Color of a Gun

This is a discussion on Color of a Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There was a report on the local NBC affiliate this evening about the color coating of guns. They reported that the local law enforcement is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color of a Gun

Color of a Gun

There was a report on the local NBC affiliate this evening about the color coating of guns. They reported that the local law enforcement is against color coating a gun any color but gray or black, otherwise it looks like a toy gun. I can see their point to a certain extent. On the other hand, if someone points what looks like a gun at me, I would shoot, no matter the color. I find it hard to believe that a jury would find an officer guilty of some negligent crime because of that reason alone. Apparently the "Brady bunch" is advocating to law enforcement that they should put pressure on the companies who do the color coating to stop it.

There are so many toy guns out there that look like the real thing, why would color make a difference? Heck, I have black Ring's guns. If I was an officer and someone was pointing one of those at me, I would think it was the real thing. Perhaps where an officer might "struggle" is if a gun was colored in either the shade of red or blue that's used by ASP and Ring's. I think that would quickly be associated with "training". But if the gun had a black circle/dot at the tip of the barrel, I would probably associate it with the potential of being a real gun, but I think the first thought would be "that's not a real gun."

Your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

I've Seen Them

In Bright Red & Powder Blue & Light Purple.
    I could see how they could get taken for toy guns.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Depending on the situation, you have to react to the threat as you percieve it. If you percieve the bright pink "gun" to be just that, you have to react to that assesment. I saw a pink coated slide on an XD and it sorta looked like a toy. Obviously that would be a mistake to believe that pink XD was only a toy if it were being pointed at you!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

they do look like toys thats why i dont have one

My thought is that any gun that is not either silver or blued is glarish and just plain ugly, I know someone powder coated a gun for their daughter but other than unique it is ugh. On the other hand I would defend the right of someone to want a and own a ugly gun just as there are those who want and have ugly cars.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I figure folks have a right to do what they want with their constitutionally protected property.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I agree everyone should have what they want i just dont want one you want baby poo greeen more power to ya

Here's what gets me, the anti's like to refer to guns as "scary" mainly because they are black. Now, they don't want you making them "less scary" by getting them colored.

But, I agree with rfurtkamp, it's their property, let them do with it what they want.

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    I certainly have no problem with folks choosing any darned color they wish - tho I am a stick-in-mud traditionalist for most part!

As for mandating color for anyone - ''in case it looks like a toy'' - well excuse me but, if I have a ''gun'' pointed at me even if quite close, I hardly expect to be making a split second analysis as to its authenticity!

Sad to say - it is up to irswhile wannabee crooks to make the (sensible) decision that no one but no one points anything, at an LE in particular, or for that matter any gun-like object at a citizen. The potential for response is so great they should have enough sense to not do it.

Let's say a perp sprays his gun orange - hoping to have it seen as a toy - so he doesn't get shot. Sorry he would still be threatening IMO. Kid with look-alike BB - same problem - whatever color. It is still down to perceived threat - it's that simple, for me.

So - anyone wanting to ''play games'' out there in the real world - accept the potential for consequences. Be sensible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I dunno bout you guys, but if I'm about to be lookin at the business end of what ever type/color the gun is, I'm gonna react first, and then let the guy with the colored gun take my actions as que to put it down.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man
    There was a report on the local NBC affiliate this evening about the color coating of guns..... Apparently the "Brady bunch" is advocating to law enforcement that they should put pressure on the companies who do the color coating to stop it.
    Of course the Brady Bunch is opposed. Now, in addition to worrying about evil black rifles, they'll have to worry about evil green rifles, evil purple rifles, evil orange rifles, etc.

IIRC, most firearm crimes are committed in low light conditions. That being the case, it doesn't matter what color it is if it is shaped like a gun.

Some people have too much time, and money, on their hands...

SSKC

If I want a blue slide or a pink rifle that's my own damn business and anybody who tells me anything differently needs to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean

If I want a blue slide or a pink rifle that's my own damn business and anybody who tells me anything differently needs to stick it where the sun don't shine.

So Uhh Euc you gonna put pink stocks on your AR?

Well Geeze, it wasn't that long ago (in my memory) that toy guns were to be given an orange tip so they would not be mistaken for something “real”. (Not that it really works.)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember something around 10 years ago, about an LEO shooting a child who was playing in the wrong place at the wrong time with a toy gun. After that, Toys were to be colored bright colors so as to not be mistaken for a real gun.

Help me here, NOW someone is coloring real guns to be like TOYS?
    Am I understanding this right?

I’m kinda partial to my grey/blued guns anyhow. (Not toy blue.)
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I always thought a smart criminal would just dip the tip of his real gun in some orange paint and say it was an airsoft if anyone got curious. Unfortunately people do the air soft guns all the time on campus and the authorities say nothing. Just waiting for some SOB to use a orange tip gun to preform a massacre. Fortunately if you point a gun real or not police will still shoot you. Only a moron or a suicide victim would point anything that looked like a gun at an LEO.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links