Well, I guess no carry for me when visiting KS

This is a discussion on Well, I guess no carry for me when visiting KS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Indiana and I just found out that some work circumstances will have me in Kansas for 3-5 days this summer. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I live in Indiana and I just found out that some work circumstances will have me in Kansas for 3-5 days this summer. I have an Indiana carry permit and just got the Utah non-resident which gets me a couple of other states that I go to, but no Kansas. And it looks like there is no way to get Kansas unless I were a resident of one of the states they honor. This just bites. I get so frustrated with the differences among the states and who they do and don't work with on reciprocity.

VIP Member
    A wise man recently told me this:

"Your sidearm is only your secondary weapon. Your primary weapon sits a few inches above your shoulders."

Just because you can't carry doesn't mean you are not armed.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Kansas is probably like CO I suppose where they do not issue non res permits either.

Check the laws but you should still be able to bring your firearm for protection in the hotel (assuming). Also check transportation restrictions. Not sure about Kansas but a lot of western states have no restrictions on pistols in a vehicle (permit or not) but even cased in your car with a loaded mag ready to go in is better than not at all.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

KS is also one of about 6 states that do not recognize a permit (on their list) unless the holder is a resident of the state that the permit is from...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    KS is also one of about 6 states that do not recognize a permit (on their list) unless the holder is a resident of the state that the permit is from...
    That's what he said in his OP.

I didn't realize it was up to about six states now though. I can only think of CO and KS.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    A wise man recently told me this:

"Your sidearm is only your secondary weapon. Your primary weapon sits a few inches above your shoulders."

Just because you can't carry doesn't mean you are not armed.
    Oh, I like that. I like that a lot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    That's what he said in his OP.

I didn't realize it was up to about six states now though. I can only think of CO and KS.

According to the map...
    Carry Concealed

CO, KS, FL, MI, SC, WV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You cannot carry a loaded handgun in a car in Ks without a Concealed handgun license,the only way to carry is the weapon has to be locked in the cargo compartment seperate from ammo as per federal transport regulations
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    the only way to carry is the weapon has to be locked in the cargo compartment seperate from ammo as per federal transport regulations
    Maybe I've been ignorant for a long time. Because I usually drove pickups, there is no cargo compartment to lock your gun inside. Before having a permit, I always had my gun cased in a softside case with a loaded magazine outside of the case. So then in a car, I would do the same thing. Cased but not in the trunk. As I recall, if you don't HAVE a case, the gun must be locked in the cargo compartment - thus, the cargo compartment is serving AS a case restricing instant access to the firearm.

If federal law stated that all firearms being transported must be cased in the trunk seperate from ammo, then how can CO allow loaded handguns in a vehicle without a permit, WY has no vehicle handgun law, or how could any state allow for CCW in a vehicle at all?

Again, maybe I'm ignorant here, need to go do some research.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Maybe I've been ignorant for a long time. Because I usually drove pickups, there is no cargo compartment to lock your gun inside. Before having a permit, I always had my gun cased in a softside case with a loaded magazine outside of the case. So then in a car, I would do the same thing. Cased but not in the trunk. As I recall, if you don't HAVE a case, the gun must be locked in the cargo compartment - thus, the cargo compartment is serving AS a case restricing instant access to the firearm.

If federal law stated that all firearms being transported must be cased in the trunk seperate from ammo, then how can CO allow loaded handguns in a vehicle without a permit, WY has no vehicle handgun law, or how could any state allow for CCW in a vehicle at all

Again, maybe I'm ignorant here, need to go do some research.
    My $0.02, just lock the gun and ammo in the glove box (again lock it) and do not give the authorities are reason to pull you over and you'll be fine.

We still need a CCW that is good in all states just like a drivers license. Some times it gets very confusing.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You cannot carry a loaded handgun in a car in Ks without a Concealed handgun license,the only way to carry is the weapon has to be locked in the cargo compartment seperate from ammo as per federal transport regulations
    I wonder if you are speaking of an error that has been made regarding carriers on the road? It has been spoken of, but is not correct.
    Can you provide chapter and verse regarding such a regulation?

Is this what you might be referring to?
    PHMSA - Interpretations by Date - Interpretation #06-0165

Regards,
    Jerry

Where in kansas will you be visiting?

Quote Originally Posted by ksuwildcat View Post
    Where in kansas will you be visiting?
    I will be in and around Topeka . . .

This is an interesting problem. Kansas does not honor Indiana, but Indiana apparently honors Kansas. Kansas does honor Colorado, a state that requires a resident permit, so that's not the problem. I think maybe that Kansas just has not gotten around to honoring Indiana and a friendly call, email, or just checking out their site, to the KBI might set the record straight. handgunlaw.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links