Florida law concerning vehicles and schools

This is a discussion on Florida law concerning vehicles and schools within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello: Just wondered if anyone here lives in Florida and knows the specific law regarding the following. I am aware that we are legally able ...

Thread: Florida law concerning vehicles and schools

Florida law concerning vehicles and schools

Hello:

Just wondered if anyone here lives in Florida and knows the specific law regarding the following.

I am aware that we are legally able to have a firearm in our employer's parking lot. However, the law in Florida has exceptions, one of which is if your employer is a school. However I wonder if this situation falls under that category.

Can I have my gun in my car at my workplace - which is a vocational/technical school - if the school is in a strip mall and they lease the space. Since the school does not own the mall and the mall has plenty of other businesses, does that mean that no one can park in that strip mall parking lot with a firearm in their car, just because there is a school there?

The law seems to be vague so I am not sure.

2. Remove Ads

i was wondering the same can i keep my handgun or any gun in my truck on the college campus if its put away and not visible

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ok so no firearms on college grounds even if in vehicle locked up?

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    ok so no firearms on college grounds even if in vehicle locked up?
    When my wife and I go to night activities at the local university and it's a long walk from the lot to the buildings and back...it's illegal to have a weapon locked in your trunk in a CoM safe that is well hidden...that is correct!

So be sure that you are unarmed both to and from the university...it's the law.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    A college is not a "school" by definition of the statute and is not part of a school district, so keeping it in your car should be OK. If your tech center is part of a school district, check their rules, it is illegal in your car unless they say so.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    A college is not a "school" by definition of the statute and is not part of a school district, so keeping it in your car should be OK. If your tech center is part of a school district, check their rules, it is legal in your car unless they say so.
    "should be OK"? Is there a reference to this to make the "should" become "is"?

Rick

mkh
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;

2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
    For the purposes of this section, "school" means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.
    790.25 (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    There's the law. Interpret it as you will.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    "should be OK"? Is there a reference to this to make the "should" become "is"?

Rick
    I'm not a lawyer and I didn't write the law, but by how I see it and Attorney Jon Gutmacher's book sees it, it is legal, so I keep my guns in my car at college. Get Jon Gutmacher's book: Florida Firearms. Also, read FL Statutes chapter 790 (specifically 790.115 and 790.06 IIRC).

Now I also have education taking place on the same grounds of a vocational school, under a school district, and they have a no firearm or weapon policy, so I have to leave the guns at home. However a non-weapon pocketknife is technically allowed (but a razorblade isn't).

Good post mkh, but just so nobody is confused let's not forget that carrying and possessing are two different things. On school grounds both are generally illegal. On college grounds, carrying is nono, possession in vehicle is OK.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Links