Defensive Carry banner

The Official "Restroom Thread"

191K views 498 replies 352 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
I thought of this the other day as I was at a restaurant using the urinal. It's a really bad situation as your back is turned away from the door, or what's behind you, not bragging hear, but your hands are taking care of business, and you're in a really precarious position with "it" hanging out. After analyzing this situations, I've started using stalls w/doors, locking them, and staying observant to anyone in the restroom or coming in.

#192 ·
Try a fire hydrant you will have a 360 degree view... Trees are out since one of "them" can hide behind one.... :rolleyes:

Fire hydrant Toy Cone Fictional character Decorative nutcracker

#193 ·
I've contemplated this scenario before I was even old enough to buy a long gun.. IMO, I believe the greatest weapon one can possess is a sharp mind. When I was unarmed, I relied on situational awareness and my martial arts training.

Now that I carry, it really depends on the venue. For example, if I'm at a 'sit down' restaurant such as Red Lobster or a steak house, I won't necessarily be more relaxed, but I'll be just a tad more at ease since their mirrors tend to line up directly behind the urinals so just a quick side glance and can provide a view of the majority of your surrounding area. But in general, I don't hold my junk when I piss, I flop it out, left arm on the defensive, right hand ready to draw my weapon and if piss and blood happen to collaborate in the creation of a pool of handled business, so be it.

#196 ·
I've never seen a stall with a "Reserved Handicap" sign on it. Would be kind of ridiculous to have it setting unused when there are people lined up waiting.

#198 ·
failure to re-cover

I had a small problem a while back. Used the stall, got up and buckled up and stepped out to wash up. I carry OWB and the tail of my vest had gotten caught up between me and the weapon exposing the gun. Fortunately, my grandson had taken the break with me and noticed it and quickly alerted me to rectify the situation. No comment from other users in the room. It sure gave me pause for thought and NOW I double check that I'm covered before exiting the stall.

Reactions: NickOfTyme
#202 ·
Clothing tends to be pretty bendy (technical term) and you can do a lot with them to hide your holster and especially your firearm. You can always take your gun out of your holster and place it inside your pants/underoos. If it comes down to it, you could also try holding up your pants above the stall bottom, though that would be a major annoyance.

#203 ·
The handicap stall is pretty much the best one. Its all the way at the back of the restroom, its usually got the door that faces the restroom door, some of them ive seen even have little shelves, though i dont know for what...and it has handles for heavy duty usage.

#205 ·
I am with the guys that think this is just a little on the paranoid side. I guess if I was in a situatiion that made me nervous I might be a little
more cautious and observant than I usually am, but if I am simply taking a wiz a Publix I don't think I would be too awfully worried.

#206 ·
Not sure why this is a complicated process. The physiology involved in actualy moving to the restroom, dropping pants, the process in actualy going, then cleanup and reclothing and washing hands is much more involved. Cant be all that difficult to figure out what to do with the gun.

#208 ·
I haven't read the whole thread, but seriously? I understand that assaults and such do take place in restrooms, but the fact of life is that a person cannot always be 100% ready for everything. Sometimes you just have to do something that isn't going to be called tactically sound. I'm not talking doing something stupid like pumping gas at 1am with a crowd of suspicious looking people nearby, but if I want to read the jacket of a book I'm going to do it without being afraid that I will be jumped by ninjas.

Unless I am pocket carrying I use a stall. Not for security purposes (Do you think that crappy door and that little bit of metal constituting a 'lock' will actually stop an attacker?) but for ease of being able to undo my pants without them being pulled to the floor by a pistol and ammo.

#226 ·
No, that "crappy" (you don't mean dirty?) little door and lock won't stop anyone, and thats not the point. Most home doors/locks won't stop anyone either. The point of those things is to slow someone down and give you time to react. If someone is trying to break into a bathroom stall (or a home) they are going to make some noise and be noticed. That person trying to come into that stall is giving you time to react. Standing at a urinal with your back to everyone and no door is what gives you NO time to react.

#209 ·
I think the best thing to do is to have your weapon in your non-dominant hand when you enter the bathroom. Wave it around a bit while you use your dominant hand for your other weapon. When you finish, zip up, wash up and leave, reholstering your weapon. VERY IMPORTANT: Do not confuse your weapons or your hands!

#210 ·
I'll never admit I'm paranoid but the rare time I have to use a public rest room to pee I just slide my holster as far forward as I can making it strong hand right-of-belly mount. And no - I haven't tried to draw it in a compromised position but I have tried it outside of a lavatory in the comfort of my own house. I feel confident that I'd be able to draw and pee because I've proved that I can walk & chew gum at the same time & can multi-task. I'm also a bit ambidextrous so I can handle my business right or left handed.

#212 ·
#1 just slide it over a little(I carry AIWB at 12:00.)

#2 It gets unclipped and set on top of the tp holder.

Although, it is pretty rare to need to #2 in public. I'd rather do it at home or even better at work where I'm getting paid for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#213 ·
I wasn't concerned about this until I got pick-pocketed a couple months ago while using a urinal in a men's restroom at Navy Pier in Chicago. Now whenever I make pee pee while armed my situational awareness is maxed out!!

I wasn't armed in Chicago, by the way. The "police state" of Illinois doesn't recognize my Michigan concealed pistol license. :mad: When I filed the police report, the cop asked me if I had my gun on me. :ticking:

#215 ·
Actually, in my view, a restroom is no different than any other location. You must be aware of your surroundings and be vigilant as to the opportunities provided for any bad guys. Then act accordingly. For instance, a small rest room in a restaurant may pose a lot less threat than a restroom in a rest stop area along the expressway. etc.