How do you get a CWP in Binghamton, New York?

This is a discussion on How do you get a CWP in Binghamton, New York? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I am not mistaken, NY CWP are specific per county in their requirements. I thought pop up in the back of my head and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get a CWP in Binghamton, New York?

VIP Member

If I am not mistaken, NY CWP are specific per county in their requirements. I thought pop up in the back of my head and it is nagging me.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

NY CHL are issued by the counties but are good throughout the state except for NYC.

VIP Member
    Does the local LEO Chief has to approve it?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I'm not totally sure how Broome county handles their CWP as each are a little different here and there. But the process is mostly the same. Some of the purchase rules are different, in some you get a voucher for purchase from the Sheriff and in some its the county clerk. But the main licensing process is supposed to be uniform.

I'm in Cortland county and here we wait the NYS 6-month mandatory period, then you are interviewed by a state police investigator. The investigator's recommendation is sent along with your permit application to a country judge, and the judge issues or does no issue the permit. The judge can also affix certain restrictions on the permit as to when and where you can carry.

Part of the issue with the Binghamton shooter, is that they are saying his permit was issued a long time ago, and before some of the newly enacted measures were adopted.

Broome county does have serious money issues, so it is possible they did not have the cash to update their policy, I don't really know. But I suspect all the old NY permits that were issued before the new policies will be reviewed now.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    In my county (Erie) they are issued through the pistol permit department. There are 3 types:

1. Hunting & Target (Allows for lawful handgun ownership and for "Hunting and target") It does not allow for concealed carry. Weapon must be unloaded and kept seperate from ammo during transport.

2. Business Protection: Allows for concealed carry during the course of business. Must be approved by a judge. Holder cannot carry outside of working hours.

3. Unrestricted: The most sought after and least issued. Allows for unrestricted concealed carry. No schools, hospitals, Yada Yada Yada...

My permit is Unrestricted and is "Good until revoked".

All counties in NYS differ slightly as to the requirements, check with your local permit issuing authority for details.

In Futon and Montgomery counties they are issued by a judge after the background checks come back.
    You can get one for possession on premises.
    or
    to possess which will have restrictions. You may ask the judge to remove them after a while ''up to the issuing judge''. I have had an unrestricted permit for years ''forget how long'' but they are currently still reviewing them if requested for unrestricted.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I'm in Orange County.

Long story short: Pickup pistol permit app. Have 4 local residents fill out and sign references that must be notarized. Get finger printed by sheriff dept. Send in app. Have background checked by sheriff dept and finger prints checked by FBI. Get interviewed by sheriff dept. Get interviewed by judge. Issued a pistol permit restricted to hunting and target shooting. Time from initial submission of app to receiving a restricted permit: 5 months. 18 months after receiving permit, submit letter to judge requesting removal of restrictions. Sheriff checks background to ensure I haven't become a bad guy. 2 months later meet with judge again. Have restrictions removed from permit. Total time to get unrestricted permit: 25 months.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    I'm in Orange County.

Long story short: Pickup pistol permit app. Have 4 local residents fill out and sign references that must be notarized. Get finger printed by sheriff dept. Send in app. Have background checked by sheriff dept and finger prints checked by FBI. Get interviewed by sheriff dept. Get interviewed by judge. Issued a pistol permit restricted to hunting and target shooting. Time from initial submission of app to receiving a restricted permit: 5 months. 18 months after receiving permit, submit letter to judge requesting removal of restrictions. Sheriff checks background to ensure I haven't become a bad guy. 2 months later meet with judge again. Have restrictions removed from permit. Total time to get unrestricted permit: 25 months.
    Of course, Orange county is right next to New Jersey so some of the evil has leaked out into your county.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post

Part of the issue with the Binghamton shooter, is that they are saying his permit was issued a long time ago, and before some of the newly enacted measures were adopted.

Broome county does have serious money issues, so it is possible they did not have the cash to update their policy, I don't really know. But I suspect all the old NY permits that were issued before the new policies will be reviewed now.
    I was wondering if the Chief of Police was the issuing authority in Binghamton. The way Chief Zikuski is behaving and saying the things he is saying reminds me of former BSO Sheriff Ken Jenne down here.
    Randy Cain.

