The Official "Restroom Thread" - Page 12

The Official "Restroom Thread"

This is a discussion on The Official "Restroom Thread" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only recently been convinced that EDC is for me, and I have an embarrassing newbie question. Is there a 'trick' to using public restrooms? ...

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: The Official "Restroom Thread"

Embarrassing Question... that I just have to ask.

I've only recently been convinced that EDC is for me, and I have an embarrassing newbie question.

Is there a 'trick' to using public restrooms?

Today I was in my office restroom needing to drop trou, with a gentleman in the stall to my right...

I ended up pulling my pistol and IWB holster completely out and holding it while doing my business.

There's gotta be a better way... and I'm open for suggestions.
    Hobo_Hunter likes this.

Use the handicapped stall or the diaper changing station. No trick. You CC and it's a ball and chain. Marriage ring a bell? You'll find a way or you'll do without. My apologies if this seems too straightforward. A better way? If there is you'll need to find it just like everyone else who carries 24/7. You have my best wishes in everything you do.
    bigmacque likes this.

Depends on various things... such as what type of holster you use, what weapon you have, type of clothing, etc.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I carry IWB also and when I have to use a public restroom my holster stays right where it is and the gun stays in the holster. The best thing you can do to avoid any sort of incident (drop or discharge) is to leave your gun and gear alone provided you have a quality holster that provides the proper retention. Don't make it any harder than it needs to be.
    bigmacque and oneshot like this.

Practice practice practice! All I can recommend is maybe unload it and try different things at home, keeping in mind how the stalls are designed to figure out what the best results are. Maybe flip the underwear elastic over the pistol grip, keeping the belt line of your pants above the knees which will keep the firearm a little bit covered and not allowing the pants to drop to the floor from the weight of the firearm.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Two warning shots followed by a courtesy flush.

The first clears em out and the second lets em come back in.
    bigmacque and pscipio03 like this.

there have been very publicized incidents of gun carriers removing their gun while taking care of business and leaving their weapon behind when they left. i also heard of a man whose gun fell out of his holster while he was lowering his pants, and his gun slid a few stalls away. relieving yourself in a public restroom while carrying concealed is a situation fraught with embarrassing possibilities, and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    there have been very publicized incidents of gun carriers removing their gun while taking care of business and leaving their weapon behind when they left. i also heard of a man whose gun fell out of his holster while he was lowering his pants, and his gun slid a few stalls away. relieving yourself in a public restroom while carrying concealed is a situation fraught with embarrassing possibilities, and worse.
    Those of us responsible enough need to distance ourselves from that stupid stuff....yet the team effort still looms overhead. Can't exactly call your neighbor a dipweed from the get go........ Sad state of affairs, and welcome to the world of irresponsibility. Welcome it with open arms. Status quo.

IWB ... I undo my pants.. ... with both hands (one each side) lower my pants... one hand is in control of the gun side of the pants and controlling / holding the gun in the holster ... as I lower them. I stop them just below my knees as I'm sitting down. Guns easily accessible, sitting properly (won't fall out), and anyone who could see the gun.... would need their face kicked in with my boot.

Works fine, but I avoid public restrooms for all types of reasons if I can at all. LMAO.

Our Police Dept has left a few in public restrooms...... laying it on the counter when washing their hands. There was a big joke going around about ... "it's nice to know they are washing their hands".... and posting notes on mirrors or exit doors ... "Be sure to have your GUN ... before you leave".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Once you drop trou you can re-hook your belt below your knees to keep the pistol upright and close to your legs. Keep in mind what can actually be seen from the next stall when you figure out the angles and you'll be a lot more comfortable.
    64zebra likes this.

Unhook your IWB, drop the trousers, do the deed and wipe accordingly
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

VIP Member
    Where there's a need, you find a way. That being said, do a forum search, this has been discussed numerous time.

It might be a subject mod's want to consider stickying, since it's brought up so often.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I pull pants and underwear down together with the underwear flipped ober the gun to both conceal it and keep it from flopping away from my leg. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Adjust your fiber intake so you only go at home

VIP Member
    Initiate the secret knock, then pass your gun under the stall to the next guy and let him hold it for you, and you do the same for him.

Seriously, I think I read a thread once where a guy dropped his gun in the stall and it slid in the next stall, where the guy there used his foot to slide the gun back to his neighbor.

To the OP, the question and concern you pose is legitimate, though it gets asked and addressed a lot. I pocket carry a lot, so I'm not much help. I have read that it is easy to drop, and easy to forget. I've read that some guys use their pulled-down drawers as a cradle to rest the gun in during business. I can't believe I'm typing an issue about mens underwear at 6:23 am.

Good luck on finding what works best for you. Why don't you try some ideas at home before you juggle your ccw in public?
    64zebra likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sponsored Links