Texas, and 60 Days Are Up - Page 2

Texas, and 60 Days Are Up

This is a discussion on Texas, and 60 Days Are Up within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I and my wife got our CHL on day #60, with day #1 being the day I new the paperwork was in Austin (registered mail). ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I and my wife got our CHL on day #60, with day #1 being the day I new the paperwork was in Austin (registered mail). Ours came on March 27th (wow, it has not even been two weeks now that we have been carrying -- and it seems so normal now ).

I know it is tough to wait, but hang in there -- it will come.

As others have already mentioned, it is perfectly legal to have a loaded handgun in your car in Texas even without the CHL. It just has to be concealed. I would also add "secured", when you left the vehicle. We are thinking about getting a "COM safe" for that purpose.

Why would we need a car safe if we have a CHL? We are often at horse shows. And some of those venues are "code 30.06" locations, where CC is prohibited.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texasccw View Post
    Ernie--- please check the law yourself, but I believe that you can carry concealed and loaded in your car at all times. The only time that you can carry on your person is to and from your home and to and from your work if allowed by your employer. Before I received my CHL I carried at my place of business (self-employed) and at home to get accustomed to carrying.
    I am not sure, but I believe that if you do not have your CHL you must remove the firearm from your person once you are in the vehicle. Please confirm before doing the above mentioned.
    I was referring to carrying in the vehicle (glove box/ console) anywhere you go. You are correct about not having in (on your person) while in the car. Thanks.

Eureka! I Found it In the Mail

Well, the DPS web site gave me good news last Friday, April 10, and it was in my mailbox today. Off to WallyWorld...

Got my plastic today.... Wally Walk complete.

Time frame?

Took the class 12-6, mailed application 12-15.
    Received a "photo too dark letter, returned new pics in Feb 2.
    Online status "application complete" 4-2
    Plastic received 4-13.

Thought it would NEVER get here.

For those waiting, be patient (as hard as that is).

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I was referring to carrying in the vehicle (glove box/ console) anywhere you go. You are correct about not having in (on your person) while in the car. Thanks.
    Ernie, It is always up to the LEO that makes the stop how he handles it. What the DPS staff attorneys told me was that "DPS officers would arrest anyone with a loaded weapon in their vehicle who was not licensed unless they were directly traveling between 2 destinations that they control". It took 88 days to get my renewal back and I'm an instructor!
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member
    CHL Instructor
    TXCHIA Member
    BPOE Member

Congrats on the arrival of your permit! Enjoy your WWW.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

As a Texas resident, I do carry in my glove compartment (waiting to have a weekend to take the CHL). I have a copy of the Texas law pertaining to the legality of carrying in my vehicle as well. Also, from the way I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), but I non-CHL doesn't have to notify a LEO during a stop like a CHL holder does. In most cases, that kinda mutes the point about whether a DPS officer personally plans to arrest someone outside the legality of the law anyhow.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Congrats!! How were the nachos?
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Nah!

Lots of old guys around here!
    I was thinking of the same reply, or something similar, picturing a scene from that very same television show.

Biker

75 days and still counting for me. It seems that with todays tech in which you can get just about anything instantly 60-90 days to check someone out is a little to much. Anyway maybe it wont be to much longer.
    ""If you dont like America than get the hell out"".

VIP Member
    Originally posted by ErnieNWillis I was under the impression that you could carry in your car at all times. Am I mistaken?
    no, you were not mistaken (unless a person isn't supposed to be in possession of a firearm anyway, member of street gang, or committing a crime above a traffic violation), Kerbouchard was merely pointing out how one could carry outside the vehicle legally

Quote Originally Posted by texasccw View Post
    I am not sure, but I believe that if you do not have your CHL you must remove the firearm from your person once you are in the vehicle. Please confirm before doing the above mentioned.
    NO!!!!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    there is NO stipulation in the weapons laws about not having it on your person in a vehicle! having a pistol under your seat, in console, in glove box, in passenger seat under a jacket/pillow is all considered 'about your person' and the law says you may not have a handgun (loaded or unloaded) on OR about your person unless you have a CHL, on your property or property under your control or in your vehicle/vehicle under your control or en route to said vehicle
    You do NOT have to take the pistol off of your body in a vehicle!!!
    repeating....you CAN carry in a holster on your body in a vehicle as long as its concealed!

Originally posted by ErnieNWillis You are correct about not having in (on your person) while in the car.
    ok, you're 50/50 now, you are mistaken on this one, refer to above

Originally posted by TXCHI It is always up to the LEO that makes the stop how he handles it. What the DPS staff attorneys told me was that "DPS officers would arrest anyone with a loaded weapon in their vehicle who was not licensed unless they were directly traveling between 2 destinations that they control".
    (not slamming you, just the thought of these lawyers/DPS saying this)
    ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? I know LEOs use discretion on each stop and stops concerning CHLs...but I'm surprised DPS attorneys would say such a thing...since it directly contradicts state law. I spoke with a Lt. and 2 other troopers here and they've never heard of anything these attorneys told you, and my department sure doesn't do this. The part about traveling between 2 destination they control is hogwash-nowhere in the laws. Sounds like a great case for getting sued to me.
    I'm curious, you being a CHL instructor...what did you say to these attorneys when they said that?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

crap, I use to live in Illinois for a few years. I wonder if that is going to delay mine?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    crap, I use to live in Illinois for a few years. I wonder if that is going to delay mine?

you've been marked
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Patience grasshopper patience.

Am I the only one old enough to remember that TV show?
    no....I know what you're talking about also
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links