Well, I guess no carry for me when visiting KS - Page 2

Well, I guess no carry for me when visiting KS

This is a discussion on Well, I guess no carry for me when visiting KS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kansas honors resident permits from states with requirements at least as strict as the Kansas requirements. As far as I can tell they don't enter ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I guess no carry for me when visiting KS

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Kansas honors resident permits from states with requirements at least as strict as the Kansas requirements. As far as I can tell they don't enter any reciprocity agreements.

From a very informal review of the Indiana requirements, I saw no training requirement, and the age restriction was 18. Both of these factors would preclude KS from recognizing the license.

When they first adopted CC, the state AG reviewed other states' laws to determine which states would be recognized. A resulting report cited specific reasons why a state was denied, but I've been unable to locate that report currently.

For transporting, the law requires the weapon to be unloaded and in a closed container. This can be anything from a locked gun case to a zip lock bag (zip lock bag not recommended). The is state-wide preemption for the transportation requirements.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    According to the map...
    Carry Concealed

CO, KS, FL, MI, SC, WV

Fortunately, MI is one of those states that honor all issued resident permits in the country. As in, if you have a resident permit from your home state, you can carry in MI.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoguneddie View Post
    This is an interesting problem. Kansas does not honor Indiana, but Indiana apparently honors Kansas. Kansas does honor Colorado, a state that requires a resident permit, so that's not the problem. I think maybe that Kansas just has not gotten around to honoring Indiana and a friendly call, email, or just checking out their site, to the KBI might set the record straight. handgunlaw.com
    Incorrect link, should be:

Handgunlaw.us

It sounds like KS is like OK in the way that a handgun can be transported. OK law says that a gun is considered to be loaded if the gun and ammo are within the reach of the driver and/or within his immediate control. In other words, if you are driving a pickup, the gun could be in a locked glove box but the ammo had to be separate (locked in a tool box in the bed, behind the seat, etc. Just having it in a locked glove box was not good enough. It had to be carried in such a way as to be inoperable while the vehicle is in operation. It's a stretch, but you can always unlock your glove box and load up with one hand while driving. I'm not sayin' it's right, I'm just sayin'.....

On the other hand, you can carry a long gun with a loaded magazine, just not chamber loaded and be legal. I don't know about KS, but seeing as how the are both ag states the laws are probably close.
    To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless.
    Lysander Spooner (1808 1887)

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Long guns are under the same law, unloaded and in a container.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Be aware that Topeka has some very strict and strange laws if you are not a CCH holder. In your case a recognized CCH holder.

Hey Guys. I am new and taken my CCW. Waiting for my Permit, But my map of CCW. Reiprocity, Kansas is an orange state, which means they honor CCW from Indiana? and Missouri? Is this not right? the ones that are white are or, ca, ne, wy ia wi, il,ny, ma, nj, ri, me, so this map should be current, hope this helps. New and still learning though.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzo View Post
    Fortunately, MI is one of those states that honor all issued resident permits in the country. As in, if you have a resident permit from your home state, you can carry in MI.
    WV just passed legislation to take it off of that "no-nonresident permit list". I don't know exactly when it takes effect.
    Isn't KS an open carry state?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tradermike69 View Post
    Hey Guys. I am new and taken my CCW. Waiting for my Permit, But my map of CCW. Reiprocity, Kansas is an orange state, which means they honor CCW from Indiana? and Missouri? Is this not right? the ones that are white are or, ca, ne, wy ia wi, il,ny, ma, nj, ri, me, so this map should be current, hope this helps. New and still learning though.
    Not sure what map you're looking at, but according to Handgunlaw.us Kansas honors resident only permits from the following states:

Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado Florida
    Hawaii Kentucky Louisiana Michigan Minnesota
    Missouri Nebraska Nevada New Jersey New Mexico
    North Carolina Ohio Oklahoma South Carolina Tennessee
    Texas West Virginia

Hope you have a good time here, but that stinks you can't carry. I'm running into the same problem when I have to travel to DC for work later next month.

Not In "OUR" Backyard

Quote Originally Posted by yamadog35 View Post
    I live in Indiana and I just found out that some work circumstances will have me in Kansas for 3-5 days this summer. I have an Indiana carry permit and just got the Utah non-resident which gets me a couple of other states that I go to, but no Kansas. And it looks like there is no way to get Kansas unless I were a resident of one of the states they honor. This just bites. I get so frustrated with the differences among the states and who they do and don't work with on reciprocity.
    Have a simular situation, with summer travels taking me through Kansas and Colorado. Neither state accepts "non-resident" permits from other states. Not sure what the rationale behind this is? At first, thought it might be "training" requirements in the issuing state, but Arizona, Utah and Florida have training requirements attached to obtaining a CC permit. As far as "resident" permits, many states do not require that you attend "training" as a condition to obtain a CC permit. Now Florida, that's really baffling! They issue "non-resident" permits, but don't honor "non-resident" permits from other states.
    Go Figure!

I'll usually carry a good legal length folding knife and a quality OC spray in those situations(ie:fox labs)..and some common sense ..Is not exactly the same i know, but it's but still better than nothing
    ..and I'm still reasonably formidable with those
    Last edited by flyby; May 31st, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    26+ years ago, before I had a peace officer license, I could not carry a handgun in my home state of Texas. No such thing as a Texas CHL back then, and so for the few VERY few states that recognized non-res permits, I had nothing for them to recognize. I could travel to AZ or a very few states and open carry, or travel to Vermont, where no permit was, or still is, needed. It was possible to get a non-res in a very, very few states. Some of you young ones have no idea just how good we have it nowadays. I survived that period of my life just fine.

You fight with your brain, and with other flesh/blood parts of your anatomy. Guns, knives, and sticks are accessories for your brain and hands to use.

To quote (paraphrased) a movie character, who was actually speaking of a different context, but the words very applicable: We need to learn to think beyond our guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    A wise man recently told me this:

"Your sidearm is only your secondary weapon. Your primary weapon sits a few inches above your shoulders."

Just because you can't carry doesn't mean you are not armed.
    Hmm, alrighty then! Still, I’d much prefer to carry a gun to supplement my less than philosophical intellect.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Hints for living without firearms and other "tactical" weapons:

(1) Stay sober, and frequent places where other folks are sober.

(2) Don't consume alcohol, or frequent places where others do so.

(3) Stay aware of what is going on around you.

(4) Make eye contact with suspicious characters, long enough so they know you got a look, but short enough to not be seen as staring or challenging.

(5) Carry a decoy wallet in your hip pocket, and your real wallet elsewhere. MOST robbers want your wallet and visible jewelry, plus your watch if it is a nice one.

(6) If you think carrying a decoy wallet is a cowardly act, at least carry your most valuable stuff somewhere besides the wallet in your hip pocket.

I have not even gotten to improvised weapons yet; I am sure others will, or have, mentioned those. Just my random, pre-caffeinated thoughts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links