Two and a Half Weeks

Two and a Half Weeks

This is a discussion on Two and a Half Weeks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; of choosing to be unarmed. Hordes of mutant ninja zombies have not attacked me. Swarms of commies haven't laid siege to my position. I haven't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Two and a Half Weeks

of choosing to be unarmed. Hordes of mutant ninja zombies have not attacked me. Swarms of commies haven't laid siege to my position. I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Since I began carrying in the winter of 2002, the only times I have left home unarmed is when I went out for a few drinks (okay, MANY drinks!).
    As I became nuttier about guns, and mindful of my own personal safety, I have not really seen the 'forest for the trees', so to speak. I have spent the better part of the last four years contemplating everything from a 'tactical' point of view.

And you know what? Based on what I do, when I do it, the risks are quite minimal. I'm no longer walking to/from work, I don't keep the same late hours, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

No, I am not saying i am a foreteller of the future. I cannot say that nothing bad will happen to me. I am not against carrying, I'm just enjoying NOT carrying, NOT being in that tactical mindset constantly. It hasn't changed my situational awareness, but I don't have to search for appropiate cover or means of escapment every time I walk into a room.

And its not a permanent decision, either. Someday, I'll pick up carrying again, but probably not every day.

Best of luck to you. I'm an EMT, call me when you need me.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Lead Moderator
    Ok, to each their own. sounds like you stress yourself out over CCW ing . While vigilance is great, having the tool to defend yourself ,even caught somewhat unaware seems like a better choice.
    Hopefully your decision will not come back to bite ya. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Ok, to each their own. sounds like you stress yourself out over CCW ing . While vigilance is great, having the tool to defend yourself ,even caught somewhat unaware seems like a better choice.
    Hopefully your decision will not come back to bite ya. Best of luck.
    +1 to that

. I am not against carrying, I'm just enjoying NOT carrying, NOT being in that tactical mindset constantly. It hasn't changed my situational awareness, but I don't have to search for appropiate cover or means of escapment every time I walk into a room.
    To be blunt, if you have to 'search' and it's an effort, you've made the right choice.

It's either something you fall into and do, or you don't.

It's like checking the mirrors on a car I get into to drive - it's simple habit. It doesn't up my blood pressure or even interrupt conversation.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    Almost surprised Spiffy to be honest - thinking you were fairly dedicated. But, seems you have a thought process that satisfies. No sweat dude.

I am a dedicated carrier - but no ''tactical'' anything if truth be known - it is just a solid and permanent part of my everyday life - against the 1:1,000,000 time it might save my bacon or that of my nearest and dearest.

I know statistically any serious downfall is most unlikely - made more so by my area which is pretty safe compared to many. But - since I adopted full time carry three years ago - I sure ain't about to stop

The main thing is for you or any of us really - is that you do what feels best, for you. I don't think anyone has a problem with that - after all, our decisions are for most part entirely personal. But as you suggest you will do - yes, keep that con' yellow anyways - it is what will probably save most of us from anything too bad.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Wow spiffy,

I've known you online for quite a while and that's one of the last things I thought I'd hear out of you.

That's your decision, and I'll respect it. It does seem from your post, however, that you struggle with the tactical mindset, like it doesn't come naturally. I guess for me to not carry, it would be like suddenly deciding that I drive the same route to work every day, I haven't gotten into a car accident in all those years, so I'm going to stop wearing my seatbelt. It's more comfortable without one. And maybe I'll ever get into an accident when I'm not wearing a seatbelt. Maybe.

I hope you'll continue to stay safe and I hope you'll reconsider and carry again. I don't like seeing bad things happen to good people.

Pet your spiders for me.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Whatever you do, do not stop shooting. Keep your training up for when you may need it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    It's either something you fall into and do, or you don't.

It's like checking the mirrors on a car I get into to drive - it's simple habit. It doesn't up my blood pressure or even interrupt conversation.
    Gotta agree. And while this is true, I feel sometimes everyone slips into Cond. White. Maybe just for a bit, but it happens.
    Personally , for me it seems to be natural, even before I had my CCW permit I would be aware of my surroundings. If its a big effort for you, I can understand why you wish to stop carrying.

VIP Member
    It's a personal decision, and I'm not going to give you a hard time about it...I don't carry everyday myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
    It hasn't changed my situational awareness
    The main thing it does is reduce your options if you do become aware of a situation.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Administrator

Question

All Forum Members please be reminded that it's always a highly personal decision to decide to carry a firearm & also a personal decision to decide not to carry one. For whatever reason.

