Confused on Gunbuster

This is a discussion on Confused on Gunbuster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I walked into a grocery store that is not posted to get groceries, but had to drop off a check for deposit at the bank ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused on Gunbuster

Confused on Gunbuster

I walked into a grocery store that is not posted to get groceries, but had to drop off a check for deposit at the bank branch inside the store. At the counter, there's a gunbuster sign. So if you carry, what do you do? Stand a couple feet back from the counter?

2. Remove Ads

that would depend on if it's an official sign, and what your state regulations are?

Locate a different bank and use it's drive up window or drive up ATM.

Carry is a lifestyle choice and like any other lifestyle choice there comes acceptance in having to deal with restrictions and change.
    This instance for you here with the bank and broadly for many of us visiting a USPS counter is another.

Recognize, adapt, and overcome.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I only go one place that doesnt allow me to carry my weapon, and thats college campus. So that is the worst place to be unarmed in my opinion, but I do because its the law.
    You have to ask you're self is it legal to carry there, and if not where can you go that you can do the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by cibertiger View Post
    I walked into a grocery store that is not posted to get groceries, but had to drop off a check for deposit at the bank branch inside the store. At the counter, there's a gunbuster sign. So if you carry, what do you do? Stand a couple feet back from the counter?
    Did you actually go past the sign carrying your firearm? Until you actually go past the sign, you are not "violating" the sign. Even if you do "violate" the sign, in most states it is not an offense until management asks you to leave and you don't, then it is trespassing.

1943 - 2009
    The bank is a private enterprise and it has a right to prohibit firearms in its premises. It's your choice whether to comply or not.

Kansas state law does not prohibit concealed firearms in banks (as far as I can tell.)

KSA 75-7c10: Same; posted places where carrying concealed weapon not authorized; penalties for violations.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'm going to have to say it's probably not wise to carry under those circumstances.

If it's anything like the bank branches you find in Wal-Mart, the counter is set back a ways in a room at the front of the store. They have their own lobby distinguishable from the Wal-Mart proper.

If it's a regulation sign visibly posted near the entrance (you saw it, so it was) then as soon as you step inside it is a criminal offense (Class B misdemeanor in Kansas; not a leave-else-trespass state).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

If the bank is in the store with no lobby only a counter are you in the bank or the store?

The sign is generally equivalent to an employee telling you that you can't carry in the store. If an employee told you that, it wouldn't mean can't carry past this point. If they have the sign you can't carry there - sorry. Write your representatives and ask them to make those signs meaningless if you feel strongly about it. Go elsewhere in the meantime and write the store a letter explaining why they lost your business.

The sign has to be regulation. The exact sign as listed on the AG's website. If not, it's not enforceable. The law states that "each sign shall be displayed in a manner that makes the sign reasonably likely to come to the attention of persons entering the premises." I'm not sure how that plays out to a business inside of a business, as in what is the definition of the entry to the premises?

Also, if your bank is posted, change your account to one that isn't. There are some that allow CCW inside the bank.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

I don't think this would be an issue unless you were open carry. I can't see any reason for the bank putting up the sign.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIKERIDER View Post
    If the bank is in the store with no lobby only a counter are you in the bank or the store?
    I would say you're ok ...... but I also don't want to be a test case.

The sign if nothing else is a clear indication that they don't want my business. Kansas banks are almost universally anti-CCW, but I've found no such prohibition in BOA.

Personally I bank with USAA. All of my banking needs (including deposits) are done via correspondence.

Please everyone understand that laws between states vary. Here in MO, they have to notice and ask you to leave. In Kansas, it's a crime to carry in a posted building.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I try to not do business with anyone who posts, legal or otherwise.

I was going into a pawnshop the other day just to see what guns they might have and as I pull in I see a huge sign. It wasnt legal signage. I just threw it in reverse and left.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    Use a branch away from the store and suck it up

My banker told me he welcomes every honest concealed carrier he can get. He said he wished he could put up a sign stating "All customers are armed". He gets it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links