Texas, and 60 Days Are Up

This is a discussion on Texas, and 60 Days Are Up within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It has been 60 days, including weekends, since the Department of Public Safety sent my letter acknowledging they have received my CHL application. According to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas, and 60 Days Are Up

It has been 60 days, including weekends, since the Department of Public Safety sent my letter acknowledging they have received my CHL application. According to the law, they are supposed to advise me of any problems or issue the license. I know they aren't finding any problems in the background checks, so what could be the problem? I'm sure they're buried in applications, but the 60-day requirement seems to be written into law, so you'd think they would make provisions to honor the code. Anybody else have experience with this? Or is the 60 days really 60 "working" days?

This has been addressed before,they are backed up but seem to be getting out applications closer to 60 days than in the past which was 90 to 120 days,If you want more info texaschlforum.com has texas specific information
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It will come.. be patient.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

mkh
    Patience grasshopper patience.

Am I the only one old enough to remember that TV show?

I believe it is 60 working days!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Patience grasshopper patience.

Am I the only one old enough to remember that TV show?
    Nah!

Lots of old guys around here!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

It took 100 days to receive mine. I think this is more the standard than the exception.

JT
    Last time I renewed I had to call them twice. The second time it got the ball rolling.

But I wouldn't pester them. I called them a few days after it was due and then again about three weeks later. I think I had it about a week after the second call.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by wine6978 View Post
    I believe it is 60 working days!
    No, its 60 calander days, but its not necessarily 60 calander days from the time they recieve the application. Its worded weird and there is actually an extra possible 30 days in there.

Either way, it doesn't matter. They are commited to 60 days from reciept and they are actually going to change the wording in upcoming legislation to clairfy it.

They are swamped with apps, and they just can't get through everything fast enough. They have not been sending the required letter but I think that most people think that is a good thing. The required letter would just make more work and take somebody away from processing apps.

If the OP is really impatient, I do know several people who have contacted their representative and after a call from a staffer, their CHL was in hand within a week. I am sure it only works if it is waiting to be entered, rather than waiting for a background check.

Remember, they have to wait until every county you have lived in reports back. Its not just a national background check. It is also a local one.

At this stage, the only thing I would do is send an e-mail to DPS and ask them to ensure that the fingerprints were acceptable. Then at 90 days, I would contact my representative.

Try to remember that you aren't the only one who is trying to get your CHL, now. The applications are up some 300% and they are operating off the same budget that was set over a year ago.

Anyway, congrats on making the decision to get your CHL...I'm sure the wait is almost over. Also, remember that you can carry in your car, to and from your home, and to and from work(depending on your employer, of course. You have to have permission) without a CHL based on the Sept 2007 changes.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Anyway, congrats on making the decision to get your CHL...I'm sure the wait is almost over. Also, remember that you can carry in your car, to and from your home, and to and from work(depending on your employer, of course. You have to have permission) without a CHL based on the Sept 2007 changes
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Does it have to be to and from work? Why not to and from the grocery store or to and from the movies? I was under the impression that you could carry in your car at all times. Am I mistaken?

Time

It is government what do you expect - there is real time and government time - government time is 1.5 of real time, thus 60 days of real time = 90 days of government time or in case of an emergency or lack of ambition that number can be modified to 2.0 of real time. This does not account for lost paperwork, confused staff or the "only person who can do that job is on vacation for two weeks." I say all this with only partial cynicism as someone who once faxed the same evaluation on a client to DMV nine times. While that is the record, I have many more who are close. I always tell clients, "never mail a master report." Some have learned why the hard way.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Ernie--- please check the law yourself, but I believe that you can carry concealed and loaded in your car at all times. The only time that you can carry on your person is to and from your home and to and from your work if allowed by your employer. Before I received my CHL I carried at my place of business (self-employed) and at home to get accustomed to carrying.
    I am not sure, but I believe that if you do not have your CHL you must remove the firearm from your person once you are in the vehicle. Please confirm before doing the above mentioned.

VIP Member
    The only requirement for anyone to carry in their car is for the weapon to be concealed.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have heard various time frames for the turn around here in Texas. I have been told that the average time lately is 90 days, but then others say it is handled in the normal 60.

My Texas CHL came in about 45 days after I received my notice that is was being processed. However, my good friend who sent his in a few days after me did not get his for 60+ days.

I have also been told that there are between 1 and 3 people processing applications on any given day, so who knows.

Hope it comes in for you soon!

Obama's election has done more to promote the sale of guns and the pursuit of licensing than any other president in the history of the /united States.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links