Quick air travel question...

This is a discussion on Quick air travel question... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel by air very infrequently, and was hoping more experienced travelers with guns could help me out with a quick question. I'm traveling from ...

Thread: Quick air travel question...

Quick air travel question...

I travel by air very infrequently, and was hoping more experienced travelers with guns could help me out with a quick question.

I'm traveling from WA, and have a connecting flight in CA. The only time I'll even be in CA is in the airport for an hour or so - and my bags will be checked in to my final destination (not CA).

Do I need to be concerned about any gun law issues while in CA for one hour, drinking coffee in the airport without my bags? I know the rules regarding air travel with guns (and will obviously be abiding by them).

I guess my main concern is the 15-round magazine. Am I breaking the law because I'm traveling through CA, by air - just by having the unloaded mag locked up in my checked bags?

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    In your trip from point A to B, all destinations in between are legal for you to posses as long as it is legal to possess in both A and B. Obviously to get it onto the plane, you'll already meet the unloaded and inaccessible criteria. If you get put up in a hotel for a canceled flight do not take possession of your checked luggage.

ETA: I am not a Lawyer, but I do travel quite a bit (see my frequently changing avatar).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

You're good to go...enjoy the trip.

Stay armed...at both ends of the trip...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks, matiki & retsupt99.

I fly out of SeaTac several times a year to other states. TSA there has always been easy to deal with, as have the airlines.

Give yourself a little extra time for the TSA bag check, however, because you will be sent to another area. They seem to do a lot of TSA training in Seattle, and this can consume an extra 10 minutes of your time. Every time it seems to be a bit different in SeaTac -- once they just x-rayed the bag, usually they have me open it, once they swabbed everything including my hands for explosive residue.

The only time I have ever had an issue traveling with a firearm is when I arrived too close to departure time. They assured me that all was OK, but the bag didn't make it on the same flight. Talk about a nervous experience . . . I'm at my destination, and my 1911 is somewhere between SeaTac and there, and they can't tell me exactly where it is. "We think it will be on the next flight. If it doesn't show up, let us know." (I did finally get it, but now I don't fly with my favorite 1911.)

There's been a lot of threads about how to pack your gun and ammo -- let me just put in my vote for the COM safe.

CPL

Links