Color of a Gun

This is a discussion on Color of a Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of the guns I've seen are what I would term traditional colors - nickel, blued, od green, or similar. I have seen some that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color of a Gun

Most of the guns I've seen are what I would term traditional colors - nickel, blued, od green, or similar. I have seen some that have been some different colors. A couple of examples can be seen here: http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/sample.htm .

What brought about this news story, in part, was a recent shooting of a kid in the Orlando area by an LEO. The person had an all black toy gun that looked like a Beretta, if I remember correctly. Local law enforcement brought up the point that toy guns are supposed to be identified with the orange barrel tip. But there's nothing preventing someone from painting that black. The local news report even eluded to the possibility of it eventually becoming illegal to have a "non-traditional colored gun."

I believe people should be allowed to make their guns whatever color they choose. If they choose to point that gun at another person, then clearly it warrants an appropriate response. I would think in most instances it would be difficult, at best, to determine if the gun was genuine or a toy.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Whatever color gun you want is your business. I do agree that real guns painted "different" colors can look like toys, and then there's plenty of airsofts that look like the real thing. It doesn't help cops any.

My favorite squirt gun looked just like a sawed-off, pistol gripped pump shotgun. It gave good blasts of water and would soak my brother from head to toe, and probably would've scared the pants off a stranger if it wasn't obvious water was leaking out the end. Kids who are playing with toy guns should be kept in a private location, inside the home or back yard away from prying, frightened eyes. Unfortunately in this day and age, kids need to be taught that they need to be careful with what they do with even the most seeminly innocent-looking toy gun.

I don't feel sorry for the idiot who tries to threaten someone with a fake gun and gets kiled with a real one.

I've always liked the Taurus spectrum blue.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

K-Man,
    Those colors don't look too bad. (I don't know about the purple though.) The O.D. green looks nice. I like the Camo patterns.

As far as pointing toys is concerned:
    I had one heck of a time tying to get it across to my kids, how & why you don’t ever point a toy gun at a person. Then I made the final instructional, I took them out and trained them to shoot REAL guns.
    After seeing the result of pointing & shooting, they don’t “play” with toy guns anymore. They don’t point them for sure. Now they play with "Light sabers". (It just gave me the shivers when I saw one of my kids point a toy gun at someone. Even those ugly exaggerated bulging bright colored water toys make me uneasy.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

My G23 is a rather evil-looking black.

This suits me just fine.

As for laws color-coding the world, it'd be just one more case of a law followed by the law-abiding, and ignored by the criminal.

Much a-do about nothing. . . Signifying nothing. . . So to speak.
    (Forgive me for the paraphrase. But I offer no apology! )

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I figure folks have a right to do what they want with their constitutionally protected property.
    My thoughts exactly. I will grant you that they are ugly as sin and I could see Bruce with his Colt Commander in Lavender and puke my guts out, but it is his property, period.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    I remember SA offered some 1911' s in some hideous day glo orange, green and other off colors for competition guns. I almost bought a Kimber with blue paint spatter finish over a black frame, but they didn't offer it with a ambi safety.
    As far as banning certian gun colors, why bother? Just another dig at an outright ban on guns.

Hell, my Sig Mosquito in OD looks like a toy. It's army man green.

I'd love one in even more bright and ostentatious colors just because - and because the girls in my 4H program here would love it.

That's what people seem to forget here...not everyone on earth is a traditional male gun owner or user. If they had things that appealed to them available, it might not look as scary, meaning that they might be more prone to learn to shoot and enjoy shooting recreationally.

And everyone who learns to do that is someone else in our corner who realizes that merely holding a gun doesn't turn you into a vicious monster.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I know a guys Glock g20 that is in full camo. I'm talkin' hunters camo with leaves, twigs n'such. Everything done up except the serial number strap on the bottom. If he dropped it in a particular setting and walk away 20 feet, then turn around to get his gun where he thought he dropped it... I'll give him a $20 dollar bill if he can find it. Its that good. in satin, gloss, or matte finish...

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    I know a guys Glock g20 that is in full camo. I'm talkin' hunters camo with leaves, twigs n'such. Everything done up except the serial number strap on the bottom. If he dropped it in a particular setting and walk away 20 feet, then turn around to get his gun where he thought he dropped it... I'll give him a $20 dollar bill if he can find it. Its that good. in satin, gloss, or matte finish...

There was a sig like that at the last gun show i wouldnt lay odds on finding it either if dropped

Ah, well, the reason my wife owns a Walther p-22 and not the Ruger is because the two tone colors made it "look pretty".
    she wants a revolver now. I gotta find a pretty one.
    "Sir, can I get this in purple with rose highlights?"
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter
    I gotta find a pretty one.
    "Sir, can I get this in purple with rose highlights?"
    LOL.... and yes you can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links