Any One Handed Shooters?

Any One Handed Shooters?

This is a discussion on Any One Handed Shooters? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to lose the use of my left arm (temporarily) and was wondering if there are any 1 armed members and how they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any One Handed Shooters?

Any One Handed Shooters?

I am about to lose the use of my left arm (temporarily) and was wondering if there are any 1 armed members and how they handle things. Luckily I am right handed and I may still be able to use the left hand while in a sling just not able to raise the shoulder.

Isn't that something we should be practicing anyway?
    Not something I do a lot of...could do much more for just the reason you stated.

Shooting is one thing, but changing mags, racking a slide, etc., would certainly take much practice and focus.

Good luck.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great topic. I have a buddy who's right arm is disabled from an accident. We used to shoot all the time when we were kids and I often think of inviting him to go to the range with me but I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Senior Moderator
    There are one-handed techniques for just about everything. Things like retsupt99 listed but as he said they do require practice.

If you won't be able to raise your left hand to your shoulder, a laser sight could be very useful.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I participate in a one-hand .22 league. I'm a lefty (the true right hand), and shoot left-handed.

Some shoot square to the gun, but most shoot with both heels in line with the target, gun extended to your side, with your opposite hand pressed flat on your leg (if possible) for stability.

You are supposed to use two hands? ;-) For defensive shooting, most of the time I practice one handed. It is typically faster and accurate enough.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

My wife's uncle is a competitive shooter and instructor. Whenever I go to the range with him, he is always telling me to shoot with one hand, both strong side and weak side. He explained that you never know when one side will be disabled, or when you have to shoot around a barrier that does not allow a two-handed grip. After the second trip to the range, I could hit the 75-yard gong about 75% of the time with the strong side, and about 50% weak side.

I've been having to do quite a bit of one-handed shooting since I started shooting IDPA. I'm still no good at the weak-hand stuff, but it's like anything else ... practice helps.

I've yet to shoot a match that required one-handed reloading or racking the slide with one hand, though.

I shoot one handed all the time, strong and support. Also Pratice dropping the mag reholstering and slide in new mag and rack using belt all one handed. For my support side stick locked back unloaded firarm in pocket instead of the holster. Can also place firarm in between legs to hold while sliding in new mag.

Quote Originally Posted by dudester View Post
    Great topic. I have a buddy who's right arm is disabled from an accident. We used to shoot all the time when we were kids and I often think of inviting him to go to the range with me but I don't want to hurt his feelings.
    Take him!! I have a friend that lost the use of his left arm as a teenager (M/C accident), he now shoots a wheel gun and let me say, very good too. And has no problems with a long gun either. We still enjoy shooting together every year when he visits from California.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My grandfather lost his right arm in WWII to a mortar round. He could shoot any rifle. I never saw him shoot a pistol, but he had quite a collection of them when he died and they weren't 60 years old so he bought them after he lost his arm. He could tie his shoes, wash his hand with a bar of soap(try it sometime), and smoke and drive a stick shift at the same time. Never underestimate anyone. He also built a cinder block workshop that was about 15 ft by 20 ft with no help. Also, i forgot to mention that he lost his right arm and was right handed before it happened.

VIP Member
    I shoot both 1 & 2 handed, depends what works best that day.

As expected we will try the non surgical methods first, but shoulder recovery takes a lot longer than other body parts. In the meanwhile did you know you can get 1000 ibuprofen for $18?

Do you call yours a HANDS gun

The vast majority of "gun fights" are going to happen very quickly, in 10 yards or less, without sights and sometimes off balance, so you better be shooting one handed and practice, practice, practice!!! Here is a good "How To" video that might help How to Shoot a Gun with One Hand | Expert Village Videos
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links