Can You Carry While Drinking At A Bar? - Page 6

Can You Carry While Drinking At A Bar?

This is a discussion on Can You Carry While Drinking At A Bar? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ah, but you've confused CAN you with SHOULD you there ... It may not be wise, granted. But to restrain the rights of the majority ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Can You Carry While Drinking At A Bar?

ah, but you've confused CAN you with SHOULD you there ...

It may not be wise, granted. But to restrain the rights of the majority based on the bad behavior of the very few ... That's not a good policy.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Fascinating discussion. Thanks.

When I ride the metro into DC, I cannot legally carry anyway, so on those days when I am in the district (and Metro is the designated driver), I'll have a couple drinks with friends or the bride. Otherwise, if I know I'll be having a drink or even wine with dinner, the ccw is locked up.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 13th, 2009 at 10:38 PM.

i know first hand that carrying while drinking can run you into some issues with the police, i got jammed up with something in pa in regards to it still an open case so i cant tell you how it tunred out yet but , take this into consideration when you talk about drinking and carrying.... who does the mugger go after, the 25 yr old male in good shape or the 90 yr old female ? the more vulnerable one correct? so who do they go after the drunk guy or the sober guy? drunk or sober my life is just as valuable so as long as your being responsible i think you should be able to carry when ever regardless. ( by responsible i mean not flashing your weapon or treating it like a toy, handling it with full respect for what it is caple of doing)

State

In MN, yes and the limit is 0.04.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Legal in Maine, IIRC.

Isn't it great, every state has a different stance on the issue... As far as NC, not going to happen

In KS it is illegal to carry if you are "under the influence." That doesn't necessarily mean you have to blow a .08. If you display signs that lead a LEO to believe you are under the influence you are still in trouble, even if you blow less than a .08.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    what is the law in alabama?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Even if it was legal, it is morally questionable to be intoxicated and armed. If you were drunk and needed to use a firearm, your judgment would be off and most likely your aim too. You would endanger innocent people and yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Are you requesting links for people consuming alcohol involved in shootings or for people consuming alcohol involved in shootings that faced criminal or civil litigation?

These cases are best researched in a legal data base. I assure you they will not make the news for eveyday web links to be posted.

People will make excuses for anything they desire to do or not do. After reading all the comments on this board, I am going to encourage our law makers not to allow carry and alcohol consumption. This is crazy. I DO NOT want my family near ANYONE consuming and CARRYING, PERIOD. If I am dining somewhere and I notice someone carrying that is consuming I will notify the manager, call the police and excuse myself and my family from that establishment. I do not care if it happens to be legal your state or not. You want to have a beer with that pizza? Cool, leave the gun at home.

Here is one. Had it had been a non LEO the outcome would have been much different. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/ny...rssnyt&emc=rss
    Really, even if it were not illegal where the person was having a beer or glass of wine whatever with dinner, what have you. You would call the police and report a non crime because you have personal belief that something is wrong.

So what if someone is carrying a firearm and is just plain an idiot, do we call and report that there is an idiot with a gun minding his own business but since I don't like him being an idiot I want to report it to the manager and the authorities?

You know the anti crowd doesn't feel comfortable with any of us carrying even when stone cold sober, they pretty much feel that if you want to be in public with a gun, you should have left your gun at home.

This has been hashed through about every 4 to 6 months since I have been on this site. It is the same thing. Some folks feel that no amount of alcohol and guns mix. Some feel that a beer or whatever with a meal is fine. It boils down to the individual. I am more confident with me after a six pack over the evening than some people I have seen total sober handling a gun.

Search over the site for threads on folks in gun stores sweeping or outright covering someone with a gun when looking at stuff. There are idiots all around, just because you have a beer or glass of wine doesn't necessarily put one in that catagory.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksta038 View Post
    Just wondering if your spending a night out on the town having a few drinks are you still allowed to carry?
    There is law, and there is ethics. My opinion is that drinking and guns don't mix.

If you are asking the question, you should leave your firearm at home.
    & my carry weapon - Kimber Ultra II Stainless 45

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksta038 View Post
    Just wondering if your spending a night out on the town having a few drinks are you still allowed to carry?
    Regardless of whether or not it is legal the question should be, not whether or not it is legal, the question really is, should you?
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    In Va., it's not illegal to drink alcoholic beverages while carrying (though if you're in a restaurant, it has to be open carry unless you fall within the "drunken police officer on duty" exception). It is, however, illegal to carry a gun while intoxicated. And the "legal limit" for DUI does not apply.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

I guess im a old folgie,but I believe drinking doesent mix with guns or driving,I we nt out to eat with my family in Tn. the other night ,went in with a empty holster,because you cant carry in a resturant that servers alchoul,that sucks,you should be able to carry inside as long as you dont drink,.Is just another gun free zone for bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post

People will make excuses for anything they desire to do or not do. After reading all the comments on this board, I am going to encourage our law makers not to allow carry and alcohol consumption. This is crazy. I DO NOT want my family near ANYONE consuming and CARRYING, PERIOD. If I am dining somewhere and I notice someone carrying that is consuming I will notify the manager, call the police and excuse myself and my family from that establishment. I do not care if it happens to be legal your state or not. You want to have a beer with that pizza? Cool, leave the gun at home.

Here is one. Had it had been a non LEO the outcome would have been much different. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/ny...rssnyt&emc=rss

Well, aren’t we just holier than thou?

If it's legal to why make a stink, just because YOU don't like it? Get over yourself. How would you feel getting the cops called on you when a sheep is aware that you are carrying LEGALLY? They report you as an idiot with a gun. Kinda would insult you no? especially if it's LEGAL...HELLO!?!?!

If a person can legally drink a bit while carrying leave it @ that. They are law abiding...not opinion abiding..they don't lose that right because you are not happy with it.....who are you to dictate. No need to prove a point and point out loud that a person is in error according to your feelings or opinion. I'm sure you have your own things to work on before forcing you views at such an extreme on someone else.

I by no means a strait arrow. I've drank many a time while carrying....didn't get drunk...like some around here expect when one says they drink.

I didn't have the cops jump me nor did I get into an altercation cause I had a few beers and was packing....it was concealed (ding ding!! key word!!!!) and nobody new the better...I enjoyed myself and the enviroment and had a nice time. OH yeah, it was all legal to boot!!

This stance that I see some in this thread with regards to carrying and drinking is the exact mirror of how the Sheep think that a perosn with a gun will shoot up the place on a whim.

I should not be denied the right to defend myself as I see fit cause I choose to chill with a beer or two. Heck, I might need to defend myself from a large fellow drunk and now pissed off, with a broken off bottle top cause I sat @ his stool while he went and took a piss. Or a possible attack in the parking lot....who knows.

I know were my limit is and know the responsibilities and consequences of my actions no matter what!!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links