Conceal Carry without a Holster - Page 3

Conceal Carry without a Holster

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry without a Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BCop Hi folks, I'm new to concealed carry (my permit is in progress) and I have a question on how to carry. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conceal Carry without a Holster

Quote Originally Posted by BCop View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm new to concealed carry (my permit is in progress) and I have a question on how to carry. (by the way I searched the archives and didn't see this asked before)

I wear gym shorts and a t-shirt 6 days per week, my job is a self-defense and fitness instructor so I'm never wearing anything that would allow me to wear a belt for a holster.

I have been just tucking my XD sub-compact into my short's waistline around the house and it feels great, conceals great and seems like it would only fall out if I did some very athletic motions.

Would it be a bad idea to just tuck it into my shorts (4 o'clock) on the way to my gym (I own the gym) and when I leave on the way to my car? It will be in my desk drawer while I train my clients.

Anyone else do this?

Are there any holsters that can clip onto a waistband instead of requiring a belt to attach to?

I really do not want to go the fanny pack route.

Thanks everyone,
    Brian
    The only safe manner to carry a defensive handgun is to use a good holster that covers the trigger completely.

To do otherwise is inviting an AD and injury.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    I NEVER carry without a holster, even when I pocket carry my J-Frame it has a holster.
    My thinking is "why do anything that will increase your chances of a mishap"?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by flaboatbum View Post
    I second the Smart Carry option and for a belly band type...check this one out.
    Defender Gun Concealment Holsters
    I second thre defender belly band wearing one right now tshirt and sweats works great you can also wear it high or low and it works great.I slide it up sometime and it works great just in front of the armpit and only drawback is the cross draw.

I would also suggest the Smart Carry. In your situation, if all you want is a simple way to carry the gun while commuting, all you have to do is fasten it around your waist, pull your shirt over it to conceal it and go. You don't even have to wear the holster the way it was intended (inside your pants).

That's what I sometimes do when hanging around the house in gym shorts and have to briefly step outside. I strap it on and off I go take the dogs out or go get something from my car, check the mailbox, etc.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Ask Plaxico Burress how well carrying in his waistband worked.

It only cost him $68,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    Ask Plaxico Burress how well carrying in his waistband worked.
    Glad someone mentioned that!

Give some serious thought to more substantial shorts that you wear with a belt. You said you wear 'gym shorts' and my interpretation is no belt, just an elastic waistband or possibly a drawstring, like sweatpants. There are a lot of shorts offered for active outdoor sports (e.g., rock climbing, heavy-duty hiking) which have pockets and belt loops, yet they're short and the fabrics and cut give the wearer a great range of motion and comfort. I would check out the offerings at REI or similar hard-core sporting goods purveyor (i.e., skip Sports Authority and similar); one example is 5.11 Tactical's "Academy Shorts." A belt will give you a proper foundation for supporting a holster. A simple clip-on IWB or a paddle holster will provide easy-on, easy-off utility.

If you are serious and have made the decision to carry a sidearm for defense of yourself and your loved ones, you have to adapt elements of your lifestyle to fit that decision. Adjusting the wardrobe is one of those adaptations most of us have to accept.

I have tried the clipdraw with my snubnose. I liked it. But I didn't like the fact that I had to take my gun off when I go to the restroom. I might forget to put it back.

I carry pocket holster now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links