I can't help but to be extremely curious about this because it is such a rare occurrence that a person chooses to carry & then just decides not to carry anymore. I think that's a first for this forum.

The only time that I ever remember a person deciding not to carry anymore or (in fact) to even keep firearms in his house was after he had a Negligent Discharge when his kid was in the same room. That was on 1911Forum (I think)
    He felt so distraught & guilty that he just decided to remain gun less for the rest of his days. I could understand his decision though I privately thought that he made the wrong decision. It was not my decision to make.

That...obviously has not happened in this instance so this is quite unusual.

Usually, the majority of folks comfortably "grow into" carrying a firearm & it becomes part of the everyday routine like putting on a wristwatch & popping the wallet into the pants pocket.
    Their condition alert level does not normally "go up" higher & their stress level is not usually increased...just because that individual has elected to carry a firearm.

So...I'm just trying to understand the exact thought process involved here and (for sure) I am not criticizing his personal decision not to carry.

I've been on vacation before for weeks at a time in locations where carry was impossible to go armed & I arrived back home Safe & Sound & without mishap...so I understand what it's like NOT to carry.
    I always started to carry again as soon as I arrived home though. Force of habit.

I honestly can't imagine going through my normal daily routine without having a firearm on my person.
    I don't think I'm at all more paranoid for the wearing of it But, actually derive quite a bit of "Quiet Comfort" by having it on my person.

This is an interesting thread. Anybody else...chime in please.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

until this last summer, i have not had a vehicle. lived close enough to walk to work or store, and my shooting buddies live within a few stones throws so going to the range has never been a problem, i just tag along with whomevers going shooting.

my walk to/from work/store has always made me uneasy. theres plenty of drug traffic, streetwalkers, muggers, dogs, moose, etc, that necessitated carrying.
    now that i dont walk through that every day, and i do maintian the basic level of situational awareness, i have come to the believe that daily carry is not tantamount.

as betty noted, its a bit out of left field from me. i think i never really stopped and noticed what i was doing, getting all 'tactical'. carrying multiple reloads. carrying two guns at times. figuring out best ways to clip my knife so its easily available. trying to figure out where to carry my spare flashlight so i can reach it easily.

and although i have been witness to plenty of bad situations throughout my life, i did indeed manage to survive 25 years without ever being near a gun.

dont worry though. i still keep the knife and flashlight with me. and like i said, this isnt a permanent decision.

and qkshooter, thats pretty much why i posted this thread (also did one on TFL after my first week of non-carry).
    i think it can lead to a good discussion, and its probably healthy for all to take a look at themselves and express why they carry.

i became a gunowner, while still holding some liberal ideas about guns and crime. the typical hypocrite, who thinks guns are fun but too dangerous for anyone else to own. i didnt even tell my room mate i bought a gun, and i sheepishly brought it up to my landlord, to make sure he didnt object. turns out hes a gun nut and he was happy to have someone around he could take to the range or just talk guns with.

it wasnt until i did the research for myself that i realized the antis were all lying. the numbers were not showing epidemics of gun related deaths, they revealed that gun deaths were decreasing (preaching to choir, i know i know). it was about then that i decided to look into getting a carry permit.

i went from being somewhat-anti, to full bore support of armed citizens. even before i got my permit i found a way to have a gun with me at all times, lawfully (stored unloaded in a carrying case designed to transport a firearm - loophole right in my states law at that time).

since then, as i said earlier, only when i went out for drinks did i leave home unarmed. now that i know what i know, about crime, about guns, about criminals, seeing my little part of the world while unarmed, but still listening to my 'spidey sense', is quite interesting.

i'm a mellow guy. i'm non-confrontational, i dont get into arguments, i dont go around flipping people off, i dont get all riled up with road rage. having a gun only gives a person another option to utilize should things get hairy.

de-escalation is the goal, however. that can still be an option even though i am not strapped with a handgun.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I do advise you keep a cell phone close at hand for that "just in case"...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I say good for you for doing the honest evaluation and deciding what is right for YOU. Do I agree? No. But how many places in the free world can you decide whether or not you want to legally carry a firearm? God Bless America.

I thoroughly enjoy the diverse viewpoints expressed on this forum and several others. But after a while, you can start to second guess yourself. Do I have enough claymore mines in the yard? Should I rotate the 50 BMG ammo buried in the secret cache into my 5k a week practice ammo allotment? How do I keep my primary and 2 BUGs from rusting while I shower with them? It has the potential to be a little overwhelming, especially for folks just getting into CCW.

Keep assessing your needs and desires. I think it is great that you're doing a little soul searching but not giving up on "gun stuff" completely. Stick around and keep us posted on how it's going!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links