Why I carry....

Why I carry....

This is a discussion on Why I carry.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friends tonight I found myself doing something I rarely do. The wife has been on me for months to buy myself something and as a ...

Thread: Why I carry....

Why I carry....

Friends tonight I found myself doing something I rarely do. The wife has been on me for months to buy myself something and as a good American middle class husband I have refused, citing a myriad of reasons, from the car needing tires to saving for my unborn son.

Well, tonight I forced myself to leave the comfy surroundings of my home and venture out into the night with my trusty SW Model 37. With the pistol tucked in my old military parka and having already sent up a prayer to the Lord above I began my journey to local shoe store.

The surroundings were modern as I looked over the wide selection of shoes looking to find my price range of 40 to 50 dollars. Well after finding a decent pair I hailed the store manager who was busy helping two gentlemen of which one possesed a roll of twenties bigger than a small babies head. Well, as not to stereotype the young man, him being about 10 years younger than I, I wrote it off as the yearly blessing from Uncle Sam.

Well I continued to listen at his language as he bought shoe after shoe, hat after hat and several shirts. Well apparently the guy knew the manager and frequently walked behind the register and threw twenties at the other female workers who laughed and enjoyed being degraded. The guy even joked about how he could rob the store but would not get as much as he had in his hand. They all joked it up being that they were obvious friends. The guy even said, now you know we are cool plus my pistol is in the car. ( Well this just in buddy my pistol is not I thought)

The old military attitudeof hurry up and wait came over me and I began to get impatient as she took a whole 30 minutes to get my size. I was enjoying the show, as a drug dealer told of what he had and I also knew who the trigger man was as he watched the two guys and I watched him. He was the silent type, and was unsure how to take me in my military parka and clean shaven look and the hardcore look I had. Moreover, I addressed every female salesmen as Mam. To make this short. I know why I carry because it is scumbags like this that continue to make our country and the world a bad place.

I felt comfortable with the .38 and knew it would not be a need to even fathom using it inside. However, I watched my six as I left the store and new that I represented every true American regardless of color that rises every morning and works hard for what they have. Secondly, I was also too excited to be getting me a pair of new sneakers, now my students(clients) can stop laughing at me when they come for counseling sessions. Thanks for listening and I'll bring an extra one just in case you need to reload.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Sounds like future Pelican Bay residents!

If that was me getting new sneaks and received crappy service, I'm out the door. Crummy customer service these days is everywhere.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Blue - if time allows, there is something to be said for studying our fellow inhabitants.

I have seen this similar picture once before, at our main mall in Johnstown - tho maybe not quite to the excess you described. Observing tho does yield its own satisfaction in some ways - if only to remind ourselves of what is all out there!!!

In your situation there too - I would have enjoyed the friendly pressure on my lower ribs, of Mr SIG!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey just order some "boots" from galls. They make sneakers that look like boots and boots that look like sneakers now days. That way you can have you cake and eat it too. You know some things wrong when Nike makes combat boots. Air A** kickers I think they were.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Moreover, I addressed every female salesmen as Mam.
    Why not? I love calling everyone Sir, or Mam. That way I dont have too remember so many first names.

Yeah, 95 I keep getting on the fence and getting of the fence in terms of carrying my 1911. However, in the mind set of some I think I would get a better reaction if I had to pull it, rather than the .38.

Lead Moderator
    I think this is why some of us carry full size guns when possible. You never know what you may be up against.
    Nice job picking the trigger man out. Knowing in advance who would be the biggest threat sure helps.

Thanks Rocky.....

My mother taught me to watch people when I was just a little guy. We would go to the airport and pick up my dad coming home from a business trip. I remember going an hour or more before the DC-3 was due to set down on the grass strip just so we could watch people. It is amazing what all you can glean by just watching from the sidelines. I have a favorite coffee shop. The proprietor is a statuesque lady and pleasing to look at. She is also a nice person so getting to know her was safe and fun. When we became friends she decided I was safe and confided in me some things about life she needed to talk about. I am a good listener and was glad to listen. The funny thing is I knew everything she had to say just be watching her and her family. Every last detail I knew just by watching. I never told her I knew but jut listened and let her talk it out.

I can usually do the same at a mall or any crowded place where I can watch without being obvious. I assume it not a special gift but something we all can do if we just try. In many situations it may save your life.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

Links