Got Made at Band Rehearsal

This is a discussion on Got Made at Band Rehearsal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I play trombone in a concert band in Portsmouth, Virginia. I usually come to rehearsal in my office clothes, pocket carrying my Kahr MK9. Tonight, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Made at Band Rehearsal

I play trombone in a concert band in Portsmouth, Virginia. I usually come to rehearsal in my office clothes, pocket carrying my Kahr MK9. Tonight, I had a few extra minutes at home so I decided to slip on some cargo pants with an untucked flannel shirt covering my Glock G23 in a leather IWB. I was sitting in my chair setting up my music and trombone stands, but when I stood up to go get my horn from its case, the baritone player seated behind me asked me what kind of gun I carry.

I was somewhat taken aback, but I know he's a Virginia Beach cop and thus knows what to look for, so I answered his question. He said I printed only when I leaned over to pick something up off of the floor. I told him I really didn't mind getting made by a cop because I know my secret is still safe from the rest of the sheep. After rehearsal, he lifted his fleece jacket to show me his G17 in a Blackhawk Serpa next to his badge. Handcuffs were in a jacket pocket.

He cautioned me that if I carry, I need to be ready to use it; he was talking about mental readiness. I assured him I hoped I never would have to, but am ready to use it.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    sounds like it was a good experience. I'm sure that was a bit embarasing at first!
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Very interesting! I would hope that most of our LEOs are:

1) Sharp enough to notice such if someone prints or is obvious

2) Just as polite to a licensed CCW

I carry in an IWB with a Glock 23 myself. But I always have my shirt tucked. I don't think that I print when I bend over. But I have wondered whenever I unload the bottom rack on the grocery cart or I pick up something off the floor.

BTW +1000 on the band! I am a very poor trumpet player myself.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Nice to get some positive feedback
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Once...at Band Camp!
    ...T. Ray

VIP Member
    this one time...at band camp...I was helping move some chairs and I exposed the end of my Glock, but it was ok because they saw my CCW badge and nobody got in trouble it was really cool

sorry, couldn't resist
    former percussionist myself so I can say that, wish I could get a drumset myself and rock out with some guys sometime

originally posted by Horseman04 I would hope that most of our LEOs are:

1) Sharp enough to notice such if someone prints or is obvious

2) Just as polite to a licensed CCW
    1. yep
    2. yep
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sounds like a reasonable LEO, but you gotta' work on that 'concealed is concealed' part...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    sorry, couldn't resist
    I knew someone would go there. Glad I didn't have to. I used to play the trumpet.

It is really nice to hear of positive LEO / CHP holder interaction. I think it is key for each to recognize the importance of the other.

BTW, to whom it may concern, 'CCW' means Concealed Carry Weapon, NOT Concealed Handgun Permit holder! Please stop mixing them up!

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    I play trombone in a concert band in Portsmouth, Virginia. I usually come to rehearsal in my office clothes, pocket carrying my Kahr MK9.

Hope it's just the trombone players that get "made" J/K.
    I play drums in a couple of bands. Haven't been "made" yet, but some of the guys and gals that I play music with have a real suspicion that I do carry. They found out that I was going to get my CCW permit back in Nov. and I had to go to the range with my class the day we were scheduled to play music downtown. When I got to the gig, a few of them jokingly asked me if I was "packing". I just grinned and said nothing, and they didn't ask anymore!!

BTW, I didn't have the permit yet, didn't have a pistol with me and the gig went off with a bang!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sounds like a well protected band.

Good experience you had there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Tidewater Winds?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

In our band we carry BECAUSE of the trombone players!

Just kidding!

My band: www.rhythmsociety.net

Three of us in the swing band carry, all the time at all the gigs. Not even sure that all 15 members know we carry.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

[QUOTE=JoJoGunn;1100169]

They found out that I was going to get my CCW permit back in Nov. and I had to go to the range with my class the day we were scheduled to play music downtown. When I got to the gig, a few of them jokingly asked me if I was "packing". I just grinned and said nothing, and they didn't ask anymore!!

BTW, I didn't have the permit yet, didn't have a pistol with me and the gig went off with a bang!
    Most of the sheep would have forgotten all about it by the time you actually got the permit and started carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Tidewater Winds?
    No, we're the Tidewater Concert Band.

I can't carry when I go to rehearsal with the York River Symphony since our rehearsal space is in a public school. The gun has to stay in the car.

Great to hear positive feedback. Need to work on that concealed part. LoL. I carry around the house right now and work with holster positions in the mirror. With my P22 (only pistol I have) I never print noticeably enough that I think anyone would notice. I think it is a combination of how small the gun is, the excessive arch in my back, and my enormous bum that makes it easy to hide things.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links