Can You Carry While Drinking At A Bar?

This is a discussion on Can You Carry While Drinking At A Bar? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farronwolf Really, even if it were not illegal where the person was having a beer or glass of wine whatever with dinner, ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Can You Carry While Drinking At A Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Really, even if it were not illegal where the person was having a beer or glass of wine whatever with dinner, what have you. You would call the police and report a non crime because you have personal belief that something is wrong.

So what if someone is carrying a firearm and is just plain an idiot, do we call and report that there is an idiot with a gun minding his own business but since I don't like him being an idiot I want to report it to the manager and the authorities?

You know the anti crowd doesn't feel comfortable with any of us carrying even when stone cold sober, they pretty much feel that if you want to be in public with a gun, you should have left your gun at home.

This has been hashed through about every 4 to 6 months since I have been on this site. It is the same thing. Some folks feel that no amount of alcohol and guns mix. Some feel that a beer or whatever with a meal is fine. It boils down to the individual. I am more confident with me after a six pack over the evening than some people I have seen total sober handling a gun.

Search over the site for threads on folks in gun stores sweeping or outright covering someone with a gun when looking at stuff. There are idiots all around, just because you have a beer or glass of wine doesn't necessarily put one in that catagory.
    +1
    I'm not sure what my opinion is on the subject really!
    There are some peopl who can maintain well while under the influence and know there limits and then there are others who do not.
    Just recently I went to an LE retirement party for one of my good friends and almost 85% of us at the party I can tell you were armed and consuming alcohol. Some got extrmely plastered and others maintained throughout the night. I myself had a buzz and cut myself off. No incidents occured! It's a matter of personal preference in my eyes I guess.
    The sheepdog is both blessed and cursed with the capacity for violence, and a profound love for the flock. This is what makes the warrior different from the wolf.
    -Dave Grossman

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    I by no means a strait arrow. I've drank many a time while carrying....didn't get drunk...like some around here expect when one says they drink.
    This stance that I see some in this thread with regards to carrying and drinking is the exact mirror of how the Sheep think that a perosn with a gun will shoot up the place on a whim.

I should not be denied the right to defend myself as I see fit cause I choose to chill with a beer or two. Heck, I might need to defend myself from a large fellow drunk and now pissed off, with a broken off bottle top cause I sat @ his stool while he went and took a piss. Or a possible attack in the parking lot....who knows.

I know were my limit is and know the responsibilities and consequences of my actions no matter what!!
    Just to clarify my POV, in my opinion, each of us should make this kind of choice for ourselves, within the constraints of the law, based on our knowing our own capabilities and limitations.

My objection was to the conviction of some that, if you are involved in an otherwise good self defense shooting, you will suffer nasty consequences because you had a drink or two. I have yet to see any evidence to support this contention.

For myself. I agree with you Frogbones.

Ken

I myself do not mix the two especially in public. I feel that since I am given that freedom, I will give it the utmost respect in every way possible! I also feel that I don't need anything altering my mind if I have to make a life changing decision.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

[QUOTE=Frogbones;1122469]Well, aren’t we just holier than thou?

"If it's legal to why make a stink, just because YOU don't like it? Get over yourself. How would you feel getting the cops called on you when a sheep is aware that you are carrying LEGALLY? They report you as an idiot with a gun. Kinda would insult you no? especially if it's LEGAL...HELLO!?!?!"

"If a person can legally drink a bit while carrying leave it @ that. They are law abiding...not opinion abiding..they don't lose that right because you are not happy with it.....who are you to dictate. No need to prove a point and point out loud that a person is in error according to your feelings or opinion. I'm sure you have your own things to work on before forcing you views at such an extreme on someone else."

[QUOTE=Frogbones;1122469]

I think that for the most part people are just expressing an opinion and are not forcing anything down someones throat. Last time I checked I can't jump through a computer screen and grab someone and force them to do a damn thing. Lighten up...they're only opinions and people are entitled to them just as yours is.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Well, arenít we just holier than thou?

"If it's legal to why make a stink, just because YOU don't like it? Get over yourself. How would you feel getting the cops called on you when a sheep is aware that you are carrying LEGALLY? They report you as an idiot with a gun. Kinda would insult you no? especially if it's LEGAL...HELLO!?!?!"
    I think that for the most part people are just expressing an opinion and are not forcing anything down someones throat. Last time I checked I can't jump through a computer screen and grab someone and force them to do a damn thing. Lighten up...they're only opinions and people are entitled to them just as yours is.
    IMHO you may want to reread the post by FlyboyLDB which said, in part:
    People will make excuses for anything they desire to do or not do. After reading all the comments on this board, I am going to encourage our law makers not to allow carry and alcohol consumption. This is crazy. I DO NOT want my family near ANYONE consuming and CARRYING, PERIOD. If I am dining somewhere and I notice someone carrying that is consuming I will notify the manager, call the police and excuse myself and my family from that establishment. I do not care if it happens to be legal your state or not. You want to have a beer with that pizza? Cool, leave the gun at home.
    To me this person is far from "just expressing an opinion and are not forcing anything down someones throat." YMMV.

