CC while injured, what have you done?

This is a discussion on CC while injured, what have you done? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently as in last week dislocated forcefully my shoulder twice, and still am not able to draw my weapon on that side. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC while injured, what have you done?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar

I recently as in last week dislocated forcefully my shoulder twice, and still am not able to draw my weapon on that side.
    I am thankful I able to shoot left or right, but mostly use right. I unfortunatly didnt have any of my left handed holsters with me as I was out of town, so was forced to conceal a Bersa .380 in my arm sling.
    Has anyone else had to do anything like this, and any advice. My arms out of the sling, but not able to draw really yet.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Whatever works !
    One caveat: some states, I believe, require that you carry in a holster ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I'm in the same boat as you. My right arm is useless for a while. I can shoot with either hand but prefer my right. I've put a ClipDraw on my guns , you can put it wherever you want to, and change them around since you get extra tape.

When I had my shoulder surgery I couldn't use my right arm for a couple months, waited until I was off the pain meds before I started to carry again. Pocket carry is probably your best bet.
    Thanks,
    Rock

VIP Member

Not an arm/shoulder injury, but, had major abdominal surgery
    and just used a fannypack until I could wear a belt, then wore the buckle off center for a couple of weeks.

About died...then had a kidney removed...

At home, the Kimber was still next to me. When back to being out on the street, I always had something with me...a Kimber, a KelTec...something.
    At a time when I would be at my weakest...it was most important to be armed.
    Would it have hurt to draw? Yes, painfully...but getting robbed and beaten would still have been much worse.
    OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd get a cheap holster and some Velcro and fasten the holster inside the sling somewhere comfortable. Just enough to keep it from moving around and still allow access.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I would get to the range and start practicing drawing and shooting in whatever fashion doesn't put you in pain. When you really need it is the wrong time to "figure it out"

kpw
    I've had my right hand in a cast twice in the last 15 years. The first time I had pins holding stuff together. It took about a year with a bunch of therapy to get most of the use back. I carried a SW 442 in a jacket pocket or a G27 in a left hand belt slide. Lots of practice goes a long way. I never did get used to brushing my teeth wrong-handed. Hope you heal-up fast.

Broke my arm 8 weeks ago, now out of the sling. I carry my Colt Defender in my pocket. I found it is nearly impossible to get my pants up when there is a holster on the belt. Using only one arm to dress is a real challange. It takes time for the arm to recover coorination and strength. Untill that happens it is pocket carry for me.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Actually Im lucky, I regularly train with both hands. Im an ambidexrious(sp?) shooter. I tend to carry right handed because my left shakes, and has some issues, then again so does my right, just not as bad.

I have carried while injured. But, if I was on pain madication, then I do not.

Luckily, so far I have not injured my dominant arm/hand so I have not had to carry weak hand side only. But I do practice with my weak hand for just such a situation.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have carried while injured. But, if I was on pain madication, then I do not.
    I was going to start a new thread about this, then lo and behold! Right here it is!

I was rear ended recently and had a lot of neck pain the next day (still do). I know, I know, everyone does. They prescribed a muscle relaxant and naproxen. I was going to ask you folks, if you were in that situation would you carry? I never carry if I'm drinking (against the law here and just not something I'd do anyways) but the fact that I'm on medication for something that wasn't my fault shouldn't leave me to be among the unarmed masses.

Then again, both medications cause dizziness, and I'm sure impaired judgment. Therefore if I had to take something to court I would have to put up one hell of a fight.

What do you guys think?

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I had to have carpal tunnel surgery a couple of years ago on both hands. Had them done one at a time bout a month apart. While the right hand was in a splint I just did not carry. I had no left handed holsters so it was a lesson learned for me. We should all have a weak side backup available.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dahahn View Post
    I was going to start a new thread about this, then lo and behold! Right here it is!

I was rear ended recently and had a lot of neck pain the next day (still do). I know, I know, everyone does. They prescribed a muscle relaxant and naproxen. I was going to ask you folks, if you were in that situation would you carry? I never carry if I'm drinking (against the law here and just not something I'd do anyways) but the fact that I'm on medication for something that wasn't my fault shouldn't leave me to be among the unarmed masses.

Then again, both medications cause dizziness, and I'm sure impaired judgment. Therefore if I had to take something to court I would have to put up one hell of a fight.

What do you guys think?
    That would have to be a personal decision, only you could know your tolerances and ability to know right from wrong while medicated.

Alchohol being a whole nother subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links