Nashville Sophistry or Staring into the glow of idiocy

This is a discussion on Nashville Sophistry or Staring into the glow of idiocy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On the cover of this morning’s The Tennessean , “House passes eatery gun bill”. Our Republican dominated House passed, 70 to 26, a bill that ...

Thread: Nashville Sophistry or Staring into the glow of idiocy

Nashville Sophistry or Staring into the glow of idiocy

On the cover of this morning’s The Tennessean, “House passes eatery gun bill”. Our Republican dominated House passed, 70 to 26, a bill that would allow ccw permit holders to carry inside establishments that serve alcohol. Woo Hoo.

Hold on. Our Patrician governor, Phil Bredesen, isn’t sure whether he’d sign it into law. Isn’t sure? Are you kidding me? A man at the helm of a state government doesn’t know where he stands on a simple straightforward issue in of all places, the Real South?

He must have his thumb in the air to see which way the wind’s blowing at the present moment.

What’s more, the paper almost accomplished journalism in that it shed nearly as much light on the bill’s advocates as it did the mental heavyweights in opposition. The part of this article and the entire discussion is reduced to the most simple aspect of every ‘carry’ debate. Bad people, criminals, and the insane don’t give a damn what the laws are. They always have and always will flout the law with impunity. While law abiding permit holders will lock the weapon into the glove box and proceed into Red Lobster.

Is it just me or isn’t this painfully obvious? How have the press and classroom thought leaders kept common sense at bay for so long? I am seriously asking you, a collective of reasonably intelligent people, how does it happen?

In the meantime, keep your digits wrapped that we get this bill passed and signed into law in TN.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. TR

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Locust Grove View Post
    He must have his thumb in the air to see which way the windís blowing at the present moment.
    You guys in Tennessee need to blow on his thumb big time.

You have to convince him through letters, emails or phone calls that his political career is over if he fails to sign on this bill.

Good luck and keep us posted.

W/a 70-26 vote, you'd think he'd jump on the band wagon. In fact, you'd think he'd try to claim some sort of credit for this bill.

e.g "Under my urging, the Legislature has passed a bill which will go a long way towards insuring the safety of all law abiding citizens of our great state."
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

This one of the things that I just don't understand about politicians, I don't care if they are anti-gun or not, they should listen to the people!

I would vote for anyone, regardless of their personal feelings, as long as they do what they are elected for, do the will of the "people"!!!

If both Houses pass this bill, then that should tell the Governor that the "people" want him to sign it into law! Duh!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

On the cover of this morningís The Tennessean, ďHouse passes eatery gun billĒ. Our Republican dominated House passed, 70 to 26, a bill that would allow ccw permit holders to carry inside establishments that serve alcohol. Woo Hoo.

Hold on. Our Patrician governor, Phil Bredesen, isnít sure whether heíd sign it into law. Isnít sure? Are you kidding me? A man at the helm of a state government doesnít know where he stands on a simple straightforward issue in of all places, the Real South?

He must have his thumb in the air to see which way the windís blowing at the present moment.

Whatís more, the paper almost accomplished journalism in that it shed nearly as much light on the billís advocates as it did the mental heavyweights in opposition. The part of this article and the entire discussion is reduced to the most simple aspect of every Ďcarryí debate. Bad people, criminals, and the insane donít give a damn what the laws are. They always have and always will flout the law with impunity. While law abiding permit holders will lock the weapon into the glove box and proceed into Red Lobster.

Is it just me or isnít this painfully obvious? How have the press and classroom thought leaders kept common sense at bay for so long? I am seriously asking you, a collective of reasonably intelligent people, how does it happen?

In the meantime, keep your digits wrapped that we get this bill passed and signed into law in TN.
    I hear you my brother,ive been watching this too,its alot o trouble to disarm,before going to eat,leaving your only family protection,out in the car,so the BGs will have the gun free zone all to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    You guys in Tennessee need to blow on his thumb big time.

You have to convince him through letters, emails or phone calls that his political career is over if he fails to sign on this bill.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    yup, hes the SOB that kicked and thousands of other people of Tncare incurance,left us without anything.I cant stand the crooked sob.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    You have to flood his office with letters, phone calls, and emails politely urging him to sign it. We had to do the same thing with Gov. Perdue in Ga. last year with getting carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. I was afraid he was going to crawfish us but he did the right thing. Of course the antis and the restaurant association will serve up the same falsehoods that the local Red Lobster will become a wild west shootout and the floors will have blood all over them yada yada yada. Use Ga. and the countless other states that allow this as examples in your letters and conversations.

PS. If he does crawfish you, I would politely tell him to start packing up his stuff in the Governor's mansion because you are going to go shopping for a new Governor that believes in the people's 2nd amendment rights.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

He needs a strong nudge.

The political winds are shifting all over the place, and recent events would make his immediate signing of the bill a potential hot issue. Whether he's for or against he, he wants to give the impression that he's weighing everything carefully.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Happened in VA!

We don't have any real leverage over him, thankfully he can't run again thanks to term limits. I'd LIKE to believe he's going to sign it, or at the very least let it sit on his desk unsigned until it becomes law.
    It's not a perfect bill, we have to be finished with dinner by 11pm or go out and disarm...like that won't be a dead (pun intended) giveaway that there's something of value in the car. We also can't carry in any "age restricted venue" and unfortunately our signage carries the force of law so they can post their premises. That's OK with me, let's me know where to spend my money...just hope my favorite Mexican place doesn't post
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    Hold on. Our Patrician governor, Phil Bredesen, isnít sure whether heíd sign it into law. Isnít sure? Are you kidding me? A man at the helm of a state government doesnít know where he stands on a simple straightforward issue in of all places, the Real South? [emphasis added]

Whatís more, the paper almost accomplished journalism in that it shed nearly as much light on the billís advocates as it did the mental heavyweights in opposition. The part of this article and the entire discussion is reduced to the most simple aspect of every Ďcarryí debate. Bad people, criminals, and the insane donít give a damn what the laws are. They always have and always will flout the law with impunity. While law abiding permit holders will lock the weapon into the glove box and proceed into Red Lobster.

Is it just me or isnít this painfully obvious? How have the press and classroom thought leaders kept common sense at bay for so long? [emphasis added] I am seriously asking you, a collective of reasonably intelligent people, how does it happen?
    With sincere apologies to our fine members from New Jersey, Governor Bredesen was born in the Garden State, not the "Patron State of Shooting Stuff." As for the second point, common sense, unfortunately, is none too common now-a-days, especially in the quarters you mentioned...I live in the second one.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I have emailed and called the Governors office today and will do so again tomorrow to make sure he knows that I am completely behind this bill becoming law.

I urge all my fellow Tennesseans to do the same thing. Flood the Governors office with emails and phone calls in support of this bill becoming the law of the land.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Yep,

We finally got rid of Naifeh ...........
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Links