Ken

Depends on "your States laws"...

Illegal in Nebraska....

IMHO, I don't think that to have one drink would really have any bearing on being able to carry or not. But how many people, once they have a drink in their hand, can limit themselves to one beer? In the interest of keeping it simple...I would not drink while carrying. To many potential variables, that become out of one's control once alcohol is on board. In any sort of situation/litigation, once alcohol is mentioned or brought into the picture, it immediately changes the dynamics and is heavily frowned upon by the court.
    funwitHK
    Aim Low, don't be Disappointed, and Reach your Goals.

I will do the same if I see someone consuming alcohol and driving. I will notify LE and let them sort out if the party is intoxicated or not. I will remove myself and family as far away from the OFFENDING threat as possible. Alcohol and guns do not mix. Alcohol and driving do not mix. Just tell me how many people have claimed they can down a six pack and still be competent behind the wheel? Every person that has been involved in a motor vehicle accident after consuming "1 or 2" drinks with dinner had thought moments before they could handle it and "know" their limits.

I will say it again. Want to have a few drinks with dinner - leave the gun at home. Want to have a few drinks at dinner - don't drive.

If carrying while consuming is legal - I would rather not have the right to carry. I would encourage any lawmaker visiting this site to look at the number of people who have consumed while carrying and either restrict carrying while consuming or ban carrying where any alcohol is consumed - take your pick.

I know a prior poster in FL had a bunch of LEOs consuming - I have no idea what Florida's law or the local law is there concerning LEOs consuming while carrying - but do that around here and the LEOs would be out of a job.

Alcohol causes poor judgement - just look at the comment of a few post back where the poster stated "he was more confident after a 6 pack". I rest my case.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Don't drink a sixpack - stick with one. If you're too drunk to drive, then you're too drunk to be doing stupid human tricks with guns.

This debate comes up all the time and I find it interesting that people think that a glass of wine makes you too irrisponsible to have your gun in your holster.

Don't drink before/at the range or out hunting. 1 glass of wine with a large prime rib dinner doesn't make a person incompacitated nor is it the same thing as drinking while out shooting.

"Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post

Alcohol causes poor judgement - just look at the comment of a few post back where the poster stated "he was more confident after a 6 pack". I rest my case.
    Yep that would be me, making that comment and I stand by it. I have seen some folks that have no clue as to how to handle a firearm when completely sober. Maybe you haven't, but just give it time and you will.

Hell for all I know you may not be able to handle a firearm or a gun safely when sober. Do you want me to be the one to tell you if you can carry or drive based on my personal feelings. Maybe your on some other medicine that might affect you, possibly a diabetic, or have taken a cold or allergy medicine. Do you leave your gun at home then, by golly you sure should because I don't trust you with your gun.

Give me a break will you. Someone please pull up some figures of the accidental discharges or accidents with firearms by folks that are totally sober and stupid as opposed to the ones with folks that have had a beer with dinner or whatever.

If carrying while consuming is legal - I would rather not have the right to carry.
    Glad your willing to turn in your license, I think the rest of us will probably want to keep ours.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I will do the same if I see someone consuming alcohol and driving. I will notify LE and let them sort out if the party is intoxicated or not. I will remove myself and family as far away from the OFFENDING threat as possible. Alcohol and guns do not mix. Alcohol and driving do not mix. Just tell me how many people have claimed they can down a six pack and still be competent behind the wheel? Every person that has been involved in a motor vehicle accident after consuming "1 or 2" drinks with dinner had thought moments before they could handle it and "know" their limits.

I will say it again. Want to have a few drinks with dinner - leave the gun at home. Want to have a few drinks at dinner - don't drive.

If carrying while consuming is legal - I would rather not have the right to carry. I would encourage any lawmaker visiting this site to look at the number of people who have consumed while carrying and either restrict carrying while consuming or ban carrying where any alcohol is consumed - take your pick.

I know a prior poster in FL had a bunch of LEOs consuming - I have no idea what Florida's law or the local law is there concerning LEOs consuming while carrying - but do that around here and the LEOs would be out of a job.

Sounds to me your drunk on pride.

I guess everybody around you has to conform to your opinion, or seek the consequences

I hate to see your kind out in public......MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY BUD......no matter what, even if legal !! (This is all I can gather from you on this thread).....You don't do what I agree with so your in trouble bud, POLICE!!! he's over there legally drinking but I don't like it so you deal with it!! Jeezz Whatever......again get over yourself.

How about you just leave.....hmm? is that to much? Or you have to prove a point that your not happy with ones LEGAL actions and cause a stink.

No matter...I wouldn't have a problem with you in a bar area...cause you wouldn't know I'm carrying. So I degress.....

