Conceal Carry without a Holster

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry without a Holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, I'm new to concealed carry (my permit is in progress) and I have a question on how to carry. (by the way I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry without a Holster

Hi folks,

I'm new to concealed carry (my permit is in progress) and I have a question on how to carry. (by the way I searched the archives and didn't see this asked before)

I wear gym shorts and a t-shirt 6 days per week, my job is a self-defense and fitness instructor so I'm never wearing anything that would allow me to wear a belt for a holster.

I have been just tucking my XD sub-compact into my short's waistline around the house and it feels great, conceals great and seems like it would only fall out if I did some very athletic motions.

Would it be a bad idea to just tuck it into my shorts (4 o'clock) on the way to my gym (I own the gym) and when I leave on the way to my car? It will be in my desk drawer while I train my clients.

Anyone else do this?

Are there any holsters that can clip onto a waistband instead of requiring a belt to attach to?

I really do not want to go the fanny pack route.

Thanks everyone,
    Brian

VIP Member
    It has been discussed a couple times. It is generally referred to as "Mexican Carry", you can try searching for that.

The consensus is that it's a bad idea. The gun is just not secured enough that way. Check on various Inside the Waist Band holsters that use clips (I use High Noon's Hidden Ally or Split Decision and am happy with them). They can clip to the waistband without a belt if needed.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Please note--I have never used this type of product!

Something like this might be an answer:

Order Clipdraw - Universal Clipdraw Fits All Handguns

Some comments:

Clip Draw [Archive] - THR

Clipdraw - anybody tried these? [Archive] - TheFiringLine Forums

Google "Clip Draw" for a lot of companies that sell them.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I'll throw in a recommendation for the smart carry. I referee soccer and it works great for carrying before/after. I carry the M&P 45 in it and it conceals nicely while wearing the soccer shorts and I usually just leave it on empty while actually doing a game, altho if you had an office it wouldn't be a big deal to put on/take off while in gym type clothes.

Any questions about it ask, lots of people on this forum have one.
    A dozen means twelve, learn to count bakers! - Stephen Colbert

Colt 1991A1 and S&W M&P 45 Compact

I unfortunately can not speak from experience (under 21, can't carry yet). However having handled firearms and lived with carriers, I would say it is probably not a good idea.

1. Trigger is exposed. While you may think that having it under your waist band is a relatively safe place, (meaning the trigger wouldn't be actuated) having a possibility just does not seem like a good idea to me. All it takes is a drawstring or other object to get tangled up and put the right force on the trigger. Unlikely, yes maybe, but it just doesn't seem very wise.

2. Gun is not secured in place. It would not be very good if you suddenly gave birth to a firearm. Concealment is a necessity and either having it fall out of your waistband or you repositioning (after it tries to wiggle its way out) does not suffice.

As for a solution, several people I know use an Uncle Mikes "Inside the Pant" holster. http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/..._holsters.html . You could clip it on while you travel, then easily take it off and put it in your desk. No belt needed on the clip. It conceals easy even with just a T-shirt and gym shorts.

Try a ClipDraw as mentioned above. I really like it, very comfortable and very concealable. The High noon Split Decision doesn't require a belt either. You might want a belt anyway because the weight of your weapon will pull your shorts down unless you have a tiny gun like a Ruger LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspaul View Post
    2. Gun is not secured in place. It would not be very good if you suddenly gave birth to a firearm.
    Ha ha, "giving birth to a firearm" wouldn't make me very popular at the grocery store I don't imagine.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it looks like there may indeed be some good options out there for me.

Brian

Clips work. There are a variety of other products you should look at, too. One is called SmartCarry, which is basically a pouch that goes near your groin and serves as a holster. Another option would be a belly band, which is exactly what it sounds like. You could use a concealed carry shirt, which has a few elastic straps near the armpits so that it works like a shoulder holster. Depending on what sorts of shirts you wear that could work well.

I personally don't like the belt clip option because it doesn't cover up the trigger. If you must do that, look at the clipdraw brand trigger safety. It's a gadget that fits behind the trigger and is popped out manually with a slight push from the side, when you draw. That way, if something gets in the trigger guard it won't set the gun off. For example, the drawstring from your workout shorts could conceivably do it. Not likely, but I wouldn't want to depend on luck.

