Defensive Carry banner

The Official "Restroom Thread"

191K views 498 replies 352 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
I thought of this the other day as I was at a restaurant using the urinal. It's a really bad situation as your back is turned away from the door, or what's behind you, not bragging hear, but your hands are taking care of business, and you're in a really precarious position with "it" hanging out. After analyzing this situations, I've started using stalls w/doors, locking them, and staying observant to anyone in the restroom or coming in.

#4 ·
Perhaps peepers will be pooping their pants if peeping into private and personal places and perhaps their pupils focus upon the front sights of a custom .45?:blink:

I'm just sayin'...:yup:

I seldom use public restrooms, but if it's a must, I try to get or wait for the handicapped stall, and my sidearm is in waiting. I am aware of who enters and leaves.

Stay armed...even when doing improtant 'paperwork'...stay safe!

#11 ·
Perhaps peepers will be pooping their pants if peeping into private and personal places and perhaps their pupils focus upon the front sights of a custom .45?:blink:

I'm just sayin'...:yup:

I seldom use public restrooms, but if it's a must, I try to get or wait for the handicapped stall, and my sidearm is in waiting. I am aware of who enters and leaves.

Stay armed...even when doing improtant 'paperwork'...stay safe!
I would like to here you say that five time fast. :hand5:

Restrooms are the perfect place to run into trouble. Usually one manner of egress, close quarters and everyone is preoccupied. Not to mention most people have some apprehension to using a public restroom to begin with.

Weather in a stall or not I am aware of everyone entering and leaving, as they say, I don't want to get caught with my pants down. :embarassed:

Reactions: rodgersfam1980
#71 ·
Ditto.

This happens all the time in HS bathrooms and gym lockers as well as in night clubs.
It only takes getting got once to 'learn' what not to do.

Personally I don't make use of public restrooms if at all it can be avoided. Notable exceptions excluded.
But if I do have to go my first choice will be to select a stall rather than urinal regardless of carry condition be it #1 or #2.
If stalls are unavailable then I'll go to the urinal farthest away from the door and closest to a solid wall or stall wall.
If no such option is available then I'll select the exact opposite being _closest_ to the door.

Highway rest stops to my mind are the most sketchy and nightclub bathrooms are the most rife with real hands on 'dancing'.
To the latter if you have to go be sure to do so prior to an before last call which is when trouble seriously tends to brew.

I've seen it all in bathrooms from stabbings and folks being attacked with beer bottles to multi-man all out brawls and gang attacks many vs. one. As well as well, a bunch more stuff that had nothing to do with wiping or washing. I have by my own life experiences come to not trust public restrooms but again for a few exceptions.

Same as I've learned to avoid dark alleys day or night and to not mistake any and all strangers smiles for friendliness.

- Janq

#7 ·
I've always considered a public urinal to be a perfect place to get easily disarmed. You can't really see behind you, your hand(s) are probably in front of you, and it wouldn't be hard for someone to grab your weapon from you if they noticed somehow you were carrying (maybe an accidental print).

#9 ·
I always take note of my surroundings before even going in a restroom and if I'm in a large venue, say a sporting event, I will wait for a stall and lock it while I'm doing my thing.

More importantly for me, since I can't be in there with her, I am concerned about my wife using the bathroom. I always stay right outside the door with an ear very closely attuned to the sound of her voice, should it rise.

#366 ·
That is an excellent point....Many years ago in Wyoming where towns were ( and still are ) many miles apart a rest area can be a savior...Some of these remote rest area's see very few people and seldom more then one car at a time...A lady was murdered and husband seriously injured when a weirdo was waiting in the lady's room wearing a long wig..Husband was cut when he heard wife scream....So, I do the same thing..If there are no cars at the RA I will walk into the ladys room before my wife, ready for action, to make sure the room is clear...

#13 · (Edited)
It all goes back to situational awareness.
If I can't use peripheral vision, or can't use the reflections in glass covered pictures or certain chrome fixtures, I look for a stall with door.

I don't like people walking around behind me while I am otherwise preoccupied.

And, If the pooper peepers come by, my preoccupation with them will be peaked, causing me to pee on my pistol as I pull it for presentation.
Top that Ret.

#81 ·
:rofl::rofl:

Far as i'm concerned, comedy central got nuthin' on this site:rofl:

if ever i need a laugh, or something, you jokers can bring a smile to my face, pretty quick!!:rofl:

I Love this place!
WASHINGTON DID’NT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM

#204 ·
These are my thoughts exactly! Don't let carrying a firearm make you paranoid in every situation. This is not to say completely let your guard down by any means, but there's no point in looking at everyone and thinking "How could I shoot you from this angle if you tried to start a confrontation?" Anything can happen anywhere, but you can't go pointing a gun around every corner...

#15 ·
I use a stall, and did long before I started carrying.

Another option would be to do what an older man did last year in Frisco, TX when he was assaulted in a bathroom. He beat the ever lovin' :banned: out of the knucklehead that tried to mug him, with his walking cane :twak:. I wish I could find the article and post it, I'll do that if I find it later.

#16 ·
My Dad was mugged while he stood at a urinal in the restroom at a very nice hotel in the early 1980's. The mugger took his gold watch and wallet and the cash he had in his front right pocket. My father was armed with a S&W .38 in an Alessi ankle holster and was caught completly off guard. My Dad was unhurt and the robber was never caught.

It just goes to show how vulnerable we are when we are in a public restroom either with your pants down or using the urinal. :frown:

#23 ·
I prefer to use a stall. At least it places a physical barrier between me and a potential threat, giving me time to react if something happens. Also, I stay aware of who is there, and who enters.

Using the urinal puts you in a VERY bad spot if someone decides to attack you randomly, and if someone is planning to attack you, you're giving them a great opportunity. Remember, criminals ALREADY have the element of surprise (more or less) on their side. No need to give them even more of an edge. OMO.

#25 ·
I just stand in front of the urinal and pee backwards......people assume that I'm nuts and leave me alone.

Just kidding, like everything else, I tailor my behavior to the circumstances. In a busy place a urinal is ok, at 4a/m I'm going for a stall,furthest from the door.

#33 ·
Good place and time to get robbed. Have a plan and be ready to fight.
I too use a stall and watch my back with reflective surfaces if possible.

#34 ·
Peeing in Public Restrooms--Think about it!
I have thought about it. I've pretty much thought that standing at a wall urinal is a good place to get hit with a kick to the middle of the back and put you in the hospital forever. Emergencies do arise on occasion, and when you gotta go....you gotta go. Survey the scene inside and outside, and make your best tactical decision as to when and where will reduce your risks. We're only talking 20-30 seconds here. Getting it out and in may require two hands, but during the act should only require one or none unless you're playing with it.

#35 ·
I have thought about it. I've pretty much thought that standing at a wall urinal is a good place to get hit with a kick to the middle of the back and put you in the hospital forever. Emergencies do arise on occasion, and when you gotta go....you gotta go. Survey the scene inside and outside, and make your best tactical decision as to when and where will reduce your risks. We're only talking 20-30 seconds here.
All too true, OR having your face/head slammed against the wall in front of you. No doubt "urinal time" leaves you vulnerable.