Does anyone know of any churches in Columbia,SC...

This is a discussion on Does anyone know of any churches in Columbia,SC... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know of any Churches in the Columbia SC area that allow carry? I have my CWP and have just moved to Columbia. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know of any churches in Columbia,SC...

Does anyone know of any churches in Columbia,SC...

Does anyone know of any Churches in the Columbia SC area that allow carry? I have my CWP and have just moved to Columbia. I know that if the church leadership approves that it's ok. I wouldn't carry unless I actually got permission myself but, I thought this might be a good place to start finding out. I am the type person who is kind of timid about asking these sorts of things not knowing where the other person stands.
    Thanks in advance and have a wonderful weekend...

__________________________________________________ ___
    "...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Jesus Christ, Luke 22:36

2. Remove Ads

First, let me say welcome to the forum and congrats on having your CWP. I understand your concern, given recent attacks at churches,as well as everywhere else. Having said that, now I'll throw my $.02 in.

I think you might be best served going about the process the opposite way. Go through the process of finding a home church (possibly by visiting several), then explore carrying there, once you've established a relationship with a church. I think that would benefit you personally most; also, hearing the question from a new parishioner is potentially a little less off-putting than hearing it immediately after hello from someone walking in off the street. OMO
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kdallen View Post
    First, let me say welcome to the forum and congrats on having your CWP. I understand your concern, given recent attacks at churches,as well as everywhere else. Having said that, now I'll throw my $.02 in.

I think you might be best served going about the process the opposite way. Go through the process of finding a home church (possibly by visiting several), then explore carrying there, once you've established a relationship with a church. I think that would benefit you personally most; also, hearing the question from a new parishioner is potentially a little less off-putting than hearing it immediately after hello from someone walking in off the street. OMO
    Agree very much I do! Especially as a Pastor
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I am a deacon in a large SC Baptist Church, about the same size as Shannon BC in Cola. Our pastor and team are working on a security plan for the church and it does involve LEOs and CWP members. As you know, don't carry in church unless the pastor approves it.

Furthermore, don't pick your church based on whether you can carry or not. Find a church home that meets your spiritual needs first. Let the Lord guide you, not your gun.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjeep View Post
    I am a deacon in a large SC Baptist Church, about the same size as Shannon BC in Cola. Our pastor and team are working on a security plan for the church and it does involve LEOs and CWP members. As you know, don't carry in church unless the pastor approves it.

Furthermore, don't pick your church based on whether you can carry or not. Find a church home that meets your spiritual needs first. Let the Lord guide you, not your gun.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjeep View Post

A very impotortant statement.

Quote Furthermore, don't pick your church based on whether you can carry or not. Find a church home that meets your spiritual needs first. Let the Lord guide you, not your gun. End Quote

I just have to say Amen and Amen.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Find a great church to serve the Lord. Then worry about carrying. I wouldn't make church carry a litmus test for the place where God is calling you to serve. Who knows, maybe you'll be the one who starts the gears cranking in a church to make a change and allow carry.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Interesting thread! As you might realize from my board name, I'm a Pastor. Where I live in Oregon, permission from Church leadership to carry would not be required. I carry and my associate also has a CCP. To be honest, if permission were required...I'd probably want to get to know you a little bit first. It might wierd me out a little to have someone approach me on their first visit and say "Hi...nice ta meet ya. Can I carry?" I'd probably at least like to know if they liked my preaching

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    Interesting thread! As you might realize from my board name, I'm a Pastor. Where I live in Oregon, permission from Church leadership to carry would not be required. I carry and my associate also has a CCP. To be honest, if permission were required...I'd probably want to get to know you a little bit first. It might wierd me out a little to have someone approach me on their first visit and say "Hi...nice ta meet ya. Can I carry?" I'd probably at least like to know if they liked my preaching
    I don't think it would be unrealistic to want to know one who would be carrying inside the church.
    While I support the right, there are some complications. I would want the person to know where others were during the service, and use care if he had to shoot.

As an example, before we moved into our new church the main door opened adjacent to the SS class of children.
    If someone entered with a firearm and it was necessary to shoot, if the bullet penetrated the individual, or if we missed, the bullet would easily penetrate the wood door and go into the class. Children were seated directly behind the door, and would likely be hit.
    One should kneel so that the trajectory would be up and greatly reduce the chance of injuring the children behind the door.

I would not be comfortable with an armed individual not knowing that fact and shooting from a standing position. He might have to shoot anyway, but if possible we would need to consider what was behind the target.

To shoot in the main auditorium during a service from any distance except almost in contact would likely result in innocent people being shot.

I am not making the point that there should be no shooting, but that anyone armed should be aware of the layout, and mature enough to make good judgments regarding when and where to shoot.

Having assisted in teaching CHL classes for several years, I would not trust many to shoot inside the church. There are few who can shoot accurately enough if the shooting is more than about 7 yards or so.

So if carrying required the approval of the pastor or other leadership, he would be justified in wanting to know if the person was competent and good enough in markmanship to be armed inside the church.

For anyone that will say that the license should be enough, I have to disagree having seen the level of markmanship required, and possessed by most of the students.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thanks...

I totally get it... I may have worded my post a bit wrong... I have been heavily involved in my other church from where I moved from and was on staff for almost 6yrs. I would never let my CWP come in the way of my calling to a Church Home. I was actually more curious than anything given my new CWP status. I'm still new to the whole carry thing and churches allowing and even condoning this intrigues me.
    On the other hand I am still in the process of visiting churches to see where I feel called to go. It is kind of nice to be a member of such a forum as this and get such great comments and encouragement about religious beliefs and finding a church I applaud everyone's kind and encouraging words . Thanks again and God Bless...

A church would never advertise they condone concealed carry. Mine does not, hence no name of the church provided.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by avgeekjlb View Post
    I totally get it... I may have worded my post a bit wrong... I have been heavily involved in my other church from where I moved from and was on staff for almost 6yrs. I would never let my CWP come in the way of my calling to a Church Home. I was actually more curious than anything given my new CWP status. I'm still new to the whole carry thing and churches allowing and even condoning this intrigues me.
    On the other hand I am still in the process of visiting churches to see where I feel called to go. It is kind of nice to be a member of such a forum as this and get such great comments and encouragement about religious beliefs and finding a church I applaud everyone's kind and encouraging words . Thanks again and God Bless...
    When you get settled PM me and I'll meet you at Shooters Choice and we'll go though a few magazines.
    Tim
    Florence SC

The law says you can't carry into a church without the "express permission" of the appropriate church official. Some intepret "express permission" to mean "in writing".

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by akhimark View Post
    The law says you can't carry into a church without the "express permission" of the appropriate church official. Some intepret "express permission" to mean "in writing".

What do you think?
    Express permission means specific permission. The "in writing" is a heckuva good idea, in the event something causes you to have to draw/fire. It might stop you from being initially arrested or subsequently charged with having it on the property, in case the pastor isn't present when LE responds.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Distinguished Member
    Also, keep in mind, the pastor is not always able to give permission. Permission has to come from the governing body of the chucrch. In SBC churches, I would interpret that to mean the Board of Deacons. In a PCUSA church that could mean the national Presbytery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links