Defensive Carry banner

The Official "Restroom Thread"

191K views 498 replies 352 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
I thought of this the other day as I was at a restaurant using the urinal. It's a really bad situation as your back is turned away from the door, or what's behind you, not bragging hear, but your hands are taking care of business, and you're in a really precarious position with "it" hanging out. After analyzing this situations, I've started using stalls w/doors, locking them, and staying observant to anyone in the restroom or coming in.

#38 ·
Well I always try to use the stall... If im not so lucky I try to get the urin hole closest to the stall so I only have to watch one side. When using the urin hole my sc xd is in my right hand against my right leg holding up my pants or shorts while my left hand is against the wall. Been using this technique for about 2 years now never had any problems.

#39 ·
Just pee in the sink and use the mirror to watch your six.

Seriously, I've always used a stall.

If thinking about how vulnerable you are while using a urinal keeps you up at night, don't even start to think about elevators.

Oops. Now I've done it. Good luck getting any sleep tonight.

Joe

#41 ·
I have been in several situations in public restrooms that made me uncomfortable at the least and a little scared at the most with one being threatened while in a stall. Now that I carry I have noticed it kind of hard to keep the pistol from falling with the pants so I tend to try and use a stall. I rather have my back against the wall in a situation anyhow and for those who think stuff does not happen in a restroom there have been plenty of stories on the news abot muggins, rapes etc all in PR's. I don't loose sleep but I also try to be very aware when in those places.

#43 ·
I have a habit of going in the handicap stall. (If I really have to go!)
HC stalls offer more room for cover AND the toilet is usually not in "direct" line of fire with the door.

If I use the urinal, its (Always) the one on the far end. (usually the far right!)

I want to have the least amount of vulneralbility and this tact usually protects from attack on two sides instead of just one.

This means, I'll be more likely to keep my strong side free to grab my gun or offer a defensive blow should it be warranted.

#47 ·
I've been favoring appendix carry. Using a urinal, I think I would be able to access it pretty well especially if I was able to turn toward the weak hand side toward the attacker. Giving my right hand time to draw but looking like I was zipping up.

May have to do some mock scenario training on it. Definitely 'mock' or my training partners would never go for it :danceban:

#48 ·
I hear alot of stall comments saying it gives you a barrier, and time to react etc..

Well think about it as the "tunnel of death" like a doorway opening.

If you are locked in there yea theres a barrier..
But!
You can not see who comes and goes into the restroom
A body count of possible trouble
Theres only ONE way out of the stall and the BG knows where you will be coming from!
And if he is armed and just random shooting you are like a fish in a barrel. Those little metal walls are not doing anything to stop a bullet. wouldnt take much to shoot you threw the wall, vs. you can stoot out the walls b/c you dont know his exact location AND the locations of others in the room.

Just my opinions!

#220 ·
Thats why I go to the very last stall of a row of about 16 stalls. That way, there are about 31 layers of metal (and maybe other people) between me and someone that comes in shooting. But seriously, I'd rather be in a stall than standing at a urinal where I can't really see behind me anyway. The stall has many advantages in my opinion, esp since I think most attackers in bathrooms are going to either attack a person out of anger, or be trying to steal from someone, or both. As far as the mass shooting scenario you seem to be talking about (someone firing into stalls randomly) I haven't heard of that happening too often. (of course it could happen) Seems rare compared with the number of thefts/beatings that occur in bathrooms.

#51 ·
Normally, I carry IWB at 4:00, and with my left hand I take care of buisness, the right hand is on my gun. If someone comes in, or is already in, I move my left hand and rest it on the wall. That way I have some stability if someone tries to push me into the wall.

#52 ·
Good topic.

I've been carrying a gun so long that I always use a stall that has a door. If I can't find that, I hold it.

I've actually never thought about this, at least recently. I guess once carrying a gun becomes commonplace the habits and changes in behavior it generates in us gets unnoticed with the passage of time. In short, we forget what it's like to be "new".

Thank you for the eye opener, or reminder, as my wife calls them. I will try to address this issue with some people I know that could maybe benefit from this topic.

Biker

#53 ·
This is why I just sit in the urinal; my back to the wall.

#84 ·
Have personally seen this particular maneuver only once in my (much earlier) life. It was at a college bar, and the person performing it was a female. :yup: When you gots to go, I guess you gots to go.

#59 ·
Mostly when I go the bathroom in a public place. I just do #1 or #2. Listen, if we live in "code orange" all the time, the BGs have won! Don't get me wrong; know where you are, and avoid obvious stuff. However, I carry a gun for those times when if I can't talk my way out of it and they press the issue, and I don't have ANY other recourse!

The rest of the time - I just go about my business. Life is too short to be in "code orange" all the time. YMMV

#62 ·
I take a different tack. I scout out the public restroom for a half an hour before going. I want to make sure no one has spotted my weapon and is waiting for me knowing my eating and bathroom habits.

Once the restroom is deemed free of potential attackers, I usually give $20 to someone nearby to alert me if someone is about to enter. If I hear the secret signal, I zip up, take cover and assess the next move based on the actions of the intruder. If I am in a stall then I deploy my BUG, as well. I shoot with both hands!

You can't be too careful! Anywhere, anytime!

#63 ·
I agree with others, I just use a stall. It's not really so much about being afraid of what might happen to me with my back turned so much as not wanting people to see I'm carrying and having a bladder with stage fright.

#64 ·
I carry hand sanitizer and lysol spray with me at all times. I think public restrooms are havens for viruses and bacteria that haven't been discovered yet. I don't use urinals after I started carrying. I wait for the stalls.