care if you do, but I would care that my troops have no way to sort out the approved from the unapproved and it's not my mission to get into the licensing business.

  10. #10
    Member Array Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    I'm talking about lakes, boat launching areas, public use areas. Not the Corp lake offices. While it is doubtful that I would ever be checked, I can't take the chance to risk it.
    I think you could find the regs if you spent enough time searching. Anything considered non-restricted public lands are just that. I would venture it probably falls under the same venue as BLM land. We are talking CC here and not Special Forces armed assult, right.

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    Has anyone tried and received/been denied permission to carry concealed on Corp of Engineers property? I asked about CCW from a lake office and was referred to a person in KC who said I could apply to the District Commander for permission. I first have to send a letter with written justification for CCW to the lake office and they will then forward it to the District Commander.
    Thoughts?

    1) I wasn't aware that the Corp of Engineers had property...they monitor/manage...but the property is no different than national parks...owned by the US government.

    2) I didn't realize that someone needed a "great reason" to carry. Regardless...I have no doubt the CoE have specific statutes on weapons in general.

    3) It maybe a matter of not where you are carrying, but who you work for while carrying...

    Rick

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Chorizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    2,176
    Most Army Corps of Engineers land out West, is managed by the BLM and as such falls under the same rules as BLM.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

    " I told my Pap and Mam I was comin' to the mountains…Mother Gue, I said, the Rocky Mountains are the marrow of the world. And by God I was right."
    Del Gue

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,883

    Corp operated dams etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    1) I wasn't aware that the Corp of Engineers had property...they monitor/manage...but the property is no different than national parks...owned by the US government.

    2) I didn't realize that someone needed a "great reason" to carry. Regardless...I have no doubt the CoE have specific statutes on weapons in general.

    3) It maybe a matter of not where you are carrying, but who you work for while carrying...

    Rick
    There is a large lake about 25 miles from here where there is a park near a corp built damn. I haven't been there in very many years, but the last time I was there, there was a sign saying that it was unlawful to carry on corp managed property, or something to that effect.

  14. #14
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There is a large lake about 25 miles from here where there is a park near a corp built damn. I haven't been there in very many years, but the last time I was there, there was a sign saying that it was unlawful to carry on corp managed property, or something to that effect.
    The point is the Corp of Engineers does not "own" property...but you knew that didn't you?

    Rick

  15. #15
    New Member Array bnabors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read you can not carry concealed or otherwise on corp property. I will have to find where I read that, but what I read basically says you cant not carry a firearm on corp property unless it is for hunting purposes or target practice at an approved range. I live close to Lake Texoma, and since it is a corp lake I take it that pretty much anywhere around the lake is off limits since the corp "manages" the property all the way around the lake.

    There is a lot of public hunting land where I live and at all the entrances they have posted "no target practicing" signs, so I assume that limits any firearms at that point to hunting purposes only.

    There are a lot of other outdoor activities that a person can enjoy on these lands, and I personally would still like to be able to protect myself should the need arrise.

    Again, anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this, and I personally would join any effort to get an answer/permission to carry on corp land.

    BJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Permission To Come Aboard . . .
    By av8er in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
  2. Why teachers need permission to CC
    By gimpy in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
  3. Why teachers need permission to CC
    By gimpy in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
  4. Joining In with your permission
    By Roller in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 9th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Search tags for this page

concealed carry corp of engineers

,

concealed carry on army corp oklahoma lakes

,

concelaed carry on corps of engineers property

,

weapons on corps of engineers property

Click on a term to search for related topics.