Conceal Carry without a Holster Reply to Thread

I carried this way for about a week until I had time to look for a IWB holster. For the time being I'm just using a nylon IWB holster. The only draw back is when I have to unholster to go into place I can't carry it's hard to get it back in because it's not held open.

In GA its illegal to conceal unless your using a holster or hipgrip etc(unless your an exempt individual) first time without a holster is misd second time without a holster is a felony

theres a bill in the states house to try to change that
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCop View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm new to concealed carry (my permit is in progress) and I have a question on how to carry. (by the way I searched the archives and didn't see this asked before)

I wear gym shorts and a t-shirt 6 days per week, my job is a self-defense and fitness instructor so I'm never wearing anything that would allow me to wear a belt for a holster.

I have been just tucking my XD sub-compact into my short's waistline around the house and it feels great, conceals great and seems like it would only fall out if I did some very athletic motions.

Would it be a bad idea to just tuck it into my shorts (4 o'clock) on the way to my gym (I own the gym) and when I leave on the way to my car? It will be in my desk drawer while I train my clients.

Anyone else do this?

Are there any holsters that can clip onto a waistband instead of requiring a belt to attach to?

I really do not want to go the fanny pack route.

Thanks everyone,
    Brian
    I can tell you that I have an XD subcompact. I carry concealed with this pistol and with a Crimson Trace laser. I prefer a good locking OSB paddle holster. Mine is Fobus. There are some universal ISB holsters that may meet your needs.

As many may have told you, you might just need to adapt to other wearing apparel.

Inside or out, get a proper holster. is is not safe for you to not to do otherwise.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I would throw out there that it is REALLY a bad idea to carry without a holster. As it has been quoted before carrying a sidearm is supposed to be comforting not comfortable. (Attributed to Clint Smith I think)

There are a number of options for you out there the first and most obvious being a fanny pack. I emphasize obvious.

I include the Maxpedition Versipak in my definition of fanny pack. it just looks "tactical."

The SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters holster has also been mentioned and I personally think it is a great option if you don't wear a belt.

I would also like to show you the Kramer Undershirt
    it could be an option for you but you probably are going to find you just spent $60 on a t-shirt and you either love it or hate it.

Good luck in your hunt, 1/2 the fun of being a (responsible) firearms owner is that you enjoy buying all the cool stuff that goes with it.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Carry without a holster is an accident looking for a place to happen.
    Your sidearm should always be in 'something', even a gun rug is OK.
    I would suggest a very thin leather pouch (not necessarily a fanny pack)...my wife uses one we found in a leather shop and one could easily wear it while being very active. You would have to search the leather shops to find a good fit.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't follow Plaxico Burress' example and tuck a gun into a drawstring waisted pant. When it gets away, it slides down one leg, and leaves you groping blindly at a loaded firearm. The result? Pulling the trigger through the fabric.

When I wear drawstring waisted pants, I put on a leather belt with my favorite holster first, then the pants over them. That way, the gun is properly controlled in a holster and the drawstring isn't supporting the weight of the gun. The downside is you could have some rough textures against your skin, so an undershirt might be required, so you could end up overdressed for working out at the gym.

I might also suggest that it is time for you to change your wardrobe. Almost all of us dress differently today than we did before we started carrying. I used to always wear my shirts tucked in; now you're likely to see me wearing larger sized shirts untucked to cover the gun. You might throw away the drawstring gym shorts and sweatpants and substitute belted hiking shorts/cargo shorts with an untucked polo or tee shirt and an inside the waistband holster or a small gun in a pocket holster.

If you want to carry to and from your business and not change the wardrobe, a fanny pack is probably the best for easy on and easy off, and the whole package can be locked into a deskdrawer while you're at work.

Easiest thing to do is get a fanny pouch. I found a leather one that says Nikon on it, and put my G26 in it along with a point and shoot camera, when we go out on the boat. Instead of warring it, I just drape the strap over my shoulder. You could do the same and just place the whole rig inside your desk drawer at office, when you get there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links