Speak to attorney first?

This is a discussion on Speak to attorney first? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome to the forum. If someone threatens you with a deadly weapon even the police would expect you to have pulled your weapon if you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speak to attorney first?

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

If someone threatens you with a deadly weapon even the police would expect you to have pulled your weapon if you had one.

You should report the incident exactly as it happened. You would have done nothing wrong and have nothing to worry about.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    I guess I'm curious as to why you would call the police. The incident is over, the perp is gone and the point is moot. You have succeeded in defending yourself without firing a shot. I think I'd go home, pour myself a glass of single malt and celebrate the fact that because I've exercised my 2nd Amendment rights I have not become a statistic. The only time I would call the police is if I had to fire my weapon in self defense.
    Moot point? Hardly.

What happens when the BG calls the police and claims that you pulled a gun on him?

Now it's your word against his.

50 - 50 toss-up.

I don't like those odds. Do You?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

And don't forget that 911 tape is a permanent record of your mental state at the time of the incident. Don't say anything you wouldn't like to hear being played in court.

First of all welcome to the forum

And I hope you enjoy DC as much as I do…

I’ve been carrying a gun for over 30 years, both as a civilian and an LEO, and I normally make it a point to call 911 each and every time, I’ve drawn my pistol.

Look at it this way.
    Your CCL does not make you an LEO, but it gives you the means to defend you and your love ones from a would be attacker. The only time you’re authorized to use deadly force is when you’re threatened. With this in mind, you’re the victim, of a crime and should report it ASAP.

However, if the questions start getting “abrasive” tell the investigating officer you would like to speak with your attorney before going any further.

Also, keep in mind that pulling your pistol on someone is called brandishing, and in most states that can get you in allot of hot water, unless you where authorized to use deadly force, but you found it unnecessary to take his life due to the BG fleeing etc.

I guess I'm curious as to why you would call the police. The incident is over, the perp is gone and the point is moot. You have succeeded in defending yourself without firing a shot. I think I'd go home, pour myself a glass of single malt and celebrate the fact that because I've exercised my 2nd Amendment rights I have not become a statistic. The only time I would call the police is if I had to fire my weapon in self defense.
    To cover your own butt. And to maybe get a scumbag off the streets that will probably try to mug someone else or even hurt/kill them... do your part to be a productive member of society. The sheepdog doesn't only look out for himself...
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

You should watch this video, everyone should watch this video......several times.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-police.html

In your case, I would call my lawyer first and ask him for advice, regardless of the circumstances. If LEO's wanted you to "go downtown" to talk about the incident, at that point, I would shut my trap and demand my lawyer.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

What happens when the BG calls the police and claims that you pulled a gun on him?

Now it's your word against his.

50 - 50 toss-up.

I don't like those odds. Do You?
    That's some pretty heavy assumptions.

Assumption 1 - The scumbag can ID me
    Assumption 2 - I can ID the scumbag
    Assumption 3 - I have not been careful enough in my situational awareness that I don't know if there are other "witnesses".
    Assumption 4 - Someone who threatened me would call the police
    Assumption 5 - I'm going to stay on site and wait for the police to get there
    Assumption 6 - The BG is going to risk a confrontation with the police and stay on site
    Assumption 7 - 50 50 odds that the police will believe a scumbag over someone who has had a BI and is legally in possession of a deadly weapon.

To Omega2669's point, I am already a productive member of society. I am not a cop wannabe. I have no obligation to anyone other than myself and my loved ones. One of the reasons there are CHL holders who get in trouble is that they assume too much risk in the protection of society. I am not a "sheepdog". I've already spent enough time in a combat zone protecting the rights of those who could care less one way or another.

I am not so arrogant as to assume that my opinion is the only one or the right one. But it is my opinion, and my choice.

I am betting that my odds are better than 50/50 should the unlikely event occur that the perp would have the cojones to call the police after he threatened me with bodily harm. I'm betting he already has a record. I'm betting he's already had previous confrontations with law enforcement. And if he is stupid enough to call the police, and the police arrest me, I'm betting that I can keep my mouth shut long enough for my attorney to step in. I like those odds.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Because, the 1st one to call 911 is the victim....

Alway, Always call 911 and report it.

If the guy calls and says some redneck threatened him with a gun, you could be in real trouble, not even doing anything wrong......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Good points all. I normally don't take the part of the devil's advocate, but in this case I chose to do so. I can't speak for others, but I often make assumptions which are not necessarily true.

In the scenario presented, depending upon extraneous circumstances, I might or might not call the police. But as presented, with as little information given, I probably would not have called the police for the reasons stated in an earlier post. If there were other witnesses, I would have called 911 and reported the incident. If the perp seemed drunk or disoriented, I would have called 911. If I determined there were any possibility that the perp could ID me, I would have called 911. But none of the above was part of the scenario as presented. And that's the problem with presenting scenarios. In most cases, they are one dimensional, and additional information is assumed.

I stand by my choices in the scenario as presented.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

If I pull my gun on someone I would call 911, if I discharge my gun I will call my lawyer also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller2 View Post
    If I pull my gun on someone I would call 911, if I discharge my gun I will call my lawyer also.
    I like your thinking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links