Meaning of "printing"

Meaning of "printing"

This is a discussion on Meaning of "printing" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When discussing whether a firearm "prints" is it the intention of the word that ant part of the firearm pushes out the garment or that ...

Thread: Meaning of "printing"

Meaning of "printing"

When discussing whether a firearm "prints" is it the intention of the word that ant part of the firearm pushes out the garment or that the outline of the firearm shows itself?

That is correct.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

I should clarify that. If any part of the firearm pushes out of your clothing but does not make itself obvious as to what it is would that be be printing or does the pistol have to push out against your clothing in a way to make it obvious that the object is in fact a firearm, and not a cell phone, etc., like clearly making the outline of a firearm to be called printing? I do not mean "printing" in the eyes of the law but in the meaning that is normally used on this forum by the members.

I would say that my definition would be that any part of the firearm is pushing against your clothing thus giving you a print outline but does not necessarily make it obvious that you are carrying a firearm. I think for the most part that is how it is used in this forum. Hope this helps.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

If one can see your weapon, or clearly see, via the outline, that it is a gun, you are printing...not good.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If one can see your weapon, or clearly see, via the outline, that it is a gun, you are printing...not good.
    Ok. Because I have been concerned about the butt of my pistol's grip pushing out on my shirt making a small bump, I wear large shirts for comfort anyhow. I try to dismiss it because the bump could be anything. But I also do not want to be dismissive, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    Ok. Because I have been concerned about the butt of my pistol's grip pushing out on my shirt making a small bump, I wear large shirts for comfort anyhow. I try to dismiss it because the bump could be anything. But I also do not want to be dismissive, if that makes sense.
    A bump is not a pistol print...but as someone already said, you can play down the bump with a holster having a 15-20 degree forward cant.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The cant helps but it might not do away with the bump.

I see lots of people with bumps that are obviously guns to me. Ive got a friend who carries concealed at his business but its so obvious that he is carrying its not funny.

I had a guy in today who had a golf shirt on and it was obvious he had a gun on. Obvious to me anyway.

I dont worry about a bump. When they can clearly see the outline of the gun, you're printing.

FWIW, printing is not illegal in SC though you still may have to deal with the MWAG thing.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Thank you for all of the replies. I appreciate the information. The cant of a holster may help me a bit too when I get another IWB.

Printing is not illegal in Arkansas either. . .stupid maybe, but not illegal
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

FWIW, This morning Im standing next to a guy who is obviously printing. Everyone here knows he has a gun on. I even know its a Taurus 24/7 in .45

LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

To me "printing" is any bulge casued by the gun that could draw unwated attention to me and or my gun.

It doesn't have to be the gun. Could be spare mags, whatever.

This is from the Texas handgun statutes.

(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of
    which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

This tells me that if the average lady in the grocery line behind you sees a bulge it is not printing, if she can see that it is obviously a gun because of the outline it is printing. If it is a CCL person that sees a bulge and feels that it is a gun it would not be an ordinary person that sees the bulge, therefor not an issue.

Paul
    Last edited by PBK 380; April 10th, 2009 at 07:33 PM.

I wouldn't worry about a bump under your shirt.

In the past most everyone would recognize it as a gun, but today it would more probably be construed as a cell phone!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

VIP Member
    "Printing" means that a visible outline under your clothing is discernible as a gun.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links