Defensive Carry banner

The Official "Restroom Thread"

191K views 498 replies 352 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
I thought of this the other day as I was at a restaurant using the urinal. It's a really bad situation as your back is turned away from the door, or what's behind you, not bragging hear, but your hands are taking care of business, and you're in a really precarious position with "it" hanging out. After analyzing this situations, I've started using stalls w/doors, locking them, and staying observant to anyone in the restroom or coming in.

#266 ·
I've done that a few times myself. Better safe than sorry.

#268 ·
When I used to carry IWB at the 12 o'clock position I found it rather difficult to do my business at a urinal simply because I had to unbuckle my belt and sort of slide that this way and slide this that way. Arthritis fixed this problem for me.

#273 ·
What is amazing is that in 272 posts nobody has mentioned the use of "Chemical weapons" or "Weapons of Mass Destruction." When in the bathroom the gaseous emanations can be used to counter any ninja-snake-eaters...

:ninjabattle:

#282 ·
I figured out that I can unbutton and unzip my pants without unbuckling my belt and use the urinal. It feels a lot more secure than trying to hold up my pants with a pistol strapped to the belt with one hand and keep ole one eye pointed in a safe direction with the other.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

#283 ·
Standing at a urinal holding your lollypop is a very vulnerable position to put yourself in for sure...anyone could walk up behind you, place gun to head, and take your wallet or gun or other items very easily.....especially if they have a partner to block the door. I use the stall with gun in hand.

#289 ·
I'm like the guy that couldn't believe he read more than a page. This is too funny. I must have led a sheltered life.
You and me both pal, you and me both. Until I came to this site I thought many of my habits were mine alone. When I carried IWB at 12 I used a stall whenever possible just because, well, you know.

#288 ·
Awarness is key. This is a vulnerable spot, either at urnial or stall. Both confied and limited in area. you must stay alert when doing your business. when I am going I trained myself to look out of corner of my eye at the person next to me or in the reflextion of chrome at whom is behind me. If someone advances, drop your "stuff", raise elbow high and spin, putting them to the wall/urnial, then beat feet, can zip up later. Confined space is hard to negotiate from defense, but you must control the area and dominate it. Oh yeah and a comment about having AIDS might stump him from coming after you. The stall comes in one or two situations. one is usual stall, if someone is advancing in, best case situation is raising knees up to block door (it is not a stress door), and keep them from coming in temporarily. two, is the handicap stall, which does get used from time to time, this offer's more room to negotiate, but considering the situation your in, will be highly limited, I always opt for regular stall. just my opinion.

#293 ·
I was mugged in a prr outside of Tampa along I-75 back in 1986. I was 20 years old.

As i was walking around the corner of the gas station to use the bathroom, this big guy sitting on the curb asked me if I knew where such-and-such street was. Like a dumb kid I tried to get away cheap by saying "sorry, not from around here" and proceded into the bathroom. As I'm peeing I hear the door open and close, but I didn't think anything of it. As the guy walked past me, he massively stiff-armed the back of my head, which drove my forehead directly into a tile wall. I was fighting with consciousness as I felt him removing my wallet, watch, and gold necklace (it was the 80's, cut me some slack). He then started for a ring that was willed to me by a deceased relative - he wasn't getting it, period. I curled up in the fetal with my hands pressed into my stomach. I couldnt see anything with all the blood in my eyes, except him kicking me repeatedly with leather cowboy boots, breaking three ribs and puncturing my left lung.
I never gave up the ring!

I guess the attendant heard something, because she called 911. He took off and wasn't found, but my credit cards were used all over Tampa that night. Cops took a report, offered to have ambulance get me, but I declined. It was 3:30am, and I wasn't aware of the extent of my injuries yet. Thought I'd just gotten the worst ass-kicking of my life, lol.

Adding insult to (actual) injury, after I left the gas station I had car trouble almost immediately, maybe 15 miles down the road. My radiator hose blew and my motor overheated , and the engine wouldn't turn over.
I started walking, which REALLY hurt.
I walked for a mile to the next exit, and a gas station attendant let me fill up a five gallon bucket full of water and take it with me. It took me two hours to get back to my car; my broken ribs prevented me from being able to carry the bucket, so I just had to keep "bumping it" up and down every foot or so. By the time I got to my car, it was 6 am, and there was about only about 3" of water left in the bucket. My shoes and pant legs were soaked. Put it in the truck and drove successfully to that gas station. He was just getting off work, but stayed after to replace my hose for me, FREE OF CHARGE. Actually, he paid for it...I had no wallet. Greatest guy in the world.

I got home to Cocoa Beach around 9am, went straight to emergency room and was treated for my injuries.

I had an actual phobia of public urinals for many years, and still do things differently than before the incident.

#296 ·
or you guys could just do what i do.. walk up to urinal, drop pants and boxers to the ground and get down to business. if someone walks in give them a very nice heeeeeey and a wink. everyone that comes in with think you are the baddest person on the face of the earth! :headbang:

#300 ·
Lol...maybe it's because I'm female, but I've never even considered this an issue. My gun goes on the back of the toilet (so it doesn't end up IN the toilet with the extra slack in my belt, the way my cellphone and keys have at various points years ago).

But then, the placement of the gun on the back of the toilet wouldn't be difficult for me to draw and aim from almost as quickly as straight from the holster...But then again, my brother in law says I have bizarre monkey arms, so maybe being able to draw around my back pretty much to the opposite hip isn't normal?

Wait...just did a quick reach and realized if I had a left-handed holster, I could literally cross-draw from a left-handed holster on my left hip with my right hand going around behind my back to it.

Maybe I do have bizarre monkey arms...

#302 ·
People are so paranoid about their "next stall neighbor" seeing a gun on the floor that they use the TP dispenser.
If you can't just keep it the holster then put on the floor (carefully).
If you are legally carrying what's the problem?
If the person next door is checking your foot location then you just have to make a decision re your sexual orientation (either way).:danceban:

#303 ·
Another reason to have a nice secure IWB holster with 2 clips.
I had a small one clip leather holster, every time you drop trawl the gun would tend to flip over... NOOOOOOO

Get the 2 clip IWB holster and it stays put when you drop 'em... and... it is very handy to be able to grab hold of... The Firearm... geeesh what were you thinking?

Just my 2 cents...

#304 ·
I use the following technique with both my IWB and OWB holsters (when using a stall).

Unbuckle/unzip and slide my pants down about 6 inches. I then grab the elastic band of my underwear and pull it up and over the grip of my gun. The tension of the elastic holds the gun and holster close to my legs as I drop my pants the rest of the way AND it completely covers the gun so nothing is visible under the stall wall.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk