CC in North Carolina

This is a discussion on CC in North Carolina within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've had my concealed carry permit for about 2 weeks now. I'm a student, so I don't get to carry all that much, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC in North Carolina

CC in North Carolina

So I've had my concealed carry permit for about 2 weeks now. I'm a student, so I don't get to carry all that much, but I pretty much do whenever I leave the house if I'm not going to campus.

In North Carolina, you can't carry (open or concealed) in places that charge admission, such as movie theaters, or shows, etc. Well I had a question concerning Sam's Club. Obviously, you have to pay a yearly membership fee to shop at Sam's Club. Is this legally considered an "admission fee", which would preclude me from carrying? There are no signs on the door that say no weapons (which holds up as law in NC), and I'm not forking over cash at the door, so my understanding is that it is OK, but I want to be certain I understand the law completely.

I guess a similar situation would be golf courses and the like, as they have membership dues, but no admission fees. So, what say ye?

Kenny

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Technically Sam’s charges a membership fee and not an admission fee so carry there is legal. The admission fee applies to such venues as theaters, theme parks and others where it is paid just to get in for a short time for entertainment.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That was my understanding of the situation, thanks for the confirmation!

I carry at Sam's... Your 100% correct, if you fork up cash to walk in the door then the answer is NO

WTH... I cant carry into a movie theater that isnt posted?

Hmmmm
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    WTH... I cant carry into a movie theater that isnt posted?

Hmmmm
    Nope!

Not in North Carolina. I sure wish we could.

AL

The movie theater thing seems to actually depend on who you ask. After all, you don't have to pay to get into the building, you have to pay to watch the movie. If you just hang around in the lobby and the theater isn't posted, then you have not paid admission, and none is required for where you are.

I would not suggest to anyone that they carry inside a movie theater anywhere, but if one did, and actually managed to get charged, it would be an interesting defense.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

What a weird law..... but glad to know it for when I go to North Carolina this summer. Any other strange things to watch out for in the laws there ?

From our DOJ website:

In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison;
    In financial institutions such as a bank;
    In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
    In schools or on school grounds;
    In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;
    In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed [some fast food places serve alcohol here]
    In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law
    In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises;
    By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).

To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
    Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
    Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina
    Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
    Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

For all the NC residents, you already know we have some strange gun laws, like not being able to carry at a funeral or parade. The majority of these laws have been on the books long before we had CC in NC. Please join Grass Roots of NC, or at least sign up for the FREE alerts. I just got a email this morning that some reps have taken up the Castle Doctrine fight for us again!!!! We need to support these folks and tell our reps how we feel while we can!! There are also a couple bills to eliminate this law about addmission and the stupid other ones. You will never hear about these on TV or read them in the paper, so please join Grass Roots of NC. Just google it, you will be glad you did. Or simply sit and do nothing and complain about our stupid gun laws, your choice.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by ncmech View Post
    From our DOJ website:

In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison;
    In financial institutions such as a bank;
    In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
    In schools or on school grounds;
    In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;
    In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed [some fast food places serve alcohol here]
    In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law
    In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises;
    By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).

To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:
    Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
    Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina
    Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
    Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
    NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

Wow, your laws blow. And to think its an open carry state. I especially have a problem with the "assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations" part. That whole assembly thing could be broadly interpreted.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    And to think its an open carry state.
    It is only an open carry state because there are no laws expressly prohibiting open carry.

Open carrying in NC however is probably a really good way to get yourself arrested for the common law offense of "going armed to the terror of the public".

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post
    It is only an open carry state because there are no laws expressly prohibiting open carry.

Open carrying in NC however is probably a really good way to get yourself arrested for the common law offense of "going armed to the terror of the public".
    Not really, but a lot of cops want you to think so.

A) I OC a lot in NC
    B) Going Armed to the Terror of the public requires more than simply carrying a gun (or any other "unusual and dangerous weapon") . A person must be acting for the purpose of causing terror and in a manner of actually doing so.
    "Although a gun is an "unusual weapon," it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Drew M View Post

I really wish that people would stop spreading that rumor. Carrying a holstered handgun in no way, shape, or form meets the elements for that offense, two of which are "go about on public highways" and "with the intent to terrorize others".
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

It depends largely on where you are open-carrying as to how it is handled. It also depends on who called the cops on you.

Also remember - being arrested, being charged and being found guilty are 3 different things.

There are an awful lot of safety Nazis out there who will embellish their stories because they are "scared for the children". If someone sees you OCing, freaks out and calls the police hysterical you WILL probably be arrested - or at the very least detained in handcuffs until it gets sorted out. You will probably not be charged or found guilty in the end but I dare say in most metro areas of NC the police will error on the side of the hysterical citizen over the man OCing.

Remember - if your gun being OCed in a holster makes some idiot hysterical and they feel terrorized by it a case can be made against you because the law doesn't expressly define what constitutes "causing terror".

Maybe I am way off base with this but to be honest - I just see OCing as a way to bring all sorts of aggravation on yourself unless your state has laws specifically allowing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links