Florida carry in vehicle at work at a school

This is a discussion on Florida carry in vehicle at work at a school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello: Just wondered if anyone here lives in Florida and knows the specific law regarding the following. I am aware that we are legally able ...

Thread: Florida carry in vehicle at work at a school

Florida carry in vehicle at work at a school

Hello:

Just wondered if anyone here lives in Florida and knows the specific law regarding the following.

I am aware that we are legally able to have a firearm in our employer's parking lot. However, the law in Florida has exceptions, one of which is if your employer is a school. However I wonder if this situation falls under that category.

Can I have my gun in my car at my workplace - which is a vocational/technical school - if the school is in a strip mall and they lease the space. Since the school does not own the mall and the mall has plenty of other businesses, does that mean that no one can park in that strip mall parking lot with a firearm in their car, just because there is a school there?

The law seems to be vague so I am not sure.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    This is tricky, I would contact the AG to clarify this one. I would think since it is a public parking lot it would be OK, but I would ask the AG.

In the parking lot of a strip mall where a school leases one of the spaces for a school program?

Your gun can be in the car...based on what you are saying.

The school rents the office space but not the parking lot.
    Now on the school grounds that would be a no-no.

It would be like me driving to school (I work in a school) and instead of parking on the school lot, moving a ways away into a lot not owned by the school, but very close...I'd be good to go. In fact, to the citizen's eye, the lot may even look like it could be part of the school, but it's not...still not a problem.

Or...going to the senior prom as a school rep...
    I can't take something into the prom as the school has rented the 'inside' space for the night, but not the lot. The lot is part of a public hotel. My sidearm locked in the car safe would be no problem.
    This is exactly like your situation...you're safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One further question. What if the school specifically states in their employee handbook that no firearms are allowed, and that they reserve the right to search vehicles for firearms? Do they have the right to do that?

ok so no firearms on college grounds even if in vehicle locked up?

Quote Originally Posted by ginzotech View Post
    One further question. What if the school specifically states in their employee handbook that no firearms are allowed, and that they reserve the right to search vehicles for firearms? Do they have the right to do that?
    School property...
    Well, the employer can pretty much do that on THEIR property then...but not in a public lot. Your refusal to let them search on school property could cost you your employment.

Private/Public property...
    It's not even a question I'd have to answer if asked. Public property is public property...the school district has NO AUTHORITY to search a vehicle on public property.

I find it interesting that the school would even be interested in searching your vehicle...who did you make angry?
    Unless you were doing a lot of talking, making threats, etc., why would you even come into focus?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Can I have my gun in my car at my workplace - which is a vocational/technical school - if the school is in a strip mall and they lease the space. Since the school does not own the mall and the mall has plenty of other businesses, does that mean that no one can park in that strip mall parking lot with a firearm in their car, just because there is a school there?
    790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.--

For the purposes of this section, "school" means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.--

For the purposes of this section, "school" means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.
    This does NOT cover the public parking lot...just the public or nonpublic school or building rented/leased for such purposes.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The school is part of a strip mall, and that mall has several businesses. As an employees, we park in the mall parking lot. Yes we all park in the part of the parking lot that is next to the school, but the school does not own the building or land, and we are parking in the mall parking lot. So that is why I ask. It seems to be a gray area in the law. Thanks for your help.

The school is part of a strip mall, and that mall has several businesses. As an employees, we park in the mall parking lot. Yes we all park in the part of the parking lot that is next to the school, but the school does not own the building or land, and we are parking in the mall parking lot. So that is why I ask. It seems to be a gray area in the law. Thanks for your help.
    No gray area here...it's a black and white issue. This issue has been thoroughly discussed on this forum. One cannot make up the rules for school ownership...either they own, rent, or lease the area that they use and are responsible for...or they don't.
    Public lot...public rules.

Stay armed...keep it in the car safely...stay safe!

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    A college is not a "school" by definition of the statute and is not part of a school district, so keeping it in your car should be OK. If your tech center is part of a school district, check their rules, it is illegal in your car unless they say so.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

mkh
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;

2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
    790.25 (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    There's the law. Interpret it as you will.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Good post mkh, but just so nobody is confused let's not forget that carrying and possessing are two different things. On school grounds both are generally illegal. On college grounds, carrying is nono, possession in vehicle is OK.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    Review the court decision on the Parking Lot law. There was a section about parking in private owned lots that was reversed. Don't ask me right now what it was, but it had to do wit imposing an uneven burden or something like that. I am trying to find it, but my brain is not firing all cylinders today
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Good post mkh, but just so nobody is confused let's not forget that carrying and possessing are two different things. On school grounds both are generally illegal. On college grounds, carrying is nono, possession in vehicle is OK.
    True.

I sometimes drop my daughter of at school and I lock the weapon in the glove box before I leave home. I drive through parent drop off and then head home.

Links