New to carrying my setup -- what would you recommend?

This is a discussion on New to carrying my setup -- what would you recommend? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have finally purchased one of my two dream carry guns! I now have my Glock 23!!! So far I have purchased a Comp-Tac Infidel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to carrying my setup -- what would you recommend?

I have finally purchased one of my two dream carry guns! I now have my Glock 23!!!

So far I have purchased a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB holster. What would you recommend I wear to cover it and not print?

I am concerned that a long shirt will cover it but may print.

All advice will be appreciated!

-Glock40Texan

Quote Originally Posted by Glock40Texan View Post
    I have finally purchased one of my two dream carry guns! I now have my Glock 23!!!

So far I have purchased a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB holster. What would you recommend I wear to cover it and not print?

-Glock40Texan
    I don't have that gun or holster, see my signature for what I have. But I'll say this, ordinary clothes cover up a lot more than you think. Remember that you know it's there and are a bit paranoid(normal of course). Unless it's skin tight, you're probably fine. Most won't even notice a very slight outline of the bottom of a grip.

Other than purchasing slightly larger pants, I haven't really bought any different clothes, and I never wore oversize shirts anyway. When I purchase a new shirt, I like to make sure it is long enough so that it won't ride up easily, but other than this, unless it's just pretty darn tight I'm fine.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member
    Ditto what BamaSteve said. Also, remember that darker colors can hide minor printing.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I've concealed a Commander under a t-shirt with minimal printing and I'm not a big guy. Not to mention that when most people see a bulge on someone's waist they think "cell phone". My own father mistook my phone for my gun once. Wear dark colors and you shouldn't have any trouble.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member
    Texas gets hot, that's sure, so it'll be a bit more of a challenge. I also carry Comp-Tac in a shirt tucker. Shirt out, about anything but white, you should be fine. People see what they expect to see more than what they're really looking at (if that made sense). I've got a friend that carries OWB, 5" 1911 with his shirt out....I know it because I do, otherwise I probably never would have noticed. With my shirt tuck model (and the infidel does have that configuration) I've tucked a tshirt around it and gone about my business w/no questions.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    As subjective as your question is, so are the responses you’ll likely receive. Start with your existing wardrobe and look in a mirror and make adjustments as required.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I would suggest that you carry a G22 magazine or two for reload. These give you a little more capacity. Keep your G23 mag in the gun to keep the dimensions down.

Be sure to get a good belt as well. I recommend Wilderness Belts. I think these are the best belts for the money.

As far as cover garments I just wear a shirt untucked. Lots of baggy short sleeve button up shirts and cargo shorts in summer.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    Can't add much more, Most people are to consumed with themselves to worry about what someone else is doing. As long as you don't try to wear something tight it shouldn't be a problem. Dark colors or a shirt with a pattern will work best.

Just to add to what the others said about dark colors: dark colors w/patterns are the best.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Same as everyone else. People carry cell phones, etc.. and they are all too consumed by their own lives.

I forgot who said that if your asked what that bulge is to tell them it's a colostomy bag! That will get them to turn-around and not be so nosy!

-Glock40Texan
    I carry a Glock 19, which is essentially identical to your gun.

I carry in a Don Hume 715M IWB, at about 3:30 (just behind the 3:00 belt loop in my jeans). My typical warm weather work attire is a tucked polo shirt. Ohio is an open carry state, so "printing" has no meaning. Still, the tucked polo shirt conceals gun and holster very well. I just tuck all the way up to the holster, then blouse the portion of the shirt which can't be tucked, over the shirt. In the winter, I often carry completely tucked, with a sweater or sweatshirt over the gun.

If I've been "made" nobody's said so, and even people who know I carry, don't know when I'm carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Be sure to get a good belt as well.
    +1

Few things screw up good concealment quicker than a flimsy, crappy belt.

As others have said, good belt, oversized shirts with patterns. I like the hawaiian style shirts but without the loud patterns.

-Glock40Texan
    If you are going to use a cover garment, forget IWB. Just get a good quality high ride holster - like C. Rust Sherrick US High Ride. I assure you it will be more comfortable and you will not print anymore than IWB. Carry it at 3 o'clock or so and be happy. I personally do not see any reason to use IWB if using a cover shirt. Shove the gun down far enough in your pants with IWB and you look like you have a tumor.

Women have several pairs of shoes, why shouldn't you have several holsters to fit the occasion. I have 4 different ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links