Defensive Carry banner

The Official "Restroom Thread"

191K views 498 replies 352 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
I thought of this the other day as I was at a restaurant using the urinal. It's a really bad situation as your back is turned away from the door, or what's behind you, not bragging hear, but your hands are taking care of business, and you're in a really precarious position with "it" hanging out. After analyzing this situations, I've started using stalls w/doors, locking them, and staying observant to anyone in the restroom or coming in.

#231 ·
Just curious...any of the "stall" guys park on the side of a convenience store and glance inside before going inside? Im just wondering if the guys who are worried about being ambushed are equally concerned about walking into one...

I think an assailant would just kick the stall door in (and right into your back)...but then again, having my head knocked into the wall a half a foot in front of me doesn't seen too pleasant.

Sheesh...maybe I'll just hold it till I get home.

#234 ·
I had a guy try to strong arm me and my buddy in a restroom at a bar once. He walked in and stood in front of the door and said give all your money. I pulled out my Spyderco and said I dont think so. He stood there for a second and then backed out the door. My buddy was freaking out and about started crying. I did not carry then and would not have had a pistol at a bar anyways, but I allways have a knife. ALWAYS be prepared!

CARRY ON!

Reactions: ironmike86
#236 ·
I guess you don't travel unless you have a motor home. LOL. I am the same, don't use public restrooms unless i have no other choice and then it is the stall.....

#239 ·
When using a public urinal, it would seem prudent to handle your gun with your weak hand, and keep your strong hand free in case you have to draw your weapon. ;)

(Apologies if somebody said this already. I haven't gone back through all 16 pages of the thread).

#240 ·
During 31 years in uniform I very seldom ever used public rest rooms. If emergency and I stopped in a place that I wasn't familiar with, I check it out. When I was in uniform I'ld hang the SB belt on the hook with my hat, but the weapon was there with me, never on a hook. I always maintained pocession of it.
Even now, after retirement, I only use stalls where I have a door ... and if doing #2 the weapon is still laid in the crotch of my jeans if the holster is laced in my belt. In instances where I have an easily removable holster, the holstered wepon is so held.
I have a few places I know well that the men's room has both urinal and toilet but just the one locking door, these are the only places I'll use a urinal. I never ever put my back to an unlocked door in a public restroom.

#241 ·
First post - interesting thread....

A "public restroom incident" is what first caused me to consider concealed carry. Went down like this:

I-5 Northbound, just south of Stockton, CA 0300. I was a heavy truck driver and I had a delivery in Tracy, CA at 0415. Drove most of the night and instead of stopping on the side of the road like a grand majority of scumbags, I actually decided to pull in and use the rest area toilet. Was tired but got out, walked over to the restroom building, entered and stepped up to the nasty urinal. Heard someone else enter, stepped up to the urinal and grunted a greeting. I turned my head to respond and was punched in the back of said head by his partner. I went down, and as I tried to shake it off, they went through my pockets (I don't carry anything inside with me except the key to the truck) and then they took off running...didn't take the key to the truck although I had to fish it out of the urinal water....

Called 911 when I was back in the truck. Got local Sheriff's Department. Couldn't help me but since it was a rest area, transferred me to CHP. Operator took my info and said we will dispatch someone. Waited 1 1/2 hours. Called back. Still no one available. Asked to speak to watch commander. Got some flunkie instead who asked me: "Were you buying drugs or soliciting homosexual favors in there? Which one?" Hung up on him. Trust in cops for a LONG time after that: a big, fat "zero".....

Lessons Learned:

CHP = Zero
Immediate application for CCW=+100
******* on the side of the road from then on= +100

#242 ·
I know a man named Cadillac he was a older man who was homeless and lived in a old broke down Cadillac he made his money a a farmers market he may be homles but he had plenty of cash he was robed in the bathroom at the farmers market ever since then he wears his pants inside out now im not saying wear your pants inside out just thought it was a interesting story to share ps ive made over a 100 buck in a day working at a farms market as well as helping my grandfather for free

#249 ·
I always wondered about this. I would hate to be needing to take a dump at a public restroom and be carrying my pistol because the floors of public restrooms are notoriously nasty places and would not want my pistol making my pants sag and touch the floor.

I haven't had this problem yet.

#259 ·
If ya gotta go you gotta go.

It was an emergency and I just could not wait so I ended up in a stall that would not lock. As I was sitting on the throne the door opened and their I sat with my Glock 19 in my lap. The guy sorta hollered left slipping on wet floor as he laid there moaning other people came in while I was still in the stall. The slipped and broke his hip...........so much for looking in a stall.

Reactions: TangoHotel
#260 ·
Even in the little building I work in where 5 small/medium business call home base I've been in the bathroom and without realizing I was doing it at first, I find myself finding 3 or so immediate items I can use as a weapon of some sort, depending on the situation. Long ago I started "war gaming" as it's referred to in the sense I was doing it and it eventually became sp natural that it was like muscle memory.
Sometimes I find myself looking at things like the toilet bowl paper ring holder they mount over the toilet, trying to figure out how the hell I can use it. It would take some strength to rip that thing off the wall.

#263 ·
I use the urinal where k can have the best periphrial shot of the doorway and rest of bathroom. I try to find surfaces like glass in pictures or the chrome reflective off of the top of the urinal to try watching the area around me. If I have any doubts or worries I use a full stall and close the door. And watch footprints.

#264 ·
This only seems to come up for me when I'm at the movie theater. Usually, I've just eaten lunch and as I'm diabetic and I go thru Iced Tea like there's no tomorrow, when I arrive at the theater, I usually go in the restroom. I always go to the handicapped stall and remove my pistol from the holster and carefully set it on top of the toilet paper dispenser. I do this because I really don't want my gun flopping around on my belt as I take care of business. Once finished, I redo my belt and reholster the firearm. I've been doing this long enough I've found the paper holder to be sturdy enough for the pistol to rest on and I'm not about to forget it and walk off without it. If I should have to sit, I'd for sure want to remove the pistol from the holster because I really don't want it sitting on the floor. Some might be wary of removing the pistol from the holster, but as I'm very careful it works for me and no one's the wiser.