Binghamton is in Broome County

From AR15.com NY Hometown forum

Broome County

Cost: ~$120 for restricted, up to $370 for unrestricted

Eligibility Requirements:
    1.) 21 years old
    2.) 3 years residence in the county.
    3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years and who have also lived in the county for 3 years.
    4.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: I was told 6 months, but I got mine in 5 weeks and 2 co-workers got theirs in 6-7 weeks, so its definitely less. It depends on how fast your references fill out their questionnaire and how long the judge wants to let the permits stack up till he signs them.

Restrictions: Almost all PP's are initially issued as "hunting & target shooting only." UPDATE: Now that we have a new county judge, he is allowing folks to get unrestricted permits. I wrote to the judge asking for an unrestricted, I got a letter back telling me to take a $250 8-hour safety course taught by the City of Binghamton Police Dept. I then wrote him again and was approved. My co-worker who was from Texas and took the pistol defense course in Rochester got approved for unrestricted without having to take the $250 course. YMMV. Expect it to take a few months to get an answer back from the new judge

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 1-2 weeks for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol. Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

Personal Experience: Two older women do all the paperwork in the ID dept, they are super nice and know the drill. Deputy Brady Rozelle is the LEO overseeing PP's and is also very friendly, knowledgeable, and seems very pro-2nd amendment.

Where to go: Broome County Sheriff's office Office of the Sheriff | Broome County, NY

From what I recall, the issuing authority for all NY counties is a judge, except for Nassau, Suffolk (Long Island) and NYC.
    Last edited by whisky19; April 11th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    Binghamton is in Broome County

Deputy Brady Rozelle is the LEO overseeing PP's and is also very friendly, knowledgeable, and seems very pro-2nd amendment.

Where to go: Broome County Sheriff's office Office of the Sheriff | Broome County, NY[/I]
    I was a deputy there for 13 years, and Brady is definately a great guy. When I got my permit in NY, it was a lifetime, so it is still good whenever I go back home, because I keep an address in Broome county (family).
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

My friend lives in Vestal,NY which is Broome County. Last week his wife applied at the Sheriff's office, took about 90 minutes.

Monroe County (Rochester,NY) seems to be something of a joke compared to the rest of the state

County Clerk | Monroe County, NY

If you read the "letter of the law", New York State MUST inform you IN WRITING, whether *they* will grant your application, YES or NO, within 6 months of applying for a permit. If the issuing department goes beyond 6 months, they must show "good cause" in writing as to why you application is delayed. If *they* can not show good cause, *they* are in violation of NYS law.

Monroe county hands out "Unrestricted Permits" like drivers licenses and they are good till revoked (lifetime) BUT!!! (there's always a~~~BUT) we must have our Permit "reviewed" every three years as per (of all things) the Brady Law's to make sure we have not wigged out and/or been judged "mentally deficient" ( I'm glad the don't ask my wife

(I'm going to condense this story, there is MUCH more to this, but you'll get the idea)

When I applied for my permit in '94, I 'let-it-slide' for 9 months, when I finally called and asked about my permit, the investigating officer had no clue who I was. So I asked if they had lost my application? After a 15 minute wait the nice gentleman said "oh ya, here you are, wow it's been like 9 months...." <jmac interrupts investigating officer> "you understand you are in violation of NYS law" Nice officer says, "uum gee sorry, I will personally run this over to the judge in the morning"

Jmac had his permit 24 hours later So if you apply for a permit (anywhere in the state) right around the 6 month mark, I would start making phone calls. If you are a citizen in good standing, "legally" the issuing authority CAN NOT deny your permit. if they do deny your permit, I would get a lawyer and go after "them" and make "them" show good cause as to why your permit was denied
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Are you thinking about spending some time with us (NY)?

In Dutchess, I submitted my application with finger prints and references, waited three months and got mine in the mail. No interview with a judge, no restrictions either.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links