It's not a smart thing to drink while carrying outside the home, I cannot fathom why someone would believe it's a good idea - legal or otherwise.

I would suggest the mods merge this with the last debate on the topic and make it a closed sticky. No one ever changes their mind and it's the same crap over and over again.

Someone all high and mighty thinks that we should have prohibition all over again and that whenever anyone has a glass of wine or a bottle of beer they suddenly become a raging murderer ready to mow down children in the streets with their gun or their car. Should even the taste of alcohol touch their lips there is no way they could say no to the evil voice telling them to drink another and another!

Then you have the other camp that think it's a terrible idea because you'll be crucified in court if you ever have to defend yourself.

If you don't want to drink, then don't. Quit telling other people how to live their lives and get over yourself. It's the same mindset as the anti-gunners, just a different topic.

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    It's not a smart thing to drink while carrying outside the home, I cannot fathom why someone would believe it's a good idea - legal or otherwise.
    There are numerous people who think your carrying a gun is a bad idea for many reasons. What do you think when they stick their nose in your business and tell you about it? Or petition their elected officials?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Legal in MA (concealed) and VA (open carry).

I have been doing this for years and have had zero issues or problems.
    Bars, restaurants, eateries of all sorts including Bennigans and Outback, night clubs, strip bars, bowling alleys, pool halls, public parks at family picnics, town and city concert venues including beer and wine tasting events, live music establishments, and the Mass Mutual Center sporting arena to take my kids to see Disney on Ice several weeks ago...

You name the place, venue, event, or reason and I have legally carried there where alcoholic products were sold and served.

How folks feel as much is a bad idea is beyond me.

Being around alcohol does _NOT_ oblige me to purchase and partake be it on site or off such as purchasing beer or liquor from a package store, while armed.

As a grown adult thinking and acting person I quite simply make the adult choice to _NOT_ drink alcohol while carrying. Period.
    It matters not where I be be it a hockey game or a neighborhood block party or I be at a facility watching a sporting event while eating hot wings and nachos. There is no law requiring me to order and drink beer. Not even if those around me or even within my immediate party are doing so and ordering pitchers.

What's the problem?
    It's easy enough to say "No" as it is to say"Yes" to an offer or request.
    It's easy enough to say "Coke" or "Sprite" or "Applejuice" (yes I do and and have many time ordered applejuice in lieu of a beer) or even "Water" as it is to say "Beer", "Wine", or "Liquor".

In fact I have found numerous times that if I tell the bar tender or waiter/waitress that I am a designated driver, even when I am alone...my own designated driver, that they will in response offer me my first 'drink' for free if not let me have free refills of same too including once several tall glasses of soda with ice at a strip club. And they say you get nothing for free at those establishments.

Just as I am at home or on the streets any other place any other day of the week be I armed or unarmed, there is nothing making me to choose to drink alcohol but me and my own choice. I'm a big boy not a child or teen subject to peer pressures real or imaginary.

For those who feel and think that lawful carry in a bar by lawful acting adult persons such as myself is a danger to them or us should then think or rather rethink their entire position as in regard to citizen carry and even the RKBA.
    Reason being the same thought and supposition that by being within proximity to alcohol at such places will cause an otherwise adult and sane person to become overcome in the immediate with a need to drink are the _exact_ same thoughts and suppositions that anti-carry persons have and state as in regard to folks walking around with loaded guns on them tempted to shoot them or victimize persons at every corner and who ever might happen to cut them off on the highway.

You and they are seated in the same boat at different ends paddling in unison to the same drum.
    Think about that and be honest with yourself as in relation to your views, and own personal position as based on your own self and actions or inaction.

This kind of item happens to me all the time at my local Whole Foods that is licensed to sell beer, wine, and liquor.
    Every week they have a formal beer and wine tasting event and as well at random times throughout the week when I stop in to buy beer, wine, or food they have some product demo person with samplings in small cups freely offering them to walkers by.
    I always refuse the offer and simply move in with my life, while walking around armed with firearms and commonly a knife too. Nobody gets hurt and I _choose_ to continue with my day stone sober acting as an adult.

- Janq

P.S. - I drink only when I am at home.
    And when I have been drinking at home I do not _choose_ to leave my home at all to drive never mind carry anywhere.
    This should be a no brainer and easy to deal with for anyone who deems them self to be an adult in age _and_ mindset.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    P.S. - I drink only when I am at home.
    And when I have been drinking at home I do not _choose_ to leave my home at all to drive never mind carry anywhere.
    This should be a no brainer and easy to deal with for anyone who deems them self to be an adult in age _and_ mindset.
    I agree completely with your post about choice. The meer presence of alcohol doesn't make people drink. I too usually opt for soda rather than a beer. Where I take issue - are you saying that I'm not an adult when I choose to have a glass of wine with my fiancee'?

Who is John Galt?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links